Matt Araiza accused of rape, served with a lawsuit.

bill8164

8 minutes ago, Billsflyer12 said:

No they don’t.  They can cut someone for anything.  This easy call, if they don’t cut him or put him on commissioners except list this morning then the Bills will and should look worse then they do already.

That’s actually not true. It has be performance/ability related to be cut (remember the whole vaccine thing last year?). At this point it would be tough to prove that he’s being cut for those reasons after cutting Haack already. Sure they could cut him if he did something off the field. But as it stands right now The nflpa and his agent would fight it since he’s only been accused in a civil lawsuit at this point. I don’t believe he can go on the exempt list per the CBA as that’s related to the personal conduct policy and this occurred in college. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Agree 2

Sorry I'm late to this, but was trying to process this since I live in Cleveland and have had to absorb this type of thing since the Browns traded for Watson.  What kind of investigation did the Bills do since they drafted him and why did they release their other punter if they knew this was coming?   My wife won't watch another Browns game because of Watson and I can't blame her if she does the same about the Bills.  I love the team and was hoping this year would finally be their calling.  Even if only partially true based on police tape story, they should drop him and find another punter.  Bad look for team in any event.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, pocoboy said:

Maybe. I'd have to think someone could go "STOP CALLING ME THAT PLEASE" and they'd probably stop. Anyway, maybe I'm wrong. I feel like a guy who's ready to tell a gal he screwed to test for STD's is a guy who has like ZERO moral compass and one should think long and hard about how important he might be to your team that ends up on the 50 in 2 plays and thus an 80 yard punt means little to nothing.

You should read how that conversation is worded in the statement. They're painting the picture they want, but we don't actually know how that conversation went down.

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

There was no shakedown plan. 

Well yeah, I'm sure initially she had hoped the police would charge. And honestly if the evidence is there, every single one of us wishes they would have done their jobs. But then when you hold off filing the civil suit until the perpetrator gets paid...yeah I get it, it doesn't benefit the victim if they file in February and then nobody takes him and she gets nothing. But yeah, this might be the definition of a shakedown plan. Anyway, there's nothing good about any of this.

7 minutes ago, Billsflyer12 said:

No they don’t.  They can cut someone for anything.  This easy call, if they don’t cut him or put him on commissioners except list this morning then the Bills will and should look worse then they do already.

Of course an employer can do whatever they want, but they also need to be ready for the repercussions if the allegations are considered false.  Wonder what kind of lawsuit Araiza could have (probably 100 million or more).

Also, it is not a good habit for any employer to get into to immediately fire an employee for the words of others.  What would stop an allegation of anybody under the sun (meaning you and I)? 

• Agree 1

https://twitter.com/josinaanderson/status/1563133735670755330?s=21&t=G0T0anlcnmsRgq1XFqb7mw

@josinaanderson

LA Times: #Bills P Matt Araiza’s lawyer, Kerry Armstrong, called the rape accusation false. He said his investigator spoke to witnesses from the party who contradict the allegations against Araiza. “It’s a shakedown because he’s now with the Buffalo Bills,” Armstrong said.

• Shocked 1

9 minutes ago, ALF said:

In California, it is illegal for an adult (someone 18 or older) to have sex with a minor (someone younger than 18), even if the sex is consensual. Those who break the law have committed statutory rape.

https://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com/resources/california-statutory-rape-laws.htm#:~:text=In California%2C it is illegal,law have committed statutory rape.

I'm sure this'll be his defense for this aspect of the case:

https://www.alecrose.com/blog-index/exceptions-to-sex-with-an-underage-person-statutory-rape-in-california/#:~:text=Under California laws%2C it is,cannot consent to sexual activities.

Exceptions to Sex with Underage Person in California

There are some exceptions, however, to sex with an underage person in California. These include:

Marital Exception – A spouse having sex with their married minor spouse.

Reasonable Mistake Of Age

Reasonable mistake of age with a person who is 16 or 17 years old. The mistaken belief has to be that the alleged victim was 18 or older.

These exceptions are designed to protect young people from facing criminal charges for having romantic relationships. An experienced attorney can evaluate every last detail of your unique situation and determine your best defense strategy.

