What to do at CB?

GreggTX

I don’t think is fair to compare Keuchley to Edmunds.  Also McD had had a top 3 CB at the time on his roster who got paid by Washington and stopped trying.  I’m picking up what your putting down on the importance of continuity of captaincy but let’s be honest Von can fill that role.  

21 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

I don’t think is fair to compare Keuchley to Edmunds.  Also McD had had a top 3 CB at the time on his roster who got paid by Washington and stopped trying.  I’m picking up what your putting down on the importance of continuity of captaincy but let’s be honest Von can fill that role.  

Keuchley is a near Hall of Famer so a comparison is unfair to most LBs, the point is that they both had/have a very crucial role in McD's defense. At one time, McD had two starting rookies CBs and has always had one who was pretty average. Not so at the MLB. As for captaincy, many players could be a captain but there was a reason Edmunds was picked at such a young age. That trait is not easily replaced. 

17 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

Keuchley is a near Hall of Famer so a comparison is unfair to most LBs, the point is that they both had/have a very crucial role in McD's defense. At one time, McD had two starting rookies CBs and has always had one who was pretty average. Not so at the MLB. As for captaincy, many players could be a captain but there was a reason Edmunds was picked at such a young age. That trait is not easily replaced. 

Sometimes you just gotta cut bait.  I hope I’m wrong!! 

2 hours ago, TheWeatherMan said:

You mean like the one Edmunds continually misses 😂.  In all seriousness, he’s still extremely you and has tons of untapped potential but his salary does not match his play IMHO.  An upgrade at CB (especially if Tre misses time) could arguable be more pivotal to the Def than a MLB.  I’m not sold on a rookie DB improving our SB odds next year. In the future, yes, just not this year.  

I want to see what Edmunds looks like with improved DT play.......D. Jones is a true 2 gapper.....lets see

A) the Bills board might not be the same as “analysts”.  Their top 3 could include someone who is 5th or 6th in current mocks.

B) if they reach tier 2 of CBS and a tier 1 WR is there, I think they go WR and trade up to get a Tier 2 CB earlier in round 2.  

C) they’ve show they’re willing to trade up to get “their guy”.  It worked for Allen, failed for Ford and is TBD on Edmunds. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DasNootz said:

A) the Bills board might not be the same as “analysts”.  Their top 3 could include someone who is 5th or 6th in current mocks.

B) if they reach tier 2 of CBS and a tier 1 WR is there, I think they go WR and trade up to get a Tier 2 CB earlier in round 2.  

C) they’ve show they’re willing to trade up to get “their guy”.  It worked for Allen, failed for Ford and is TBD on Edmunds. 

They also have 8 picks and a deep roster, I’d be surprised if more than 6 stuck with the team. Last year 2 players drafted got poached off the practice squad, don’t think Beane wants to waste assets like that again.

17 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

The TOP 3 prospects at the position are projected to go before 25.😓

Do you trade up? Take one of the lower ranked CB's hoping for a diamond in the rough?

Adoree' Jackson and Gareon Conley both were drafted before Tre White.

Bills seem to have a nose for CB talent.  I'm hoping it continues.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

I think most fans want a vet CB plus a pick in the first two rounds. I think a high pick is likely needed too but not signing a vet CB might be a sign that the coaching staff and organization like what they have so to speak at the position. 

Unsure what they could be looking at that they would like right now.  Siran Neal, Dane Jackson and Cam Lewis - don’t think any of them should be starting at CB for a team that hopes to get to and win the Super Bowl.  Really, they need to do better than that if they want to beat Miami who now has maybe the best WR and TE combination in the league.

25 minutes ago, DasNootz said:

Or they could try to trade up in round 1 for a corner that they like.  I would not be surprised if Kyler Gordon was available and they liked him enough to take.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, DasNootz said:

worked for Knox too.

I could see them trade up for a WR, but not really a CB.  Their zone defense hides deficiencies in CB's

23 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I look at it differently.  I think they would play more varied defenses if they had a good CB opposite White.

A very good point. With better talent at CB, you can leave them out there on an island so you can blitz more often. If you can get by with just one less person in coverage, you open up the possibility of taking down a QB or getting a TFL.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Improve the pass rush so the corners don't have to work as hard.

If the secondary can’t cover for a bit, pass rush doesn’t have time to get the QB.  In addition, if the corners can cover they can play more aggressively on D which would also help the pass rush.

I’m not saying that you are wrong - both are important.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.