New York Giants - Buffalo Bills Connection EDIT: Buffalo Bond?

JGMcD2

Since we’ve discussed the Carolina Connection here to exhaustion… figured I’d point out the very apparent pipeline that has started to form in the Meadowlands. 

5 years later, Joe Schoen and Brian Daboll are following a familiar blue print with the Giants in year 1. Clean up the salary cap and bring in familiar fringe players who they’ve spent time with in their previous stop. 

Buffalo —> New York (2022)

G Jon Feliciano

QB Tyrod Taylor 

P Jamie Gillian 

WR Robert Foster

QB Davis Webb

WR David Sills

RB Antonio Williams 

WR Austin Proehl

G Jamil Douglas 

RB Matt Breida 

Carolina -> Buffalo (2017)

FB Mike Tolbert
DE Ryan Davis
WR Philly Brown
CB Leonard Johnson
WR Kaelin Clay
QB/ST Joe Webb
WR Kelvin Benjamin
S L.J. McCray
S Dean Marlowe

I am curious to see how they draft this year, being gifted a pair of Top 10 picks. With no QB worth taking, I wonder if they trade back to acquire ammo for 2023?

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

23 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Since we’ve discussed the Carolina Connection here to exhaustion… figured I’d point out the very apparent pipeline that has started to form in the Meadowlands. 

5 years later, Joe Schoen and Brian Daboll are following a familiar blue print with the Giants in year 1. Clean up the salary cap and bring in familiar fringe players who they’ve spent time with in their previous stop. 

Buffalo —> New York (2022)

G Jon Feliciano

QB Tyrod Taylor 

P Jamie Gillian 

WR Robert Foster

QB Davis Webb

WR David Sills

RB Antonio Williams 

WR Austin Proehl

G Jamil Douglas 

Carolina -> Buffalo (2017)

FB Mike Tolbert
DE Ryan Davis
WR Philly Brown
CB Leonard Johnson
WR Kaelin Clay
QB/ST Joe Webb
WR Kelvin Benjamin
S L.J. McCray
S Dean Marlowe

I am curious to see how they draft this year, being gifted a pair of Top 10 picks. With no QB worth taking, I wonder if they trade back to acquire ammo for 2023?

Tyrod was gone as soon as Daboll was Bills OC

Sills never played a game for the Bills. He’s been in the Giants organization since 2019.

Proehl also was waived without playing a game. Was PS. 

Edited by Mr. WEO

18 minutes ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Watch Antonio Williams be fantastic if/when he gets a chance.

He's solid but he will never be more than a rotation guy 

He might not even make the roster 

He's a great camp guy who has some game.. when all is said and done he'll probably push for the #3 job in camp

Edited by Buffalo716

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Tyrod was gone as soon as Daboll was Bills OC

Sills never played a game for the Bills. He’s been in the Giants organization since 2019.

Proehl also was waived without playing a game. Was PS. 

Ok? Tyrod was in Buffalo with Schoen.

Sills was signed by Schoen as a UDFA. He did the leg work. It’s on one of the Embedded episodes. Schoen and Daboll also made the decision to re-sign him on March 11th of this year. 

LJ McCray was waived without ever playing a game for Carolina. Clay was traded to Buffalo without ever playing in a game for Carolina.

I never said the players were impact guys with their former team, or supposed to make a difference with their new team. I was pointing out a pattern. What’s your point? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Like (+1) 2

• JGMcD2 changed the title to New York Giants - Buffalo Bills Connection EDIT: Buffalo Bond?
1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea Sills has been at the Giants long before Schoen and Daboll. Don't think he really counts. 

But otherwise there is a definite pattern if bringint in guys they have familiarity with. Let's see how many of them make the team. Lot of PS fodder there I feel. 

Schoen and Daboll made a conscious decision to re-sign Sills on March 11th. 

13 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Schoen and Daboll made a conscious decision to re-sign Sills on March 11th. 

Yea but re-signing exclusive rights free agent practice squad players is pretty much a gimme. Don't think their prior experience with him will have had had any impact on that decision 

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea but re-signing exclusive rights free agent practice squad players is pretty much a gimme. Don't think their prior experience with him will have had had any impact on that decision 

The Giants had 5 EFRA and tendered contracts to 2. 

It’s different when you have a new regime. 

7 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

Ok? Tyrod was in Buffalo with Schoen.