Edited by junior

9 minutes ago, ALF said:

In California, it is illegal for an adult (someone 18 or older) to have sex with a minor (someone younger than 18), even if the sex is consensual. Those who break the law have committed statutory rape.

https://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com/resources/california-statutory-rape-laws.htm#:~:text=In California%2C it is illegal,law have committed statutory rape.

He hasn't been arrested, so what would that tell you?

2 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Interesting how DeShaun Watson wasn’t charged with a single crime, yet some Bills fans want the legal system to play out before dumping Araiza. We’re unanimously against Watson, yet these allegations are far more disgusting, but I guess he’s our guy to some. 

I dont want to minimize the trauma watsons' masseuses endured and say those acts weren't disgusting too. Being able to PROVE something beyond a reasonable doubt is a much higher standard of proof than a preponderance of the evidence in a civil  case. In this case case a lawsuit has been filed.  But my understanding is no formal charges...yet. I would hope the Bills fanbase wouldn't be swayed by only what information is available today. I just hope the truth in full eventually comes out and he is exonerated. The charge could not be more horrific. blech

m

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Interesting how DeShaun Watson wasn’t charged with a single crime, yet some Bills fans want the legal system to play out before dumping Araiza. We’re unanimously against Watson, yet these allegations are far more disgusting, but I guess he’s our guy to some. 

Agreed.

We as a Bills nation are weighing what is worse: 24 (un)gentleman’s tugs or 1 brutal rape.

Man, this is just disturbing and disgusting.

I am not judging on this one, but just in general…my God men, come on.  Come on, we have to be better than this. Deferring to the wills of our pen**es is utter and complete none sense and needs to stop. Ridiculous.

Edit: go jerk *** you f’n cretins, instead of hurting another human.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

In this day in age…. You have to just let it play out. I’m not taking anyones side. This is sloppy and has just too many questions to be answered. 

I hate responses on here that say “this looks bad, just cut him”…. Why? There is too much false accusations that get thrown around daily. If he’s guilty let them prove their case, if he’s not the truth will come out. That’s it. I am not leaning one way or another and I could care less how this “looks”….

Of course it has to “play out.” It does not have to play out with Araiza on the team. Cut him now.

The NFL investigated Danny boy therefore he’s innocent.

Cleveland investigated Watson therefore he’s innocent.

The league investigated Miami & Cleveland for tanking, therefore they didn’t.

Those are only some of the most recent investigations conducted by team or league that were roundly criticized here. Look back a few years and you’ll find many, many more.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

My opinion is he should be gone if he was involved with the rape in the bedroom. 2nd point. Usually some more women will step forward saying things about matt. Because guys that do this kind of thing are not a one off. So let’s see if other girls come forward with other encounters with matt. Seems to me no other girls have stepped forward to say yeah he a scum bag and he did this and that to me. We know nothing at this point but speculation from one side.  

Edited by oldschoolfootball1963

3 minutes ago, Dave in Avon Lake now said:

Sorry I'm late to this, but was trying to process this since I live in Cleveland and have had to absorb this type of thing since the Browns traded for Watson.  What kind of investigation did the Bills do since they drafted him and why did they release their other punter if they knew this was coming?   My wife won't watch another Browns game because of Watson and I can't blame her if she does the same about the Bills.  I love the team and was hoping this year would finally be their calling.  Even if only partially true based on police tape story, they should drop him and find another punter.  Bad look for team in any event.

I can summarize:

- nobody know the real facts

- bills might have known before releasing hack 

- the accusation is pretty ugly

- there are 89 pages of solid armchair quarterbacking and speculation 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yes I read it, do you even understand what a lawsuit is?  I can literally file a lawsuit tomorrow against you for what ever I want…does it make a true? 

A lawsuit isn’t an indication of confirmed guilt.

I mean you can but if there is no basis that's falsifying legal documents.

I mean I hope you sue me tomorrow for a bogus claim so I can come back at you with defamation, slander etc

Edited by CountDorkula
  • Eyeroll 2

1 minute ago, LeGOATski said:

You should read how that conversation is worded in the statement. They're painting the picture they want, but we don't actually know how that conversation went down.

I just can't get over the fact this team, that has to have one of the lowest 3-and-out rates in the league, was infatuated with drafting the best punter. It serves them right in some ways. Yeah Haack stunk. Just that nobody's gonna vet a punter, and so they pissed a 6th round pick because that was a "position of need" because they have so few.

• Eyeroll 3
  • Sad 1
  • Dislike 1