Ryan "Rick" Bates Watch Thread

YoloinOhio

6 hours ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

I don’t think he is not coming back he lost his starting spot to Saffold and Cody Ford will now be the starting Right Guard. Β Last year the bills had two starting guards weighing no more then 308 pounds now both weigh 325 plus.

Β 

I agree that Ford will be given one more chance to prove he's not a bust. The Bills don't easily give up on their high picks.

Β 

However Saffold is very athletic whereas Ford has not proven to be.

Β 

Also Saffold's size is somewhat misleading to what he brings to the table. From reading what the O-line experts here are saying about Kromer and his methods, it's Saffold's mobility which fits the scheme so well.

Β 

I would be a bit concerned if the Bills didn't bring in a legitimate challenger to Cody Ford.Β 

6 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Β 

I agree that Ford will be given one more chance to prove he's not a bust. The Bills don't easily give up on their high picks.

Β 

However Saffold is very athletic whereas Ford has not proven to be.

Β 

Also Saffold's size is somewhat misleading to what he brings to the table. From reading what the O-line experts here are saying about Kromer and his methods, it's Saffold's mobility which fits the scheme so well.

Β 

I would be a bit concerned if the Bills didn't bring in a legitimate challenger to Cody Ford.Β 

I don’t think they have cap space Beane has been restructuring contracts like a wizard and squeezing the cap like a sponge I don’t know if there is anyone besides Josh he can restructure without some players getting really mad about it.

1 minute ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

I don’t think they have cap space Beane has been restructuring contracts like a wizard and squeezing the cap like a sponge I don’t know if there is anyone besides Josh he can restructure without some players getting really mad about it.

Β 

I wasn't referring exclusively to free agency.Β 

7 hours ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

I don’t think he is not coming back he lost his starting spot to Saffold and Cody Ford will now be the starting Right Guard. Β Last year the bills had two starting guards weighing no more then 308 pounds now both weigh 325 plus.

Β 

Dude.Β  He had that job last season, and lost it.

He might be on the roster into training camp as a backup.

Β 

41 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Is Ike Boettger still on the team?

Β 

No.Β  Rehabbing torn Achilles as UFA.

https://www.twincities.com/2022/03/18/bills-restricted-free-agent-ryan-bates-to-visit-patriots-bears-after-vikings-stop/

Says Bates visit to Vikes went well and they could end up extending an offer sheet.Β  They're looking for a RG, however.

Β 

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/bears/ct-chicago-bears-ryan-bates-buffalo-bills-20220319-p3ru2ot55zcllb4ktb6en5f47i-story.html

Bears and Patriots still to come.Β  Bears also looking for a RG.

Β 

Beane did not sound perturbed about these visits.Β  πŸ€”

Β 

If Rick signs with the Patriots, he's Dead to me.

• Haha (+1) 1

Where is all this Bates is leaving coming from? Β He visited Minnesota? Β No offer no nothing. Β What are we worrying about? Β Bates is replacement level but I believe he will be back to compete at Rg.Β 

4 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Where is all this Bates is leaving coming from? Β He visited Minnesota? Β No offer no nothing. Β What are we worrying about? Β Bates is replacement level but I believe he will be back to compete at Rg.Β 

Β 

Peoples all freaked that we didn't offer the man a $3.9M 2nd round tender instead of a "first refusal" $2.4M

Β 

Me, I think it's very possible Bates will get an offer sheet, but I also think Beane is a Man with a Plan.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Β 

I wasn't referring exclusively to free agency.Β 

I have my eye on Carolina. All accounts seem that they are changing over to a more power oriented run attack. They added Bradley Bozeman, a very unathletic road grader. Rumors say they are in on Duane Brown to play LT. The also signed Austin Corbett, who is big but athletic. They also have Deonte Brown, Michael Jordan, and Pat Elflein. Their third round pick last year Brady Christensen got jerked around quite a bit last year and seems like he may not have a spot. I wonder if they would do something like Cody Ford and a pick for Christensen? He’s older, already 25, BYU guy. I would prefer to keep Bates, but Christensen scored a high RAS last year, is cheap, and might fit nicely at RG if we miss out on Bates.Β 

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

Is Ike Boettger still on the team?

Β 

Not that this is the best scenario, but if Bates does go to another team, bringing back Boettger or even Daryl Williams at that same 2.5M price to compete with a drafted rookie for the RG position could be a possibility.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Β 

Dude.Β  He had that job last season, and lost it.

He might be on the roster into training camp as a backup.

Β 

Β 

No.Β  Rehabbing torn Achilles as UFA.

I've been wondering what Ike's future is, also. Even without the injury, I don't know that there was enough film on him to get a significant offer from another team. But, they've invested a lot of time in his development (I believe also occasionally using him as a C in practice?). He looked pretty good up until that non-contact injury-- seemed to improve each game. Do the Bills keep him? And does anyone know the timeline for his possible return?

Β 

Β 

Edited by Rocky Landing

3 hours ago, Mat68 said:

People worry because he was starting the last quarter of the season when we seemed to turn the running game around. I get it but he is replaceable.

31 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Im not going to talk crap about Bates just because he is going through the process

Β 

He is good......he should have been starting much sooner.....and I hope he comes back

Fair point. I believe most agree. And I feel Beane will do what’s best for the Buffalo 🦬 Bills.