Ryan "Rick" Bates Watch Thread

YoloinOhio

15 minutes ago, uninja said:

I just can't believe there's an 11 page watch thread about a backup guard possibly getting poached off of the team that just signed Roger Saffold, OJ Howard and Von Miller.

Bills fans are the best 😂

Well, Star is gone so we gotta do something I guess..

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Manther said:

Bates is one of our top 6 Olinemen and can play all positions on the line.  And was starting in the playoffs.  He is more than a back up.  The signings you mention are exciting, but, signing those players AND keeping Bates would be better.  We may still keep Bates.

Beane has a plan.  $1.5 million more and we would get a 2nd round pick if we lost him.  Maybe Beane has a long term contract ready to offer?  Maybe Kromer doesn't love Bates.  Who knows.  I personally would prefer Bates on the team, but, trust the process.  The tender Beane placed on Bates may have been a gamble Beane didn't need to take and maybe got too cute.  We will see.

I hope Bates is back.

For sure, the line was absolutely better when he was in it. I hope he stays as well.

Still though, 12 pages?! 

5 hours ago, GreggTX said:

Why do we need a thread for a backup caliber IOL? It's not like he can't be easily replaced on day 3 of the draft.

Sure he can be easily replaced on day 3.….and there’s also a chance that the guy we replace him with sucks…..like day TWO pick Cody Ford.  You’re rolling the dice, while we already know what we’re getting with Bates.  I feel the plan was to retain Bates and draft next years a replacement  for either he or Saffold.  Maybe draft 2 to replace both. 

Knowing what you get vs the fear of the unknown.  Mid rd OL starting their rookie year can be sketch 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, uninja said:

I just can't believe there's an 11 page watch thread about a backup guard possibly getting poached off of the team that just signed Roger Saffold, OJ Howard and Von Miller.

BILLieve

Bates went into the season as a backup, and finished the season ahead of the starter, who stayed benched and just got cut.

We have very little cap space, and most people here don't want to see Josh Allen behind a line consisting of Dawkins-Saffold-Morse-Ford-Brown, or have the only alternative be a rookie thrown into the lineup "ready or not".

• Agree 1

I’m hopeful we can keep Bates.  He was developed here, and I believe if the Vikings or another team beats our original offer, we can hopefully have a little wiggle room to go upward within reason.  

if not, we still have the draft.  There is no way that abomination, Ford should make the team.

3 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

if not, we still have the draft.  There is no way that abomination, Ford should make the team.

Why are people still worried about whether or not Ford is on the roster?  They’re not going to cut him before camp.  He’s got about a 5% chance to make the team.

I’m curious to see what sort of offer sheet Bates is signed to.

28 minutes ago, eball said:

Why are people still worried about whether or not Ford is on the roster?  They’re not going to cut him before camp.  He’s got about a 5% chance to make the team.

I’m curious to see what sort of offer sheet Bates is signed to.

He has way higher than 5%. It won't be easy to have 4 guards better than him on the roster. Right now we have 2 if you count Bates. Hopefully 3rd comes from the draft. You need at least one more to cut Ford. Won't be easy.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Here's my prediction for the bills draft this year-

Corner back

Wide receiver 

O-line

O-line

O-line

O-line

Running back 

Quarter back

Agree with first 3!  Will be shocked if not a punter in there around 5 or 6.  Regardless of the outcome of Bates, doubt we see 4 O lineman drafted, 2 maybe 3.  Likely also a 2nd CB/S, maybe LB?

So what exactly are the rules? Can the Bills call up Bates today and offer him a long term deal or once they place the tender are they locked in and can't offer him anything else until the tender period ends which is sometime late April?  I know they can match any offers he might get, but wasn't sure what else they can or can't do.

1 hour ago, No_Matter_What said:

He has way higher than 5%. It won't be easy to have 4 guards better than him on the roster. Right now we have 2 if you count Bates. Hopefully 3rd comes from the draft. You need at least one more to cut Ford. Won't be easy.

He's also a pretty cheap contract, $2.5 mil so again reduces chances they let him go.  He also in a pinch could play tackle if needed, not very good, but could get through a game if they had to.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

Would like them to select Zion Johnson if he’s there. Has played both guard spots and left tackle in college and supposedly looked good playing center as well at the senior bowl. Beane said they need to protect Josh and they love guys with positional flexibility.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, uninja said:

He is not a backup, he is our starter. If he leaves that is one more hole we need to fill.

When he stepped into the lineup it is the best our oline has looked in years.

People can be excited about the team and the new players and still be concerned that we are potentially losing a quality offensive lineman.

I've been pounding the table for Bates to have more playing time for a couple of years now. He is a good player. If he leaves, he'll be a starter in this league for a long time.

If you don't believe that, fine, but the fact that multiple teams are interested in him shows that he isn't just some backup caliber JAG.

• Like (+1) 7

49 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Can’t imagine Ford is on the team next season… it would raise some red flags if he was…. 

It would raise red flags?  To whom?  The rams?  I would hope that pretend red flags don’t exist in Beanes world. They’ll bring him and and let him try and earn a spot with hopes that he fits in better with Kroger’s new scheme. We don’t know how bad (or good) Ford will be playing in it. Maybe Kromer can make help. No reason to cut him before camp imo….especially considering our current OGs we have 

12 hours ago, uninja said:

For sure, the line was absolutely better when he was in it. I hope he stays as well.

Still though, 12 pages?! 

What’s worse….

a 12 page thread about possibly losing one of our starting guards that was a RFA and could have been tendered differently (that’s actual discussion)……

or

Crying about the thread being too long. 

Mmhmm

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Steptide said:

Here's my prediction for the bills draft this year-

Corner back

Wide receiver 

O-line

O-line

O-line

O-line

Running back 

Quarter back

I know you are kidding to some degree, but think we see them double up on IOL and WR in the draft. I agree CB and WR will be the first two picks most likely.

3 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I just can’t believe a 4th string DT or a bk up Safety like Neal is more important to our front office then a starting guard like Bates, especially since Bates played like a man possessed towards the end of the season. I just don’t get it.

I doubt they came to the decision lightly.  It was only about $1.5M more to give him a 2nd round tender.