Are the Chiefs still the team we're building our team to beat???

Dopey

I've been saying you don't build your team to beat anyone in particular. 

However, I think you might adjust your short term vs long term planning on your opinion of the overall chances in the upcoming season.  What I am wondering is if now, the Bills FO leans in a little more on the short term.  KC just downgraded for next season.  It appears to many (and shown through Vegas odds) that the Bills opportunity has increased.

Do you think the FO will adjust their plans?  Will they now pay a higher price for say Haden (I hope so)?  Will they now lean more towards a CB or IOL in round 1 than say  the WR because of the earlier use (I hope not).  Would they be more willing to entertain a higher price for Bradberry?  Do they raise their internal limit on Bates?

• Like (+1) 1

Losing Hill is going to hurt the Chiefs but they are now stockpiled with draft picks and can position themselves to trade up for the best WR in the draft if they want to. Veach might very well be the best GM in the game right now considering his haul last year.

Won't be shocked if they make a run at our old friend Beasely either and probably will add at least one more veteran along the way regardless.

Either way Chiefs and Mahomes still the gold standard until they aren't.

On 3/23/2022 at 8:46 PM, YoloinOhio said:

We will see if the chargers can stop the chiefs, Hill or no Hill. They added Mack and jC Jackson but horrendous D last year. 

Do you not think having Mack and Bosa with a shutdown corner won’t change their whole complexion! I do. 

14 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Losing Hill is going to hurt the Chiefs but they are now stockpiled with draft picks and can position themselves to trade up for the best WR in the draft if they want to. Veach might very well be the best GM in the game right now considering his haul last year.

Won't be shocked if they make a run at our old friend Beasely either and probably will add at least one more veteran along the way regardless.

Either way Chiefs and Mahomes still the gold standard until they aren't.

Looks like Chiefs are rolling with JuJu and Scantling Valdez. Huge drop off from Hill. Not scared of KC unless they trade up and get one of the top 2 draft WRs. 

Edited by Locomark

On 3/24/2022 at 5:04 AM, Greg S said:

I am not so sure anymore. Looking at it from a Bills perspective they will have to deal (potentially) with Burrow, Wilson, Herbert, Watson along with Mahomes in the playoffs. The talent of QB's in this conference is insane.

You're right. The AFC is now a gauntlet. The Chiefs will slightly drop in their dominance. Niether Juju nor Scantling will strike fear in you like Tyreek did. And the one neutralizing factor for Hill is Tua throwing to him.  But..... if by some CRUEL act of God Brady gets traded to Miami, I will just say F-it.

The chiefs will be what they were the last few years.  A super bowl contender.  That said, I don’t think they win the afc and even have a chance to miss out on the playoffs altogether.  That more has to do with the all time strength of the AFC.  I think every Afc playoff team will have a legit shot to win the SB.  

With a few exceptions, the overall trend in the league is for teams to try and develop explosive passing offenses like Kansas City and Buffalo possess.  If Buffalo can develop an effective defense against that kind of explosiveness, and defend the run better too, it will benefit them regardless of who the opponent is.

On 3/17/2022 at 9:24 PM, HappyDays said:

Chiefs schedule is insane next year.

https://fbschedules.com/2022-kansas-city-chiefs-schedule/#

The only gimmes are Texans and Jaguars. I see no chance of them edging us out for the top seed. It will be us or the Titans IMO.

Did you mean insanely easy?

While some teams got new QB’s, that doesn’t guarantee anything 

oh and there are no gummies in the NFL

We need to be thinking about how to beat teams like the Titans and Colts. Can't allow these rushing teams to control time of possession. Those are the kinds of teams that gave us the most trouble last year, with the exception of KC. Our defense was pretty good against passing teams and really struggled with rushing teams. Hopefully, the revamped DL solves some of those issues. On offense, I agree with the coach and Beane. We cannot afford to lose our fastball. Need lots of weapons for Josh and we need to keep him upright.