Sills was signed by Schoen as a UDFA. He did the leg work. It’s on one of the Embedded episodes. Schoen and Daboll also made the decision to re-sign him on March 11th of this year. 

LJ McCray was waived without ever playing a game for Carolina. Clay was traded to Buffalo without ever playing in a game for Carolina.

I never said the players were impact guys with their former team, or supposed to make a difference with their new team. I was pointing out a pattern. What’s your point? 🤷🏻‍♂️

My point was Taylor was cut by Daboll and Beane within 2 months of Daboll's hiring.  Tyrod was already on the team when the Bills hired Schoen. So at most they were in the same organization for a season. 

Sills had a cup of coffee in Buffalo 3 years ago.  They day after he was cut by Bill she went to the Giants and has been there ever since.  You can't make your point that Schoen is "brining in" guys like Sills when he's been there 3 years longer than Schoen (it goes without saying that re-signing isn't "bringing in"--whether the decision is "conscious" or unconscious).

37 minutes ago, Greg S said:

He is a good player. One of the few they have so I doubt they release/trade him

They're in cap hell...

He may not want to be part of a rebuild...

Would he take the SB chance discount?  

We have his former DC/GM responsible for drafting him.

INNNNteresting but highly unlikely we could contort the cap to get it done.

He has been one of the lone bright spots on the Giants last few years.

23 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

My point was Taylor was cut by Daboll and Beane within 2 months of Daboll's hiring.  Tyrod was already on the team when the Bills hired Schoen. So at most they were in the same organization for a season. 

Sills had a cup of coffee in Buffalo 3 years ago.  They day after he was cut by Bill she went to the Giants and has been there ever since.  You can't make your point that Schoen is "brining in" guys like Sills when he's been there 3 years longer than Schoen (it goes without saying that re-signing isn't "bringing in"--whether the decision is "conscious" or unconscious).

Fair enough. Remove David Sills… the point still remains. They’re bringing in players they have familiarity with. 

I wish McBeane were defended this much with former Carolina players… hell the DaQuan Jones thread had “Former Panther” in it for a solid 4-5 days despite spending the majority of his career in Tennessee and never crossing paths with McDermott or Beane in Carolina. 

3 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Fair enough. Remove David Sills… the point still remains. They’re bringing in players they have familiarity with. 

I wish McBeane were defended this much with former Carolina players… hell the DaQuan Jones thread had “Former Panther” in it for a solid 4-5 days despite spending the majority of his career in Tennessee and never crossing paths with McDermott or Beane in Carolina. 

The "another panther" thing in the Jones title was always meant tongue in cheek, I'm pretty sure. 

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

I think you are right.  I think they will trade back and continue to acquire assets.  I think Barkley will be traded at some point too.

8 hours ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Watch Antonio Williams be fantastic if/when he gets a chance.

I hope so.  He has skills and with an opportunity he MAY be able to take advantage of it.

1 hour ago, Ray Stonada said:

One guy I would love to see get more chances is Antonio Williams. Tough runner, good attitude. Wouldn't be surprised if he gets 500 yards and 5 TDs this season.

Never understood that one or the drafting of Moss & why Williams never got a chance to see the field especially after what he did in the Miami game one would think he would at the very least get another game was a active player i think he would have been a good compliment to motor & the bigger back they needed .

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Tyrod was traded for the first pick in the 3rd round.  Schoen was familiar with Tyrod?  No?

The OP's point is solid, the New York Football Giants are following the same blue print Beane, Schoen and McD used.  Tear it down, fix the cap, bring in fringe players they are familiar with to help build a culture while they build their team while the acquire assets.

In 5 years will any of these fringe players be on the team, probably not.  Maybe Antonio Williams IF he played a different position than RB (with the positions short life span in the NFL).  Marlowe hung around with us for a while and exceeded expectations.  I was a fan of his and what he brought as the 3rd safety.  

I will be following the Giants closer now.  I am excited to see what they continue to do.  I think Schoen will succeed.  I do not think Daboll will.  He may, but, I guess 3 and out.  I will give Daboll credit that he learned and continued to improve each off season and grow with the Bills.  If he can continue to do that he will succeed.  I think as a HC nobody will be there to check his ego and he ultimately will not move the needle.

In 3 years, they let Daboll go and the New York Football Giants will be an extremely desirable HC position with a team built for the long term.  Missing a couple key positions.

36 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Fair enough.

