Fan Duel ranks the top 10 pro athletes in NY

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, buffalo2218 said:

I agree that pitchers have no business being on a list based on athletic players. WIth the NL now having a DH, DeGrom is basically in a county club

The DH in the National League made it more difficult for pitchers; not easier.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, KDIGGZ said:

My readers? I said the readers as in people who read the forum posts. You sound like someone who reads something and then twists it up in your head to make yourself right so no use in continuing here as it will be misconstrued in some weird way. And PS Durant is still an overrated cry baby 👍

Misconstrued?? You posted that your ideas "resonate with the readers", as though that's not weird. What readers?

1 hour ago, ExWNYer said:

The Skanks are not better than the Mets. And NYC has always been and always will be a National League town.

WTF??

You haven't spent much time in "NYC"

1 hour ago, Rigotz said:

If you don't think DeGrom belongs on the list, you haven't watched baseball the past 4 years.

The CY Young award is given to the best pitcher in the league. It is extremely difficult to win.

2021: Injured after 15 games. At the time he was the best pitcher in the league: 1.08 ERA, 0.554 WHIP, 7-2 Record, 14.3 K/9.

2020: 3rd in Cy Young voting.... 2.38 ERA, 0.956 WHIP, 104 strikeouts (more than any pitcher in the NL).

2019: Cy Young award winner

2018: Cy Young award winner

If not the best pitcher in the league, he's easily top 3.

I'm not a Mets fan and don't watch much baseball, but I know enough to not embarrass myself with statement like "DeGrom isn't a top 10 NY athlete."

Cy Young winner.  Top athlete?

image.png.6adb56c286f389ae6cb267d6a6fdb337.png

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

WTF??

You haven't spent much time in "NYC"

I know arguing with people is your thing but when both teams are doing well, the Mets own that town and it's not even close. The Dodgers and Giants were both more popular than the Yankees before they moved West in the 1950s. The Yankees are the team of the bougie. The Cowboys of baseball. Before their departure, the Dodgers and Giants were and the Mets have been since 1962, the team(s) of the blue collar fan.

2 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

I know arguing with people is your thing but when both teams are doing well, the Mets own that town and it's not even close. The Dodgers and Giants were both more popular than the Yankees before they moved West in the 1950s. The Yankees are the team of the bougie. The Cowboys of baseball. Before their departure, the Dodgers and Giants were and the Mets have been since 1962, the team(s) of the blue collar fan.

I'm not arguing---don't have to.  You clearly said NYC "will always be a National League town".  

Sure, many years ago, the Giants and Dodgers were hugely popular.  Since they've left, the Mets have 2 WS wins in their history.  Other than posting these cliched "bougie" vs "blue collar" (you've never been to the Bronx) labels, how did you conclude this?

9 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I'm not arguing---don't have to.  You clearly said NYC "will always be a National League town".  

Sure, many years ago, the Giants and Dodgers were hugely popular.  Since they've left, the Mets have 2 WS wins in their history.  Other than posting these cliched "bougie" vs "blue collar" (you've never been to the Bronx) labels, how did you conclude this?

I've followed baseball my whole life and have family in NYC, as well. I've read enough and heard enough over the tears to know that it is a National League town. Despite their dominance in the '40s and '50s, the Yankees were still not as popular as the Dodgers and Giants. They were mostly middling to bad the majority of the '60s and '70's until George Steinbrenner bought them and they won back-to-back titles in in '77 and '78 before fading into obscurity again in the '80s. The rise of their dynasty in the '90s put them in the forefront of the minds of even casual fans. They are the more storied franchise for sure but NYC is still widely considered a NL town in baseball circles.

4 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

I've followed baseball my whole life and have family in NYC, as well. I've read enough and heard enough over the tears to know that it is a National League town. Despite their dominance in the '40s and '50s, the Yankees were still not as popular as the Dodgers and Giants. They were mostly middling to bad the majority of the '60s and '70's until George Steinbrenner bought them and they won back-to-back titles in in '77 and '78 before fading into obscurity again in the '80s. The rise of their dynasty in the '90s put them in the forefront of the minds of even casual fans. They are the more storied franchise for sure but NYC is still widely considered a NL town in baseball circles.

Spend some time there.

It's exciting when both teams are both doing well (extremely rare, given the Mets seasons), but to say things like "and it's not even close" without any primary knowledge isn't much of an argument for your point.  Even their attendance numbers aren't close.  

