What are your expectations for the rookie Beane drafts in the 1st round this year?

intimidatortj

54 minutes ago, GolfandBills said:

There will be game ready CBs at 25 and rounds 2/3

The question I have is will there be any good prospects by 89?
How ‘bout 121?
It would be awsome if we could get our 2 CBs in the 3rd njd fourth rounds. I’m not sure they’ll be any left by 89?
I just don’t know? But if we could back to back in the 3rd and 4th we could go WR and RB in the first two.

Or better yet a trade down to 34 for an extra third.

Go WR, RB, CB, CB, OG…. If we trade down maybe we could trade up in the second and end up with picks 34 and 44….

Maybe get Watson and Hall? Maybe that’s crazy. I think both are rising but you never know till they’re picked.

Get me Hall and Watson, two good CB prospects and an OG….by the end of the 5th round and we won the draft from 25….

LOL, we’re probably drafting a CB at 25…. Just a boring draft….

48 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

25, yes. Even if we have to settle on a Kyler Gordon, Kaiir Elam, or Daxton Hill (if Beane is okay with a Safety/Nickel CB projecting to Outside CB in the Pros). Rounds 2 and 3? I don't think so unless we move up from 57. Gordon, Elam, Hill, McCreary, and Woolen are all gone by then in most Mock simulations I've done. 

Could someone overachieve? Of course. But I'm not throwing Martin Emerson or Cam Taylor-Britt out there to start, alongside one of these leftovers in FA, and Dane Jackson and feeling good about it.

Who’s to say trading up in rd 2 isn’t a good possibility? Beane is as aggressive as any GM in the league trading up. 

2021 corner draft picks drafted after pick 57- Nate Hall, Elijah Molden Paulson Adebo, Ambry Thomas, Demmodore Lenoir, Benjamin St Juste all played quality football at times last year.  And whoever it is will be getting the ultimate support system with McD and Frazier + Hyde and Poyer backing them up. 

Their track record shows they don’t need 1st rd corners. They need traits. Traits can be had throughout the draft.  Dane Jackson and Levi Wallace were our starting corners for almost half the year and we had the #1 pass d…..by FAR.   Now we have Von Miller and will have Tre’davious back.  

yes, we need to add 2 outside able corners. That can be done without spending 25 on a corner.  

do you think these guys are good picks @ 25?

Gordon

McDuffie

Elam

Woolen

if Booth or Dax Hill are there…..we should probably take them.  Not so sure about the above guys.  McDuffie would, but his short arms matter.  They never have short armed boundary corners.  Why would they start now (and use our first rd pick on a corner that doesn’t fit what they like?).  

51 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Who’s to say trading up in rd 2 isn’t a good possibility? Beane is as aggressive as any GM in the league trading up. 

2021 corner draft picks drafted after pick 57- Nate Hall, Elijah Molden Paulson Adebo, Ambry Thomas, Demmodore Lenoir, Benjamin St Juste all played quality football at times last year.  And whoever it is will be getting the ultimate support system with McD and Frazier + Hyde and Poyer backing them up. 

Their track record shows they don’t need 1st rd corners. They need traits. Traits can be had throughout the draft.  Dane Jackson and Levi Wallace were our starting corners for almost half the year and we had the #1 pass d…..by FAR.   Now we have Von Miller and will have Tre’davious back.  

yes, we need to add 2 outside able corners. That can be done without spending 25 on a corner.  

Gordon

McDuffie

Elam

Woolen

if Booth or Dax Hill are there…..we should probably take them.  Not so sure about the above guys.  McDuffie would, but his short arms matter.  They never have short armed boundary corners.  Why would they start now (and use our first rd pick on a corner that doesn’t fit what they like?).  

Ed Oliver didn't have the ideal measurables for Beane and McDermott either. But they took him anyways. Because talent sometimes trump's measurements. McDuffie didn't allow a TD in his last two seasons at Washington, where he surely lined up against 6 foot tall capable D1 WR's. He also had a 38.5" vertical jump at his Pro Day, which would have ranked near the top at the Combine. This makes up for some of his arm length.

Yes, I would Draft McDuffie at 25 in a heartbeat. I would also feel comfortable taking Gordon or Elam there as well. Although I will admit that if the choice is Elam or Gordon and there's someone at another position that is sticking out like a sore thumb, they should probably take them over an Elam or Gordon.

Tre White is on a 9-12 month recovery plan from his surgery he had done on 12/14. I don't see them rushing his recovery and risking re-injury by pushing him back sooner than 9 months out. And there's no saying that when he does hit the field, he's going to be 100% of what he was right off the bat, or will take 100% of the snaps immediately.

