Matt Araiza accused of rape, served with a lawsuit.

bill8164

Based on what we've seen from the accuser's lawyer and how he initiated contact with Araiza and his lawyer, I'm almost willing to bet he came on very unprofessional when initiating discussions with the Bills as well.  If that's the case, you can see a situation where the Bills might not have taken this as seriously as they should have, viewed it as a shakedown, or whatever.  Doesn't completely absolve them from doing their due diligence (and who knows, maybe they did), but you can envision a scenario where they didn't want to engage with this Gilleon fellow and chose to conduct an investigation without any input from him.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

Is Araiza eligible for the Commissioner's exemption list?

The alleged incident happened before he was an NFL player.

It seems the logical choice if applicable.

no he was not yet in the league when his took place.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34460423/buffalo-bills-punter-matt-araiza-two-san-diego-state-football-players-accused-gang-raping-minor-lawsuit

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, just1hugheser said:

Well I actually think due process is working albeit slowly, despite the outside opinions of anyone. 

According to the espn article I read;

-she reported it the day after meaning there will be a ton of physical evidence(piercings being pulled out, bleeding/trauma to repoductive system, roofies in her system, etc.). 

-Furthermore, according to this article the police told her to call him and initiate a conversation in which he admits to having sex with her and that she should be tested for STDs and when she asks more directly he changes his tone saying he doesn't remember-all according to the suit filed by her attorney per this article.(if you are a lawyer would you file a suit alleging these things without corroborating support for/by said police/medical facility she was examined by/told to make this call)

If this article is accurate there should be no doubt one way or the other as there should be more than ample evidence and the DA should clearly proceed with serious charges and everyone involved should be adequately punished.  I mean this for either way it goes, if she and her lawyer are lying there will be no evidence, if they are not then as I said above there is clearly an abundance of evidence.

I'm not linking the espn article because well you all probably already read it or frankly can find it quite quickly.

Yeah whatever Araiza did or did not do, the police have been involved investigating since the day after the incident. 

If there’s enough evidence he did this crime, he’ll be facing criminal charges. That’s the bottom line. 

Just now, Solomon Grundy said:

I have to say, I'm pissed that the Bills didn't thoroughly do their homework and their PI needs to be fired!!!

More annoyed they didn’t see this coming and didn’t keep Haack. But that’s a 1 on a scale of 1 to 10.

we’re talking about a punter 

• Like (+1) 1

The Pegulas have a daughter on the professional women's tennis tour. And a couple other daughters. Terry Pegula is not going to allow this guy to remain on the team.  

Pretty confident Pegula would get rid of him based on the statutory rape claim alone. The guy admitted to having sex with her. He can't survive that even if it was consensual. I am not sure how the guy gets around the 17yr old girl issue even if everything else is false.

Edited by Bills2022
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Yobogoya! said:

Yeah whatever Araiza did or did not do, the police have been involved investigating since the day after the incident. 

If there’s enough evidence he did this crime, he’ll be facing criminal charges. That’s the bottom line. 

Exactly, my only concern is that the Bills were made aware sometime in early June, seems like a bad move to cut Haack limiting options, though the article does say they did an invesitgation.

25 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

I take MASSIVE ethical/moral issues with your #1.  It should not be so easy to turn someone's life upside down on a whim, just because you can afford the consequences without regard to the human life you are destroying.  Only highly paid QBs and the like deserve fundamental rights and respect now?

I hate to be "that B*tch", but I think you've got it mixed about fundamental rights and the behavior of employers here.

Please keep in mind as you read this that I have consistently in this thread promoted a viewpoint of "gather the facts before acting" "wait to gain a full picture before acting".  That said....

It is not a fundamental right of any person to remain employed by any specific employer.  You break a rule, or do something that causes your employer to lose confidence in you, or even causes your employer to be bathed in a negative light, they can and will hand you your walking papers.  This is because employers are all about their business success and what advances their business, no matter what stuff they put out there about "family" and "value for people" and lalala.

There are a lot of things that have a huge impact on a person's life.  Being in an accident that leaves them disabled.  Losing a close family member or loved one.   Dare I say, being the victim of a violent crime?

For an intelligent healthy young person with a college degree, losing a specific job, even if it is his "dream job", should not "destroy" his life.  He should be able to move on, find another job, build another career.  He does not have a fundamental right to be an NFL football player and collect NFL football player money.

Again, I say this as someone who has been consistently up thread promoting a "gather the facts" "investigate" "don't be hasty" mindset.  I frankly find it sickening to read tweets like this:

But, on the other hand, it's just as bad to claim a moral and ethical high ground or "fundamental human right" for someone who faces civil suit and potentially criminal charges to remain employed by a specific employer.  I would have no problem personally if the Bills were to decide to retain Araiza's services pending gathering more evidence, but I don't pretend it's some "fundamental right" of his, or that his life is ruined if he can't play in the NFL. 

And where is the concern for the "fundamental rights" of the alleged victim who, if the allegations prove true, had her life turned upsidedown "on a whim" ?

Edited by Beck Water

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Exactly, why do posters always want threads closed if they dont like that thread?  Like this isn't everyones personal message board, you don't like a thread move on to one you do. 

Same people who think I shouldn't be allowed to watch shows like South Park/Chapelle set, because they're outraged about things they don't consume

• Awesome! (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Bills2022 said:

The Pegulas have a daughter on the professional women's tennis tour. And a couple other daughters. Terry Pegula is not going to allow this guy to remain on the team.  

Pretty confident Pegula would get rid of him based on the statutory rape claim alone. The guy admitted to having sex with her. He can't survive that even if it was consensual. I am not sure how the guy gets around the 17yr old girl issue even if everything else is false.

They've known about this for over a month and yet here he remains.