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Spend some time there.

It's exciting when both teams are both doing well (extremely rare, given the Mets seasons), but to say things like "and it's not even close" without any primary knowledge isn't much of an argument for your point.  Even their attendance numbers aren't close.  

We'll see if anything changes under Steve Cohen and gives you more tangible evidence. The Mets have been run like a small market club for most of their existence. In any event, I'm not going to belabor the point about whether it's a NL town or not. You're not changing your mind regardless.

9 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

We'll see if anything changes under Steve Cohen and gives you more tangible evidence. The Mets have been run like a small market club for most of their existence. In any event, I'm not going to belabor the point about whether it's a NL town or not. You're not changing your mind regardless.

I can be convinced.  But you really haven't given anything but cliches and a personal anecdote.  Spend some time there

1 hour ago, ExWNYer said:

Lol.  Funny how people can be so delusional. “It’s not even close”……oh man. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Lol.  Funny how people can be so delusional. “It’s not even close”……oh man. 

By that math the Mets have owned that town maybe half a dozen times in 35 years.

Edited by Mr. WEO

6 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

Yeah, you can't but that's fine. You do you.

Do you have anything for us to read that can support this claim?  Or is this just what you’ve always believed….so it must be the truth?  I’m open to the discussion and my thought on the topic can definitely be swayed….but not by what you’ve said in this thread. 

https://sabr.org/journal/article/american-league-or-national-league-who-owns-new-york-city/

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/newyork/news/by-the-numbers-is-ny-a-national-league-or-american-league-city-part-1/

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/newyork/news/by-the-numbers-is-ny-a-national-league-or-american-league-city-part-2/

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

Judge way too low and Diggs too low. No offense to Mets fans but Yankees > Mets just like Giants > Jets who both surprisingly have nobody on this list lol. Durant is a fraud similar to Eichel. Big name that can't lead, can't win on their own. Good player but way overrated

So if you currently play for the Yankees you're automatically better than anyone that currently plays for the Mets? Or are you saying that if you are the best current player on the Yankees it automatically makes you better than the best current player on the Mets? Or is there some other point that you're making here that I'm missing?

12 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

So if you currently play for the Yankees you're automatically better than anyone that currently plays for the Mets? Or are you saying that if you are the best current player on the Yankees it automatically makes you better than the best current player on the Mets? Or is there some other point that you're making here that I'm missing?

Biggest star on the Yankees is almost always going to be a bigger star than anyone on the Mets. Just facts. Just like when Brett Favre went to play for the Jets, it's still the Jets. The Mets can add any old cy young pitchers they want and they are still the Mets as we have seen. It's where careers go to fizzle out and die

3 minutes ago, Tierlifer said:

Jake needs to stay on the field first without missing large chunks of time. Hasn’t happened since 2015. 

Jake's first year was 2014.  He started in 22 games that year. Since then he started 30 (2015). 24, 31, 32, 32, 12 and 15...so what are these large chunks of time he's missed since 2015?  Maybe you fat fingered and meant 2020. 

With that said, I think it's legit to question whether Jake will be able to stay on the field going forward.

3 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Biggest star on the Yankees is almost always going to be a bigger star than anyone on the Mets. Just facts. Just like when Brett Favre went to play for the Jets, it's still the Jets. The Mets can add any old cy young pitchers they want and they are still the Mets as we have seen. It's where careers go to fizzle out and die

Got it, so you don't actually consider talent - the laundry they wear makes them better. It amazes me that there are Bills fans that have this attitude with other teams they root for. 

2 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Got it, so you don't actually consider talent - the laundry they wear makes them better. It amazes me that there are Bills fans that have this attitude with other teams they root for. 

Baseball is different, there's no salary cap and Yankees can afford anyone they want. Who chooses the Mets over the Yankees? Or Jets over Giants given the choice? You go to the Yankees and put on the pinstripes you are expected to win. If you aren't top of your game anymore or don't want the pressure then go to the Mets, sure. 

1 minute ago, KDIGGZ said:

Baseball is different, there's no salary cap and Yankees can afford anyone they want. Who chooses the Mets over the Yankees? Or Jets over Giants given the choice? You go to the Yankees and put on the pinstripes you are expected to win. If you aren't top of your game anymore or don't want the pressure then go to the Mets, sure. 

Are you seriously saying that the Yankees can afford whoever they want, but the Mets can't? Have you been paying attention to MLB lately?

