Do you remember what you did during recess at school?

Another Fan

Its stuff thats becoming even more and more a distant memory for me but I've been thinking about it a bit recently.

Kickball and touch football were big where I went too school.  Except in like 6th grade when the football rolled out into the highway so that got shut down after that.  

More toward the end of middle school it was just kids BS ing and physical activity stopped.  Now that I type this I remember this fight this kid Vinny was going on all morning about it but landed one shove to the chest and that was the end of it.

High school physical activity more or less stopped.  my best friend and I used to walk around the school though and call it BS laps.  Pretty much doing just that 

Edited by Another Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

We didn't have Recess in middle school or high school.  Our gym class would occasionally have us outside playing touch football or wiffle ball and stuff like that on good weather days.

Now elementary school recess?  Man you just unlocked some memories I haven't thought about it in a very long time!  Those days were legendary....football games that would break out into full tackle games sometimes, Dodgeball games, Tag, and I'm sure all sorts of games were made up back then too.  You know just kids being kids.  I remember at the end of the school year they even let us have a Super Soaker war at the end of the day on the playground.  Yeah where can I sign up to go back and relive those days?

• Like (+1) 2

• Another Fan changed the title to Do you remember what you did during recess at school?
9 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

We didn't have Recess in middle school or high school.  Our gym class would occasionally have us outside playing touch football or wiffle ball and stuff like that on good weather days.

Now elementary school recess?  Man you just unlocked some memories I haven't thought about it in a very long time!  Those days were legendary....football games that would break out into full tackle games sometimes, Dodgeball games, Tag, and I'm sure all sorts of games were made up back then too.  You know just kids being kids.  I remember at the end of the school year they even let us have a Super Soaker war at the end of the day on the playground.  Yeah where can I sign up to go back and relive those days?

I dont recall super soaker wars!  But yeah now that you say that the last day of the school year in elementary school was devoted fully to some sort of activity like kickball outside.  Followed by ice cream afterwards and that was it for the school year.

Its probably still in my mind what I expect life to be in terms of happiness!  

what is the game where a ball is attached to a long chain/cord thing and you punch at it....tetherball I think that's it.  The winning result was fully wrapping the cord around the pole until the ball touched the pole at the top

your opponent tried to prevent you by hitting in opposite direction. I was tall and I think that gave me a bit of advantage. . That was our recess go to.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

I dont recall super soaker wars!  But yeah now that you say that the last day of the school year in elementary school was devoted fully to some sort of activity like kickball outside.  Followed by ice cream afterwards and that was it for the school year.

It wasn't a regular thing, just something they set up for us my last year in Elementary School!  From the perspective of a kid it was definitely awesome!

We always had a "Field Day" type thing on the last day of school during Elementary years.  They would divide all the kids into different teams and have all types of events...I remember tug of war but don't really remember what the rest of them were.  I wonder if they still have it nowadays 

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

Super Soakers hadn't been invented in my day, we did water balloon wars!

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Another Fan said:

Its stuff thats becoming even more and more a distant memory for me but I've been thinking about it a bit recently.

Kickball and touch football were big where I went too school.  Except in like 6th grade when the football rolled out into the highway so that got shut down after that.  

More toward the end of middle school it was just kids BS ing and physical activity stopped.  Now that I type this I remember this fight this kid Vinny was going on all morning about it but landed one shove to the chest and that was the end of it.

High school physical activity more or less stopped.  my best friend and I used to walk around the school though and call it BS laps.  Pretty much doing just that 

I was just talking to my elementary school aged kids about this the other day.  Recess is a huge part of their day, but I feel like we barely had recess as a kid.

Maybe I just can’t remember it— but I have very few memories of recess in elementary  school. Then, beyond that, I don’t remember anything. I think in high school, during lunch, i would play bball in the gym or kick the hackey sack. 

• Like (+1) 1

We had no recess.   No swings, jungle gyms.  However, there were "field days and Junior Olympics" for  nice weather days.

There were soccer contests pitting one class against another.

My kids think we played "Chase the dinosaur." given our advanced age.

• Like (+1) 1

We had "recess" through 4th grade.  Regular playground activities.

Beginning with grade 5, through 8th grade, it was "PLR," or "Post Lunch Relaxation."  PLR took place just outside the school in the back parking lot.  Most kids just shot the breeze.  Some kids threw a football around, but that was about it as far as any kind of physical activity.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

We never had recess in Upstate New York... But children have it here in Ill-Annoy...

Must be a downstate thing! 😆 

You lived in Buffalo; not upstate NY.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

We never had recess in Upstate New York... But children have it here in Ill-Annoy...

Must be a downstate thing! 😆 

We had recess in Rochester, up until 6th grade.  Then after that, lunch/free period where you could do stuff.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.