Most of those guys won't make the roster.  In Taylor, they needed a backup QB and he was available and likely the best value if they aren't sure about their starter. Doubt hi  being in Buffalo had anything to do with it--Daboll never coached him. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Manther said:

Tyrod was traded for the first pick in the 3rd round.  Schoen was familiar with Tyrod?  No?

The OP's point is solid, the New York Football Giants are following the same blue print Beane, Schoen and McD used.  Tear it down, fix the cap, bring in fringe players they are familiar with to help build a culture while they build their team while the acquire assets.

In 5 years will any of these fringe players be on the team, probably not.  Maybe Antonio Williams IF he played a different position than RB (with the positions short life span in the NFL).  Marlowe hung around with us for a while and exceeded expectations.  I was a fan of his and what he brought as the 3rd safety.  

I will be following the Giants closer now.  I am excited to see what they continue to do.  I think Schoen will succeed.  I do not think Daboll will.  He may, but, I guess 3 and out.  I will give Daboll credit that he learned and continued to improve each off season and grow with the Bills.  If he can continue to do that he will succeed.  I think as a HC nobody will be there to check his ego and he ultimately will not move the needle.

In 3 years, they let Daboll go and the New York Football Giants will be an extremely desirable HC position with a team built for the long term.  Missing a couple key positions.

Unless they really suck Daboll is getting at least 4 seasons. The Giants ownership realises it has been doing too much wheel spinning. The Schoen - Daboll project is going to get patience. They have finally committed to what they should have committed to post-Coughlin - a proper re-set. I think they'd rather go a year too long than a year too short on this regime. 

• Like (+1) 1

Another point about the Carolina -> Bills and now Bills -> Giants connection... recall that McD and other new members of the front office had some insight into the Panthers' draft board back in 2017. The Panthers were reportedly in on both Zay Jones and D. Dawkins, whom the Bills moved up ahead of them to acquire (both in the 2nd round).  Wonder if Schoen and the Giants do something similar to the Bills in the draft.

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Unless they really suck Daboll is getting at least 4 seasons. The Giants ownership realises it has been doing too much wheel spinning. The Schoen - Daboll project is going to get patience. They have finally committed to what they should have committed to post-Coughlin - a proper re-set. I think they'd rather go a year too long than a year too short on this regime. 

Makes sense, I don't disagree.  That would be ideal for them to bring stability.

24 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They aren’t signing them to hefty contracts though… Beane gave out some serious cash to former Panthers who were all mostly mediocre to bad in their time in Buffalo. (Addison was solid last season after a middling first year here) 

Not that first season that I compared them to. Re-read my post and what I wrote. 

They were all fringe roster type guys (outside of Kelvin Benjamin) that signed for close to league minimum/were traded for guys on the fringe. 

Tolbert - 1 year at $980K

Davis - 2 years at $1.1M/year 
Brown - 1 year at $680K 

Johnson - 1 year at $855K 

Clay - Traded for Kevon Seymour 

Webb - 1 year at $900K 

Marlowe - Practice Squad Signing 

McCray - Practice Squad Signing 

3 minutes ago, 2003Contenders said:

Another point about the Carolina -> Bills and now Bills -> Giants connection... recall that McD and other new members of the front office had some insight into the Panthers' draft board back in 2017. The Panthers were reportedly in on both Zay Jones and D. Dawkins, whom the Bills moved up ahead of them to acquire (both in the 2nd round).  Wonder if Schoen and the Giants do something similar to the Bills in the draft.

Beane was asked about that at the combine and accepted that Schoen knew their "January board". While on offense it is certainly possible that the two teams are looking for similar things the fact they hired Wink Martindale as DC means they will be looking for very different things on the defensive side. 

Edited by GunnerBill

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Beane was asked about that at the combine and accepted that Schoen knew their "January board". While on offense it is certainly possible that the two teams are looking for similar things the fact they hired Wink Martindale as DC means they will be looking for very different things on the defensive side. 

I suppose this would come into play with New York trading back up into the 1st round and possibly the 2nd round. After that, things get dicey IMO. 

Although, they’re in a position where they need to use all of their picks IMO.

If they do trade back into RD1… I could possibly see it being with us. Then again, Beane has mentioned how much he values that 5th year option. 

With Beane, McDermott, Schoen, Daboll get ready for the annual Giants - Bills preseason games every year. I wouldn't be surprised if they scrimmaged against one another during the week leading up to the game. One year in Orchard Park the next East Rutherford. Maybe they skip once every 4 years when they actually play each other in the regular season.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.