But that's entirely beside your original point that I questioned - that the Yankee star is always bigger than the Mets star. I'll try to ask again: if the Yankees star is bigger than the Mets star does that mean he's better? Is Gerritt Cole better than Max Scherzer? Both of those stars chose to play for a NY team - which one is better? Which is a bigger star?

14 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Are you seriously saying that the Yankees can afford whoever they want, but the Mets can't? Have you been paying attention to MLB lately?

But that's entirely beside your original point that I questioned - that the Yankee star is always bigger than the Mets star. I'll try to ask again: if the Yankees star is bigger than the Mets star does that mean he's better? Is Gerritt Cole better than Max Scherzer? Both of those stars chose to play for a NY team - which one is better? Which is a bigger star?

The Yankees are a team with an unparalleled history in sports. They aren't like any other team. Choose 2 other teams in any other sport and you might be right. Everyone can name the best Yankees in history. You will be hard pressed to find someone who isn't a big fan that can recall the great Mets. If you want to be a star and have a legacy you play for the Yankees. If you just want to play baseball you play for any other team. Aaron Judge is a huge star who people all over the world know. I find it hard to believe he would be #10 on this list. I'm a baseball fan and I couldn't pick DeGrom out of a lineup and I would only know Scherzer because of his weird eyes. I'm interpreting this poll as who is the biggest star and it sounds like maybe you are interpreting it as who is the best player

Edited by KDIGGZ

6 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

The Yankees are a team with an unparalleled history in sports. They aren't like any other team. Choose 2 other teams in any other sport and you might be right. Everyone can name the best Yankees in history. You will be hard pressed to find someone who isn't a big fan that can recall the great Mets. If you want to be a star and have a legacy you play for the Yankees. If you just want to play baseball you play for any other team. Aaron Judge is a huge star who people all over the world know. I find it hard to believe he would be #10 on this list. I'm a baseball fan and I couldn't pick DeGrom out of a lineup and I would only know Scherzer because of his weird eyes. I'm interpreting this poll as who is the biggest star and it sounds like maybe you are interpreting it as who is the best player

Baseball is a regional sport in the 2022.

The NFL is king by an absolute wide margin.

I can almost guarantee you that people across this country know of the top NFL players a helluva lot more than any Yankees players.

23 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Allen should be number one by a country mile. Case closed.

I would say he's 1B only because it's so early in his career. If we get over the hump and go to the super bowl this year then he's the clear #1 for me

The Yankees are a team with an unparalleled history in sports. They aren't like any other team. Choose 2 other teams in any other sport and you might be right. Everyone can name the best Yankees in history. You will be hard pressed to find someone who isn't a big fan that can recall the great Mets. If you want to be a star and have a legacy you play for the Yankees. If you just want to play baseball you play for any other team. Aaron Judge is a huge star who people all over the world know. I find it hard to believe he would be #10 on this list. I'm a baseball fan and I could pick DeGrom out of a lineup and I would only know Scherzer because of his weird eyes

You still haven't answered any of my direct questions to the statement you made- which is weak. Yes, the Yankees franchise has an amazing legacy. That has 0 to do with the current top 10 athletes in NY sports topic - unless you are of the opinion that wearing the Yankee laundry automatically makes you a better player than one wearing the Mets laundry. Do you think that?

9 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

So no Jets or Giants? Are they considered NJ athletes or they just don't have anyone good enough to make the list?

Fan Duel CEO is a huge Bills fan. I wouldnt be surprised if this was partially to remind people that the Bills are the only NY team.

4 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

You still haven't answered any of my direct questions to the statement you made- which is weak. Yes, the Yankees franchise has an amazing legacy. That has 0 to do with the current top 10 athletes in NY sports topic - unless you are of the opinion that wearing the Yankee laundry automatically makes you a better player than one wearing the Mets laundry. Do you think that?

Sounds like you didn't read what I wrote. I said I'm interpreting this as biggest star, biggest name. Sounds like you are interpreting as best player. If you read my last post you would have seen that. Does that not answer your question? The biggest star on the Yankees is almost always bigger than the biggest star on any other team including the Mets. The Mets are the other NY team just like the Jets.

Sounds like you didn't read what I wrote. I said I'm interpreting this as biggest star, biggest name. Sounds like you are interpreting as best player. If you read my last post you would have seen that. Does that not answer your question? The biggest star on the Yankees is almost always bigger than the biggest star on any other team including the Mets. The Mets are the other NY team just like the Jets.

