Jump to content

Hodgins must stay


Recommended Posts

The determining factor in whether or not Hodgins makes the roster will be his ability to effectively play special teams. 

Like it or not, that's what a WR6 needs to be able to do to be worth his roster spot.

Hodgins got special teams snaps on Saturday against the Colts. Kumerow got none.

If Hodgins shows that he can be a reasonably good special teams player, his apparent offensive superiority over Kumerow, younger age, and the fact that the Bills drafted him may all combine to secure him the last roster spot at WR.

It's all going to come down to his special teams performance the next two weeks.

  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Logic said:

The determining factor in whether or not Hodgins makes the roster will be his ability to effectively play special teams. 

Like it or not, that's what a WR6 needs to be able to do to be worth his roster spot.

Hodgins got special teams snaps on Saturday against the Colts. Kumerow got none.

If Hodgins shows that he can be a reasonably good special teams player, his apparent offensive superiority over Kumerow, younger age, and the fact that the Bills drafted him may all combine to secure him the last roster spot at WR.

It's all going to come down to his special teams performance the next two weeks.


If, and only if, the Bills are ultra-confident in McKenzie and Shakir, maybe you cut Crowder and go with Hodgins as WR5 and Kumerow as WR6. 
 

Slot WR is a big part of our Offense, so that’s a risk given Crowder is a reliably good slot - but if he’s currently WR5 (looks like he is) and you’re confident in the young guys, keep Hodgins and then you always have the option of signing OBJ during the season as well. 

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

When the Bills drafted him and Davis Beane & company thought the 2 of them were great pick ups in that draft & would be ere for quite a while his injuries have kept him from developing into the WR they thought he could be but now he's healthy .

 

Given who they have in that room there will be some very hard decisions that need to be made & seeing what he did in that game if by chance he is let go there will be another team waiting in the wings to ***** him up as soon as he hits the market but i hope he might be able to be a part of this team .

 

I would rather keep him than Crowder given his age and the upside that he could bring not to mention now would be a great time to extend him to a friendly contract because of the Bills giving him the chances to get healthy & be a part of the team going forward .

 

One would think as smart as Beane has been this is at the very least a thought that has crossed his mind since the game/training camp .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, SCBills said:


If, and only if, the Bills are ultra-confident in McKenzie and Shakir, maybe you cut Crowder and go with Hodgins as WR5 and Kumerow as WR6. 
 

Slot WR is a big part of our Offense, so that’s a risk given Crowder is a reliably good slot - but if he’s currently WR5 (looks like he is) and you’re confident in the young guys, keep Hodgins and then you always have the option of signing OBJ during the season as well. 

 

Just keep 7.  Gilliam as FB/TE3 and cut sweeney.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

The determining factor in whether or not Hodgins makes the roster will be his ability to effectively play special teams. 

Like it or not, that's what a WR6 needs to be able to do to be worth his roster spot.

Hodgins got special teams snaps on Saturday against the Colts. Kumerow got none.

If Hodgins shows that he can be a reasonably good special teams player, his apparent offensive superiority over Kumerow, younger age, and the fact that the Bills drafted him may all combine to secure him the last roster spot at WR.

It's all going to come down to his special teams performance the next two weeks.

I for one hope he makes it, he certainly appears to be a better wide out than JK, and as we all know, having quality backup receivers with good hands is crucial, especially when making post season runs.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, SCBills said:


If, and only if, the Bills are ultra-confident in McKenzie and Shakir, maybe you cut Crowder and go with Hodgins as WR5 and Kumerow as WR6. 
 

Slot WR is a big part of our Offense, so that’s a risk given Crowder is a reliably good slot - but if he’s currently WR5 (looks like he is) and you’re confident in the young guys, keep Hodgins and then you always have the option of signing OBJ during the season as well. 


Agreed.

Hodgins' particular size and skillset aren't really matched by anyone else on the roster. Maybe they end up feeling like Crowder's skillset is redundant with McKenzie and Shakir, whereas Hodgins offers more unique abilities. Hodgins also seems to have the ability to both play outside AND be a big slot, whereas Crowder is pretty much slot only.

