The USS the Sullivans is Sinking (and I don’t want to swim)

ChevyVanMiller

6 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

I saw an interview on it... they said they weren't going to let it sink. 

Probably listing due to all of the invasive mussels latching on to only one side. That was my cue! 

For those who don't live in the area,  the Sullivans has been leaking for several years. The crew to repair the leaks was supposed to start working  on Monday. I think they were the ones that spotted the listing last night. 

The radio said there are 4 large industrial pumps being used today and are pumping more water out than incoming in.  The ships there in 4-5 feet of water under their keels. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

They should have towed it to a dry dock last summer for repairs. 

Ralph was a Officer on a Navy ship in WWll , I bet his foundation would chip in if asked. They have about $1M raised for repairs already.

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/buffalo/top-stories/2017/05/11/legacy-of-ralph-wilson-jr--honored-at-naval-and-military-park

Edited by ALF

On the aircraft carrier USS Intrepid moored in NYC they have wax pencil markings on the radar machine identifying other ships in the area and one of them is USS The Sullivans.  Not sure if they are original markings or not (there was protective plexiglass over it) but pretty neat either way.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, T&C said:

I saw an interview on it... they said they weren't going to let it sink. 

Probably listing due to all of the invasive mussels latching on to only one side. That was my cue! 

Asian carp on one side. 😉😜😘 

Both ships have been in the mud, stuck for years.  Project Depth has been reduced to 18' since they got there. They haven't dredged it deep like it was in the past.  Little Rock is especially stuck in mud. Sullivans draft 17', Little Rock over 20' 

My first job with Corps was taking these soundings:

https://www.lrb.usace.army.mil/Library/Maps-and-Charts/

Last soundings were 5/2021 according to these charts

The red numbers are below project depth.

They're both totally in muck.  I guess it won't go totally under!

BFLoRiverSoundingsMouth.thumb.jpg.aa613e0176720b6b5f7085ef37657856.jpg

Sorry for poor image, better ones at that link above, .pdf...

Oh... Click on the "Buffalo River"... P1-5 to get those plates...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Asian carp on one side. 😉😜😘 

Both ships have been in the mud, stuck for years.  Project Depth has been reduced to 18' since they got there. They haven't dredged it deep like it was in the past.  Little Rock is especially stuck in mud. Sullivans draft 17', Little Rock over 20' 

My first job with Corps was taking these soundings:

https://www.lrb.usace.army.mil/Library/Maps-and-Charts/

Last soundings were 5/2021 according to these charts

The red numbers are below project depth.

They're both totally in muck.  I guess it won't go totally under!

BFLoRiverSoundingsMouth.thumb.jpg.aa613e0176720b6b5f7085ef37657856.jpg

Sorry for poor image, better ones at that link above, .pdf...

Oh... Click on the "Buffalo River"... P1-5 to get those plates...

So your first job was to determine it was stuck and would sink. Then you sat back and waited? Thank you for your service. 

😄

• Haha (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Thanks Army Corps of Engineers. 

If we dredged that channel deeper... It be in a deeper mess just be thankful BFLo Harbor isn't really a deep water port anymore! Like I noted above, project depth is only maintained to 18'... You'd really be cursing us if we maintained it deeper 

For now both boats are totally on bottom! That's a good thing, right?Except the muck that's probably pouring in!

1 minute ago, BringBackFergy said:

So your first job was to determine it was stuck and would sink. Then you sat back and waited? Thank you for your service. 

😄

How can it sink if it's on bottom.  Looks swamped to me! 😉 😜 

6 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

He was @ Pearl, right?

He was on the Miller after  being stationed at Pearl Harbor (Korean War). Looked up info on the web and the Miller was overhauled in 49-50.  In 51-57  it was circumnavigating.  Later was in the Mediterranean and then in the Cuban blockade in 1961. Was scrapped in 65.

He was on the Miller from Pearl to Alameda, took the train to Buffalo (for leave)then to NYC to get back on it and then to the West Indies and Guatonomo before he was discharged.

The Sullivans might have had met the same fate (scrap heap) if it mad not been named after them.

The local news had a woman who is the granddaughter of one of the brothers on and she is being kept up to date on the effort by the Naval and Serviceman's Park.

Edited by Wacka
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Not sure of the outcome here. Even if they can get her repaired with patch, it’s a band aid solution. Needs a long term solution that the naval park will likely never be able to afford. Something like an 8 million dollar coffer(spelling?) dam. Or a dry dock for the ships to be moored. It’s a feat of engineering they have survived this long given the brutal weather they endure. 

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Not sure of the outcome here. Even if they can get her repaired with patch, it’s a band aid solution. Needs a long term solution that the naval park will likely never be able to afford. Something like an 8 million dollar coffer(spelling?) dam. Or a dry dock for the ships to be moored. It’s a feat of engineering they have survived this long given the brutal weather they endure. 

Good point.  The long term solution here is to simply get rid of the ship.

If past Navy practice is anything to go by, they will make it floatable, tow it to a deep part of the lake, and sink it!

If it's rotting from within I'm not even sure it makes sense to strip it down for scrap metal.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Tack it onto the infrastructure bill!

4 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Good point.  The long term solution here is to simply get rid of the ship.

If past Navy practice is anything to go by, they will make it floatable, tow it to a deep part of the lake, and sink it!

If it's rotting from within I'm not even sure it makes sense to strip it down for scrap metal.

Make it a reef for fish.  In the Corps we had a hopper dredge in Buffalo District... It was the "Markham"....It's now a reef, structure off of the North Carolina coast.

https://www.dredgingtoday.com/2015/03/09/brief-history-of-tshd-markham/

PS: @BringBackFergy @Beerball @Mike in Horseheads @Gugny...

Did you know there was a publication out there called: DredgingToday.com

Man... They got everything! 😉 

58 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I was shocking to find out the hull of the Sullivans is only 3/8 of an inch thick. That seems an unbelievable number. I assume to keep her light enough to maneuver, but man, one bullet probably could have had the power to sink her back in the war. 

Not quite.  They could isolate things.  There's water tight hatches, doors through bulkhead compartments.

Back in the early 1980s... We camped out on Little Rock for a weekend.  We scoured every inch of The Sullivans, opened every hatch, door, went through every bulkhead...etc... Giant hide and seek game! Boy were our leaders and the Naval Park staff (did they even have staff back then) mad as hell... Boy did we get chewed out! 

I think we had a campout the following year and they began to rope areas off! 😆 

Besides Philmont 2 times,  Algonquin/ADK park canoe trips every year... That Little Rock/Sullivans campout ranks up there!

I am dating myself at 54 years old. This was the entertainment of the year on that Little Rock outing when the lights went out!

Mine had the new pass feature! 😆 

s-l640.jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

• 1 month later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.