And I agree, a move up from the Round 2 is not out of the question. That's why I mentioned it. And in my opinion, if they do decide to go elsewhere in Round 1 without Booth, McDuffie, or Hill on the board - we must move up from 57 to ensure we get a safer bet than what we'd find in Round 3 or risking that one of the Top 9 CB's will still be on the board at 57.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

9 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Ed Oliver didn't have the ideal measurables for Beane and McDermott either. But they took him anyways. Because talent sometimes trump's measurements. McDuffie didn't allow a TD in his last two seasons at Washington, where he surely lined up against 6 foot tall capable D1 WR's. He also had a 38.5" vertical jump at his Pro Day, which would have ranked near the top at the Combine. This makes up for some of his arm length. Yes, I would Draft McDuffie at 25. I would also feel comfortable taking Gordon or Elam there as well.

Tre White is on a 9-12 month recovery plan from his surgery he had done on 12/14. I don't see them rushing his recovery and risking re-injury by pushing him back sooner than 9 months out. And there's no saying that when he does hit the field, he's going to be 100% of what he was right off the bat, or will take 100% of the snaps immediately.

And I agree, a move up from the Round 2 is not out of the question. That's why I mentioned it. And in my opinion, if they do decide to go elsewhere in Round 1 without Booth, McDuffie, or Hill on the board - we must move up from 57 to ensure we get a safer bet than what we'd find in Round 3 or risking that one of the Top 9 CB's will still be on the board at 57.

I’m not saying that they won’t take players that aren’t ideal…..but it’s obviously their preference to.  And Ed wasn’t a freak in terms of height/length, but he is certainly a freak of nature with his explosive power.

I don’t think they’re going to rush him, but that doesn’t mean that they have to draft a cb in rd 1.  A 2nd-3rd rd pick can also fill the roll with the help of a vet FA, regardless of whether or not it will happen.

i agree 💯 

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Gordon

McDuffie

Elam

Woolen

Wallace out played his undrafted status.. but that doesn't mean any old fifth rounder or sixth rounder could come in and produce ... After Norman left Carolina the musical chairs at defensive back didn't work out

There's been hundreds of NFL players who have played good for 5 or 10 games stretches

It's a different animal to do it week in and week out for 17 games let alone multiple years 

And the fact they didn't retain Wallace shows maybe they do want better ... If One of their top guys are on the board at 25 I think they will take him 

Dane Jackson played well last year in spot duty... That doesn't mean the bills can't do better

Edited by Buffalo716

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Wallace out played his undrafted status.. but that doesn't mean any old fifth rounder or sixth rounder could come in and produce ... After Norman left Carolina the musical chairs at defensive back didn't work out

There's been hundreds of NFL players who have played good for 5 or 10 games stretches

It's a different animal to do it week in and week out for 17 games let alone multiple years 

And the fact they didn't retain Wallace shows maybe they do want better ... If One of their top guys are on the board at 25 I think they will take him 

Dane Jackson played well last year in spot duty... That doesn't mean the bills can't do better

Tbh, part of the reason they didn’t retain Wallace, was money. 
I believe, based off of comments from Beane, that they probably would have matched the offer. Wallace got, but for thinking they had a deal in place with Mckissic (sp) and needed the money for that.

I think that was a contributory factor in why Beane was so pissed at the WCs, because by the time that deal fell through, Wallace had moved on.

For $4m per, Wallace would have still been good value, and would have negated the need to get another veteran CB.

For sure they probably think they can do better, but I reckon they would have wanted it to be from competition.

7 minutes ago, Buddo said:

Tbh, part of the reason they didn’t retain Wallace, was money. 
I believe, based off of comments from Beane, that they probably would have matched the offer. Wallace got, but for thinking they had a deal in place with Mckissic (sp) and needed the money for that.

I think that was a contributory factor in why Beane was so pissed at the WCs, because by the time that deal fell through, Wallace had moved on.

For $4m per, Wallace would have still been good value, and would have negated the need to get another veteran CB.

For sure they probably think they can do better, but I reckon they would have wanted it to be from competition.

I agree having Wallace back would have made CB less glaring of a need 

But the bills had plenty of time to sign him over the last few years to a multi year deal and it seems he wasn't that big a priority

Edited by Buffalo716

7 hours ago, intimidatortj said:

Do you think Beane can draft a prospect this year that will have a rookie year better than, equal to, or worse than the following?