Maybe it's not really Hodgins vs Kumerow. Maybe it's Hodgins vs Crowder.

On the other hand, special teams locks Matakevitch, Neal, and Taiwan Jones didn't play on Saturday. Kumerow did. So Kumerow is likely not a lock.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SCBills said:


If, and only if, the Bills are ultra-confident in McKenzie and Shakir, maybe you cut Crowder and go with Hodgins as WR5 and Kumerow as WR6. 
 

Slot WR is a big part of our Offense, so that’s a risk given Crowder is a reliably good slot - but if he’s currently WR5 (looks like he is) and you’re confident in the young guys, keep Hodgins and then you always have the option of signing OBJ during the season as well. 

 

Hodgins has 2 paths to the final 53...one in his control, and one not in his control.

  1. In his control:  ST Impact - Bottom line, if you are going to be a WR 6 or 7, you have to be reliable on ST.  There is just no other reason to keep them given those guys will not likely see but a handful of snaps, if any, at WR during the season.  No one outside the top 5 WR on the depth chart have even amassed a 100 yards on the season the past 2 years. 
  2. Out of his control:  Crowder doesn't make the final 53 - If Crowder ends up being a surprise cut/trade, that would open up a spot for a 5th WR, which at that point, your ability as a receiver plays a bigger role in final roster decisions because you will likely see the field some, and could play more if any injuries happen during the season.  So ST impact doesn't weigh quite as heavy as it would for a WR6 or WR7 would.
    1. I guess one could argue part of this is in Hodgins control, and that is he needs to play well enough they have the confidence to keep him as the 5th WR over someone more accomplished like Crowder.  But ultimately, I think its more on Crowder on whether or not he starts to make a case he must be on the final 53 over these next 2 weeks after falling behind while dealing with minor injuries.  

Thats really it for Hodgins, and he is trending in the right direction right now and I think gone from an after thought to at the very least a real tough decision.  The one thing about Hodgins is we have never seen him with the ones though and he has struggled with injuries.  Crowder is still 28 and shown he can produce as a starter even though his whole career he was saddled with bad QB's in bad offenses on losing teams.  So I still think Crowder has a solid shot to remain on the 53, so Hodgins probably needs to demonstrate he can be reliable on ST IMHO to make this team.  

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Airseven said:

Hodgins can excel as the gameday healthy scratch.

 

If you mean that Hodgins could make the team because of his WR skills this year and not need to have ST skills because he will be

a healthy scratch to start the season, I totally agree.

 

I'll add that there is only a need for 6 or 7 "core" (4 way) special teamers.  Guys that are in addition to K, P, LS, PR, KR's.

Not every depth guy HAS to contribute to special teams.

 

Then again, your post could have been sarcastic!  LOL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, hemma said:

We only had 18 first downs yesterday and he accounted for 4 of them.

 

If he can get that kind of output in the coming games against the 1st/2nd teams, he should make the team, regardless of ST usage.

 

What about his two prior years of not being able to stay healthy? AND, can he play on ST? That should be a consideration when making a decision.

Edited by Beast
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Beast said:

 

What about his two prior years of not being able to stay healthy? AND, can he play on ST? That should be a consideration when making a decision.

One year of not healthy. He was on ps most of last year.

 Jeesh - start holding ‘healthy’ over players’ heads and 1/3 of the current players in the NFL will need to pack.

 

As for special teams, let’s see what happens.  

Let’s also see what happens with dropped balls, receptions, yardage and fumbles.

 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Beast said:

 

What about his two prior years of not being able to stay healthy? AND, can he play on ST? That should be a consideration when making a decision.

He can certainly plays STs, he has been taking snaps in practice, the injury thing is getting over blown a bit, name me ten players that haven’t been injured during their time playing football…, see, it’s all of them…, 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Beast said:

 

What about his two prior years of not being able to stay healthy? AND, can he play on ST? That should be a consideration when making a decision.