The topic is top pro athlete. You insinuated most popular (biggest star) into the conversation. 

And you still didn't bother to answer who is the bigger star and who is the better player between Cole and Scherzer?

Durant is an MVP caliber player and arguably the best player in the game, Josh fits that bill too. Given that KD has been at that level longer he gets the nod as a tie breaker. Still great to see two Buffalo Bills on such a list even if the NY football teams and Sabers are terrible. 

1 minute ago, billsfan89 said:

Durant is an MVP caliber player and arguably the best player in the game, Josh fits that bill too. Given that KD has been at that level longer he gets the nod as a tie breaker. Still great to see two Buffalo Bills on such a list even if the NY football teams and Sabers are terrible. 

I was disappointed Barzal didn't make the list. Probably fair - but not at the expense of Adam Fox.

1 minute ago, SinceThe70s said:

The topic is top pro athlete. You insinuated most popular (biggest star) into the conversation. 

And you still didn't bother to answer who is the bigger star and who is the better player between Cole and Scherzer?

It's funny to me that you insinuated best player from "top athlete." It's not very specific what they are taking into account. Best now, best career, most popular?

Cole is the best pitcher on the Yankees but not really a star. Judge is the star. My wife knows Judge but probably can't name 5 other players in the league. Scherzer is on his last leg and that's why he plays for the Mets. From a personality standpoint he's not Yankees material anyhow. He's a legit crazy person.

8 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

Yup both big cry babies who are vastly overrated and who can never lead a team because they are selfish and only care about themselves. They will never be on the level of the greats because the greats get everyone around them to play better. Making a comparison that resonates with the readers, not saying they are the same level of talent but similar in that they are frauds

What in the world is this? Durant has 2 rings and has led 3 separate teams at this point. I understand disliking him, but he's objectively a proven legend compared to Eichel. Very weird comparison.

It's funny to me that you insinuated best player from "top athlete." It's not very specific what they are taking into account. Best now, best career, most popular?

Cole is the best pitcher on the Yankees but not really a star. Judge is the star. My wife knows Judge but probably can't name 5 other players in the league. Scherzer is on his last leg and that's why he plays for the Mets. From a personality standpoint he's not Yankees material anyhow. He's a legit crazy person.

Hmm, I'll grant you that I interpreted "top athlete" as best player whereas you interpreted it as most popular. If I understood the topic as most popular I would never have responded - who gives a flying f##k which players are popular? 

1 minute ago, Nelius said:

What in the world is this? Durant has 2 rings and has led 3 separate teams at this point. I understand disliking him, but he's objectively a proven legend compared to Eichel. Very weird comparison.

In that they are both spoiled babies. Eichel is a name people on this board will know and relate to. Durant had to join a super team to win his rings and he wasn't the star on those teams. This is all in the subsequent posts, keep reading

3 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

In that they are both spoiled babies. Eichel is a name people on this board will know and relate to. Durant had to join a super team to win his rings and he wasn't the star on those teams. This is all in the subsequent posts, keep reading

Yeah you keep repeating ridiculous things, which I'm questioning. I can even sense the backpedaling. You don't like Durant, okay, but he has rings and hardware that you're now dismissing which is just silly. Call him a baby fine, but he's a decorated baby whereas Eichel has done nothing.

I mean it's not like I'm arguing Durant vs. Michael Jordan. You compared him to Jack Eichel! Lol just insane

Also wasn't the star on the those teams? The league collectively considers KD to be the best in the league. In what alternate universe did you ever see KD as a 2 or 3 on any team? This is poor trolling at best I think

Edited by Nelius

2 minutes ago, Nelius said:

Yeah you keep repeating ridiculous things, which I'm questioning. I can even sense the backpedaling. You don't like Durant, okay, but he has rings and hardware that you're now dismissing which is just silly. Call him a baby fine, but he's a decorated baby whereas Eichel has done nothing.

I mean it's not like I'm arguing Durant vs. Michael Jordan. You compared him to Jack Eichel! Lol just insane

Also wasn't the star on the those teams? The league collectively considers KD to be the best in the league. In what alternate universe did you ever see KD as a 2 or 3 on any team? This is poor trolling at best I think

Yea sorry you aren't getting that I'm just comparing them as big cry babies who can't lead a team. Never said Eichel was even half the player. KD will never win again unless he joins another super team. He's not "the man" like that. Very good player though

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.