• Shaq Lawson
  • Tre' White
  • Tremaine Edmunds
  • Ed Oliver
  • Greg Rousseau

If Beane drafts a rookie that plays equivalent to what #9 pick Ed Oliver did as a rookie, would you be happy?
(Remember he started out very slow...not "starting" quite a few games early on)
How about Shaq's rookie year?  Would you be happy with that?
Tremaine?  Rousseau?

I think we have to keep in mind that many 1st round picks just don't move the needle as much as we hope.

IMO if we draft a DB that plays close to what Tre' White did as a rookie, I would be happy.

If instead the rookie only plays up to what Ed Oliver, Rousseau, Edmunds or Shaq did, I would be a bit disappointed.

PS the best 1st round pick was probably trading the pick to get Stefon Diggs.  Diggs first year in Buffalo was pretty darn good.

My guess is you are going to be disappointed.

The Bills staff brings rookies along very slowly - with only 2 starting as rookies (White and Edmunds) full time in game 1 and the rest working their way into the lineup throughout the year.

Anyone they draft at 25 is most likely riding the bench as a back-up to start the season - the Bills are not drafting for needs currently - the draft is about upcoming needs.  The only position as a rookie that might start is CB, but even then it will just be fill in work as the DB’s get healthy.  

Every other position - including RB - most likely starts as a back-up and has to earn reps.  A rookie RB that struggles blocking will not be playing a bunch of snaps early in the season.

At pick 25 - in a draft with 15-18 1st round level players (and several of those at DE/EDGE) - there are almost no impact players that can “move the needle” on this Bill’s roster.

Edited by Rochesterfan

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

Gordon

McDuffie

Elam

Woolen

We are generally aligned, but the “#1 pass defense” stat is, in my opinion, very misleading.  They played an inordinate number of games against backup and rookie QBs and they also had the wind game in which NE attempted 3 passes.  I am not saying that they were a bad defense, but I think that they benefited greatly by circumstances.

It depends on who it is, what position they are etc. Some guys might be expected to step in and contribute right away, like an RB. But if they draft J Williams from Bama then the expectations are different and we would like to see more as the season goes and he gets healthy.

In my perfect world, someone who is playing regularly no later than three games into the season, and making a notable difference with their performance, 

Is that to much to ask? I think not…

I would hope that Beane in true fashion will draft a player that will have a instant presence on the team & help to make the team as a hole better & into the future.

I along with a lot of others here would love to see a players drafted that could have the look or should i say effect on the team like a TJ Watt but i think he is the exception to the rule so if they have good production & can help the team this year & in the future i for one will be happy .

6 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I’ve said as much.  If their top rated player on the board is a CB, I hope that they take him.  I just don’t want them to reach on a corner.  Looking at this draft, you don’t think that the 2nd and 3rd round options I’ve listed could be viable in our scheme?  I do.  I also think that some of the vet FAs could come in and hold down the fort like a Dane did last season.  Our best asset doesn’t have to be used on a corner just because it’s our biggest hole.  You know that’s not how you draft.  

their history has shown that they don’t place nearly as much value on cb2 as other positions.  In 3 drafts…. He’s drafted 1 corner…..in the 7th round.  They’ve shown that they can run a very good D with 2 nobodies @ corner.   Kevin Johnson and EJ EJ Gaines played very well in our system.  Until they show that shown that they have changed that philosophy, I don’t see why we would assume they will.  

When every defensive player that’s in the rotation is either a first or 2nd round pick or is getting paid decent money defense, one MUST cut corners in certain areas.  The one area where we shouldn’t be cutting corners is protecting our franchise QB and giving him playmakers.  Empower him.  

We also have Siran Neal and Nick Mccloud, who i have tempered hopes for.  

in short….we don’t have to spend our first rd pick on a cornerback just because it’s our biggest need at the moment.  We should be taking the BPA at a relative area of need.  If that’s cb, that’s great for us and I’m all for it.  Just don’t reach.  

I don’t think Booth or Hill are reaches @ 25.  I think the other guys might be (McDuffie only based on his T-rex status, which McB obviously cares about).   

2 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

We are generally aligned, but the “#1 pass defense” stat is, in my opinion, very misleading.  They played an inordinate number of games against backup and rookie QBs and they also had the wind game in which NE attempted 3 passes.  I am not saying that they were a bad defense, but I think that they benefited greatly by circumstances.

It is very misleading…..but it’s true. Teams had very little success passing on us all season.  It has a lot to do with the lack of good QBs we faced last year.  It also had a lot to do with our scheme, our safeties and our pass rush.  Add von Miller.  Add tredavious white mid season.  

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.