 

Unless it becomes a specific recurring injury,  or unless the team doctors think he's made of glass or something,  I'd write it off as bad luck.  His potential special teams contribution is an important factor,  but I don't think it's all-important,  dependent upon the coaching staff's view of his potential on offense and keeping in mind that he's on a 6th round contract for the next two seasons. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

He can certainly plays STs, he has been taking snaps in practice, the injury thing is getting over blown a bit, name me ten players that haven’t been injured during their time playing football…, see, it’s all of them…, 

 

At the same time, name me ten lower round picks that have missed their first two seasons due to i jury and then bounced back.

 

As I said earlier, I'm pulling for the kid but injury history and ST play certainly will be a deciding factor in this. 

 

The old saying of the best ability is availabilty rings true in the NFL.

Edited by Beast
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

 

Hodgins has 2 paths to the final 53...one in his control, and one not in his control.

  1. In his control:  ST Impact - Bottom line, if you are going to be a WR 6 or 7, you have to be reliable on ST.  There is just no other reason to keep them given those guys will not likely see but a handful of snaps, if any, at WR during the season.  No one outside the top 5 WR on the depth chart have even amassed a 100 yards on the season the past 2 years. 
  2. Out of his control:  Crowder doesn't make the final 53 - If Crowder ends up being a surprise cut/trade, that would open up a spot for a 5th WR, which at that point, your ability as a receiver plays a bigger role in final roster decisions because you will likely see the field some, and could play more if any injuries happen during the season.  So ST impact doesn't weigh quite as heavy as it would for a WR6 or WR7 would.
    1. I guess one could argue part of this is in Hodgins control, and that is he needs to play well enough they have the confidence to keep him as the 5th WR over someone more accomplished like Crowder.  But ultimately, I think its more on Crowder on whether or not he starts to make a case he must be on the final 53 over these next 2 weeks after falling behind while dealing with minor injuries.  

Thats really it for Hodgins, and he is trending in the right direction right now and I think gone from an after thought to at the very least a real tough decision.  The one thing about Hodgins is we have never seen him with the ones though and he has struggled with injuries.  Crowder is still 28 and shown he can produce as a starter even though his whole career he was saddled with bad QB's in bad offenses on losing teams.  So I still think Crowder has a solid shot to remain on the 53, so Hodgins probably needs to demonstrate he can be reliable on ST IMHO to make this team.  


 

Although I agree - I think there is a 3rd and 4th way I believe for him to make the roster and it is still out of his control.

 

3) If the Bills decide Cam Lewis is potentially to good a prospect to risk cutting.  They had Lewis playing Gunner on kicks and if he replaces Kumerow on ST - that could open a spot up for Crowder and Hodgins (where depending on the team 1 of them is inactive to allow Lewis to be active).  
 

I could see the Bills go heavy at CB for ST and go lighter at WR with less responsibility on special teams - maybe Shakir with returns.

 

4) Gilliam being TE3/FB might also be a route to either Blackshear or Hodgins on this team if they feel either Sweeney or Howard just does not stack up to the talent level of others.  If they go light at TE you may have the extra spot to keep Kumerow and Hodgins and have 7 WRs like last year.

 

Your 2 routes are most common, but heavy at CB for special teams or light at TE due to lack of talent could open a spot for Hodgins on the roster, but most likely not a weekly dress position.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Beast said:

 

At the same time, name me ten lower round picks that have missed their first two seasons due to i jury and then bounced back.

 

As I said earlier, I'm pulling for the kid but injury history and ST play certainly will be a deciding factor in this. 

 

The old saying of the best ability is availabilty rings true in the NFL.

All the points folk are making in this thread are valid, to include what you posted, it’s is gonna be a narrow window for him to make the 53, especially if they go with 6 WRs, if the go with 7 he has a slightly bigger window. It would suck if we attempt to practice squad the guy and he get poached by another team going through the waiver process, we shall see. 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There’s a human side to this too. After Crowders volleyball set to a defender the other afternoon I’m guessing the Bills go with the guy they already know (Hodgins) over a Jets cast off. Now, it’s only one game but Crowder needs to step it up or say goodbye.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...