Ryan "Rick" Bates Watch Thread

YoloinOhio

6 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

If we lose bates I think he is def in play

I think Kromer would love him Kromer seems to like those athletic move guys and thats Bates

If that was the case, I’m shocked that he was given the tender he was given.  Makes no sense.  

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

If that was the case, I’m shocked that he was given the tender he was given.  Makes no sense.  

I may be off on this but I always felt we "hid" Bates a bit in the time he has been here while they coached him up......then he came in and gave less then a year's starting OL play this past year so once again hoping to "hide" him so they can sign him cheap

So does anyone thing Bates will get a contract from another team for more than 5 million per year ? If so he’s probably the number 1 Guard still on the market. And if that is true surprising the Giants didn’t go after him. In Beane I Trust 👏👏👏👏👏👏

Edited by Paul Costa

10 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I may be off on this but I always felt we "hid" Bates a bit in the time he has been here while they coached him up......then he came in and gave less then a year's starting OL play this past year so once again hoping to "hide" him so they can sign him cheap

Idk….if they really like him and Kromer really wants him, the tender doesn’t make sense. Paying him a little over million more isn’t that big of a deal and would’ve basically ensured that we kept him.  Big risk in hoping that all of the other teams in the league failed to notice his play. 

19 minutes ago, Paul Costa said:

So does anyone thing Bates will get a contract from another team for more than 5 million per year ? If so he’s probably the number 1 Guard still on the market. And if that is true surprising the Giants didn’t go after him. In Beane I Trust 👏👏👏👏👏👏

I think he is the best guard left for sure. I am not sure if he gets 5 million. I was thinking in the 4s. And my guess is that he isn’t a Giant because he isn’t a Bobby Johnson guy as evidence that he rode the pine so long, and clearly is better than the guys he was sitting behind.  

4 minutes ago, Paul Costa said:

So does anyone thing Bates will get a contract from another team for more than 5 million per year ?

Would be a no for me.   At $5mm per year Gates would be in top 50% of league by position.  Can't see someone giving him this on 5 games worth of film. 

Bills could have assured a 2nd rd pick by offering him $4mm and chose not to.  Have to believe that OBD feels confident they can keep him at a cost acceptable to them.  

1 minute ago, Putin said:

If that’s the case what’s / who is the plan B ? 

Has to be drafting a guy, because the guard market is pretty much dried up.

I could see teams that signed guys maybe willing to trade their holdovers, say like the Panthers who signed Bozeman and Corbett. Perhaps they are willing to move 2021 draft pick Brady Christensen, high RAS guy who we could stick in at RG. Perhaps Christensen for AJ Epenesa, who would fit in well as a 5 tech in their 3-4.

The Bills have met with a lot of IOL so far this year. So the answer likely comes in the draft. 

5 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

!!

The legend grows! Bates is approaching Duke Williams level myth-making!

U can’t compare the 2 . Duke never did anything and I for one never mentioned Duke on this board or anywhere else for that matter. Bates is a great asset for nearly any team whenever he was playing he held his own and then some he played 4 positions on the line. Bates definitely worth the 2nd rd tender and some team is going to pay him nearly 6mil yr . But we rather pay our bkup QB 7mil per or bkup safety 3.5 or even a 4th DT a bunch of money. 

I don't know much, but I do really think, resolutely, that Cody Ford is not an answer.  And that Cody Ford cannot be coached up, nor salvaged by anyone at this point.  I don't like to be negative but that one just did not work out. 

16 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Has to be drafting a guy, because the guard market is pretty much dried up.

I could see teams that signed guys maybe willing to trade their holdovers, say like the Panthers who signed Bozeman and Corbett. Perhaps they are willing to move 2021 draft pick Brady Christensen, high RAS guy who we could stick in at RG. Perhaps Christensen for AJ Epenesa, who would fit in well as a 5 tech in their 3-4.

The Bills have met with a lot of IOL so far this year. So the answer likely comes in the draft. 

Who have they met with IOL wise? I know Zion for sure. 

1 minute ago, Motor26 said:

Who have they met with IOL wise? I know Zion for sure. 

Cam Jurgens - C/G Nebraska
Logan Bruss - C/G Wisconsin
Zion Johnson - C/G Boston College
Lecitus Smith - G Virginia Tech
Dohnovan West - C/G Arizona State
Kenyon Green - C/G Texas A&M

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, MrEpsYtown said:

Cam Jurgens - C/G Nebraska
Logan Bruss - C/G Wisconsin
Zion Johnson - C/G Boston College
Lecitus Smith - G Virginia Tech
Dohnovan West - C/G Arizona State
Kenyon Green - C/G Texas A&M

Thanks. I like Jurgens a lot. Obviously Green and Zion would be the only guys in play in the 1st round, but seems like the Bills are gonna have to go corner in the 1st unless they sign someone CAPA ale of starting. I’m sure Beane has something up his sleeve.

3 minutes ago, Motor26 said:

Thanks. I like Jurgens a lot. Obviously Green and Zion would be the only guys in play in the 1st round, but seems like the Bills are gonna have to go corner in the 1st unless they sign someone CAPA ale of starting. I’m sure Beane has something up his sleeve.

Jurgens had some really good testing numbers, so he fits the high RAS conversation. Johnson does as well. 

Cole Strange is an interesting guy, as a small school guy, he shined at the Senior Bowl tested really well RAS wise. I like him a lot and I hope they met with him. 

10 minutes ago, Motor26 said:

Is this capa ale hoppy? lol sorry jk 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo619 said:

Bills won’t match. Bates choosing money over opportunity. Not a great career decision. 

I’m going out on a limb here and surmising you are not an employee of the Bills, don’t know anybody who is and probably never attended a game. Even if any of these things are incorrect, your post is still utter trash.

3 hours ago, Doc said:

He's not gone yet.  I believe the Bills have a week to match any offer he gets, and so far I haven't heard that he's even gotten an offer.

Thank you.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I’m going out on a limb here and surmising you are not an employee of the Bills, don’t know anybody who is and probably never attended a game. Even if any of these things are incorrect, your post is still utter trash.

Thank you.

With how rare RFAs are signed a big name will be all over it if it happens.  Rap or Shafter will drop it.  Bates is unique.  Idk if he survived or thrived last year.     I thought Bates said he feels like LG is his natural position.   Saffold is the LG.  Bates will have to compete for the RG spot.  A few rookies another vet and him I imagine.  I feel like Bates at guard is the equivalent to Wallace at Cb.  He can do his job but you are looking to replace him.  

• Like (+1) 2