Rd 6, Pick 180 (1): Punter Matt Araiza, San Diego State

DJB

18 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

As stated by NFL coaches

You just don't have time for the backup quarterback to be practicing holding all day 

The punter and kickers work together.. they're together all day and can work on it

Besides why would we think Keenum could learn to hold any better than the Araiza?

I’m loving this thread. 

On a serious note, Punt God has two added benefits outside of punting:

- He’s a backup FG kicker if something happened to Bass mid-game (a luxury most teams don’t have.

- He’s easily the fastest punter in the league if we want to do a trick play.

6 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

if he is shaky as a holder, the Bills will be really stuck. They can’t sign Araiza to the PS, as he will Be poached. They can’t sign two active punters to the roster. And they can’t afford to roll the dice in a SB year on someone who may mess up Bass as a bad holder. I think they learned from their mistake with Bojo, who screwed up Bass constantly and almost ended Mason Crosby’s career last year. 

Given how little the team punts, i suspect they would go with Haack if Araiza is a shaky holder, and pray Haack improves as a punter. 

Looks like someone doesn’t know the rules.

Teams can protect up to 3 players on the practice squad.

6 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

if he is shaky as a holder, the Bills will be really stuck. They can’t sign Araiza to the PS, as he will Be poached. They can’t sign two active punters to the roster. And they can’t afford to roll the dice in a SB year on someone who may mess up Bass as a bad holder. I think they learned from their mistake with Bojo, who screwed up Bass constantly and almost ended Mason Crosby’s career last year. 

Given how little the team punts, i suspect they would go with Haack if Araiza is a shaky holder, and pray Haack improves as a punter. 

Does praying work? 

Pros: punter that can truly flip the field…the #1 defense just went from starting at their 35+ to starting inside their 25.

Pros: while hopefully never used, as a left footed kicker the onside game could’ve gotten interesting, especially with the new rules.

cons: Holding, are we going to see 2 punters with one a designated holder?  I’ve said this in previous posts.  He was a kicker too and obviously didn’t hold his own kick.  Bojo ruined Crosby this past year, I don’t want to see Bass have a setback.  We’ll lose more games with a 10% lower FG % over a 10+ yard punting difference. So I’m actually saying, keep MH too as a designated holder.

• Dislike 1

5 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

What I don't get is... why a team (or the teams fans) that almost never punts wants a punt god?

Seems like the NY Jets could really use him. 😄

that's overstated as we still punt over a quarter of the time.  it's like how we only average 2 FG attempts a game but it's still nice to have a great placekicker.

araiza's the ultimate field flipper.  now, any time the bills are in bad field position (like after a 3-and-out), the opposing team is in bad field position.  opposing DCs will have to gameplan around Araiza and make sure Buffalo always gets a couple of first downs before playing D for real.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

that would be my preference, but they aren’t going to take him out of the QB room or waste a gameday spot on a holder. I am pretty sure it has to be Azaria. And if he can’t do it, Haack wins the punting job. 

There isn’t a punting competition between Haack and Araiza. That was decided the minute the Bills turned in the card. The guy holds FBS records for gross average, punts over 50, punts over 60, etc… When they (correctly) decided to add him the job was GUARANTEED to be his. They went from the lowest average in the NFL to that.

If he’s an abomination as a holder they’ll burn another spot on the game day roster to hold. Maybe they even train someone like Kumerow for that role? It probably increases his value. Yes, I understand that other teams aren’t doing that. The Bills will. If he can hold, even better. 

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, eball said:

Yeah, @Kirby Jackson, Haack is toast.  But this thread is hilarious.  I don’t want the Bills to punt more than 1-2 times a game.

I don’t think that they’ll punt often. It’s nice though to have that weapon when it’s needed. There was a game this year where Haack was a disaster. They still won the game (it might have been Miami or the Jets). He was booed off the field. He also had the punt blocked against Pittsburgh. Haack was the worst player on the roster (and that might include the complete 90 man version). The Punt God is a massive upgrade.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

He has a role. Teach Araiza everything he knows about holding and then get cut. 

ain't it the truth. And Haack deep down knows it too. He will hopefully have a good camp to showcase his gifts so he will catch on with another team.  

But I will say this: if the rookie for whatever reason doesn't stick on our roster look for THAT thread  to go 100 pages EASY 😜

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, muppy said:

ain't it the truth. And Haack deep down knows it too. He will hopefully have a good camp to showcase his gifts so he will catch on with another team.  

But I will say this: if the rookie for whatever reason doesn't stick on our roster look for THAT thread  to go 100 pages EASY 😜

I think Beane said Bass and Ferguson would be helping Arazia in terms of holding. I remember referencing it at the time, why Haack wouldn’t help too. Especially as, in the same comment, Beane called him an elite holder.

55 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

There isn’t a punting competition between Haack and Araiza. That was decided the minute the Bills turned in the card. The guy holds FBS records for gross average, punts over 50, punts over 60, etc… When they (correctly) decided to add him the job was GUARANTEED to be his. They went from the lowest average in the NFL to that.

If he’s an abomination as a holder they’ll burn another spot on the game day roster to hold. Maybe they even train someone like Kumerow for that role? It probably increases his value. Yes, I understand that other teams aren’t doing that. The Bills will. If he can hold, even better. 

When did backup QB’s stop holding?

How much extra time does it take from a backup?

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce

PuntGod! 

We are NOT worthy!

1 minute ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

When did backup QB’s stop holding?

Who better than try a fake punt and pass?

What? Hey RIP Van... Have you been sleeping 😴 thru The Revolution! 😉 😜 

5 hours ago, gobills404 said:

Can’t believe we wasted a draft pick on a guy who isn’t even gonna play against the patriots 

😆...I see what you did here! 

5 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

I think Beane said Bass and Ferguson would be helping Arazia in terms of holding. I remember referencing it at the time, why Haack wouldn’t help too. Especially as, in the same comment, Beane called him an elite holder.

I read how totally great a holder Haack is. I would think reps and being taught technique would help any rookie player improve. I read Araiza has already picked the brains of NFL players on their thinking.... . It just may be a natural talent that a person has in abundance more than other players. Kind of like long snapper. Its a unique gift right? I'm asking for conversation sake. I'm not sure.

8 hours ago, The Dean said:

You are missing the point. Holding is actually a skill and the entire process needs to go the same way every time. So, the long snapper, kicker, punter, etc, work together as a unit. You simply don't have non ST players holding anymore. The job is too important. And I expect, nuanced.  Yes, "anyone can hold" but can they do it the same way, every time? With the timing, laces out, etc?

I'm shocked by the disrespect these positions get from some here. ST is very important. And there are skills and teamwork that involve practice. And constant improvement. So, maybe teach a deep roster WR/RB to hold?  Sure he might be able to get the necessary reps. But they you have one extra ST player on your active roster who normally would be a healthy inactive. 

Hey Ferguson! @BringBackFergy ^^^ Read what this guy wrote!  He gets it! Kinda like other jobs in society! 😆 😉 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.