Ryan "Rick" Bates Watch Thread

YoloinOhio

9 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I just can’t believe a 4th string DT or a bk up Safety like Neal is more important to our front office then a starting guard like Bates, especially since Bates played like a man possessed towards the end of the season. I just don’t get it.

!!

The legend grows! Bates is approaching Duke Williams level myth-making!

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, MJS said:

He is not a backup, he is our starter. If he leaves that is one more hole we need to fill.

When he stepped into the lineup it is the best our oline has looked in years.

People can be excited about the team and the new players and still be concerned that we are potentially losing a quality offensive lineman.

I've been pounding the table for Bates to have more playing time for a couple of years now. He is a good player. If he leaves, he'll be a starter in this league for a long time.

If you don't believe that, fine, but the fact that multiple teams are interested in him shows that he isn't just some backup caliber JAG.

He’s not considered a starter by the team or valued as such. Bobby Johnson is gone. Kromer will decide who he wants. This shows they like him enough to bring him back to compete for a spot but not enough to render him difficult to replace. 

• Like (+1) 5

So it’s safe to say anything below 4 million is a moot point. So the real question is how much more will a team be willing to pay above 4 for Ryan Bates knowing the Bills can simply match. Is Ryan Bates a 6 million dollar a year player? Beane obviously doesn’t think so. 

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He’s not considered a starter by the team or valued as such. Bobby Johnson is gone. Kromer will decide who he wants. This shows they like him enough to bring him back to compete for a spot but not enough to render him difficult to replace. 

You don't know that. All we know is that they gave him the lower tender. That could be for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is a gamble that other teams wouldn't be interested and they could save a bit against the cap.

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

You don't know that. All we know is that they gave him the lower tender. That could be for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is a gamble that other teams wouldn't be interested and they could save a bit against the cap.

The money and tender shows the value they place on the player 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

21 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

As long as it’s not Cody Ford…

Never know maybe Kromer coaches Cody up into a decent guard for the Bills.  Sometimes the scheme/coaching isn't a good match but with a different one he may find his game at the nfl level.  If not they can release him after preseason no harm in giving him a opportunity to salvage a spot.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I know you are kidding to some degree, but think we see them double up on IOL and WR in the draft. I agree CB and WR will be the first two picks most likely.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if they take 3 o linemen. Beane mentioned something about his top priority being protecting Allen. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

Bills won’t match. Bates choosing money over opportunity. Not a great career decision. 

He's not gone yet.  I believe the Bills have a week to match any offer he gets, and so far I haven't heard that he's even gotten an offer.

Edited by Doc

26 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

Bills won’t match. Bates choosing money over opportunity. Not a great career decision. 

So a team is going to pay him and not give him an opportunity?  Interesting take.  I’d bet that whoever signs him, will start him.  Meanwhile….he might not even be good enough to be our starter this year….never know how Kromer feels about him in his system 

27 minutes ago, NewEra said:

So a team is going to pay him and not give him an opportunity?  Interesting take.  I’d bet that whoever signs him, will start him.  Meanwhile….he might not even be good enough to be our starter this year….never know how Kromer feels about him in his system 

Opportunity to win the Superbowl, i believe.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Motor26 said:

Would like them to select Zion Johnson if he’s there. Has played both guard spots and left tackle in college and supposedly looked good playing center as well at the senior bowl. Beane said they need to protect Josh and they love guys with positional flexibility.

If we lose bates I think he is def in play

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

I think Kromer would love him Kromer seems to like those athletic move guys and thats Bates

• Like (+1) 1