On 3/17/2022 at 8:07 PM, Buffalo716 said:

We were 11th overall in sacks and 1 more would have us tied for 9th 

We got alot more sacks than people realize

Except when it mattered the most !!

On 3/23/2022 at 4:05 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

The popular theory that we were building to beat the Chiefs was never true in the first place.  Beane and McD first focused on the foundations of the team...improve the lines and go find the QB.  Then they went out and got some upgrades to weapons for Josh while also building weak spots on the D.  Then they went and got Josh an elite weapon and continue building up weaker holes.  Then last year they went after fixing our most glaring hole, pass rush.  And we finished the season 2nd in the NFL in pressures as a result of it.  

Now this year, they focused on converting those pressures into more finishes and signed Von Miller to go with our young talent and shored up the interior trenches, another weak spot on the team.  

So, I don't think Beane and McD are doing anything other than looking to close our holes and look for upgrades at our less than stellar positions. I don't think any of their decisions are made based on KC, I think its all about realizing where we are not good enough and trying to make those spots better.

Thanks.   This says it well. 

McDermott's view of the game is this:   It's all just football.   It's guys blocking and tackling.    The question is what's the best way to deploy 11 defenders to stop whatever it is the 11 opponents are trying to do.  How can we best cover all the territory that needs to be covered and still attack the guy with the ball, especially the QB?  

From week to week, McDermott tries to teach his team how to adjust their base defense to stop the style and tendencies of the next team, and how to adjust their offense to attack the opponent's defense.   McDermott is very aware of trends, and aware of the particularly difficult aspects of beating the Chiefs, but he isn't building the team to stop them.  When he's building his base defense I'm sure he's thinking about how that defense can adapt to playing the Chiefs, but he's also thinking that about a half dozen other teams.   And with Hill in Miami, he's thinking about the Dolphins. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/24/2022 at 10:41 AM, Einstein's Dog said:

I've been saying you don't build your team to beat anyone in particular. 

However, I think you might adjust your short term vs long term planning on your opinion of the overall chances in the upcoming season.  What I am wondering is if now, the Bills FO leans in a little more on the short term.  KC just downgraded for next season.  It appears to many (and shown through Vegas odds) that the Bills opportunity has increased.

Do you think the FO will adjust their plans?  Will they now pay a higher price for say Haden (I hope so)?  Will they now lean more towards a CB or IOL in round 1 than say  the WR because of the earlier use (I hope not).  Would they be more willing to entertain a higher price for Bradberry?  Do they raise their internal limit on Bates?

Great questions, but I don't think their plans change.  They're about discipline, and their discipline is based on the belief that building the team the right way for the long term is the best way to win Super Bowls.  Be the Steelers, be the Patriots.  Be the team that seems to be in the conversation every season.   I don't think they mortgage the future to get that extra guy for 2023.  They trust the process. 

Although it all seemed like magic as it was happening, so far as I understand it getting Miller and the other help on the Dline did not leave the Bills in an unmanageable cap situation in a year or two.  Maybe tight, but not unmanageable.  They found their backup QBs, they got a potentially significant contributor in Crowder, a professional who plays the slot, a professional's position.  Their absence from the corner back market could suggest that they think more of Jackson and Neal and their young safeties than we know.  Point is, what we may like to think are positions of need may not look so dire to McDermott.  

I think the Bills plan to win the Super Bowl this season literally by doing the best they can by filling the rest of the roster at rock-bottom prices and by getting a guy or two in the draft.  It's not unreasonable to expect two rookies helping pretty much right away, like Rousseau and Spencer Brown.   Whatever happens in 2022, that discipline will make the Bills better in 2023, and better year after year is the plan.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

They are definitely one of them ! Any given Sunday as we have seen you can lose we were suppose to beat the Jags last year & we didn't that was 1 game that could have made a difference in HFA in the play offs & bringing the AFC championship game to WNY .

So i'd say the Bills are building a team to beat them all i would hope as to make it to the big game because as we have seen it only takes 1 or 2 teams or plays to change the out come of your entire season & i think after last season every one coaches included have learned a hard lesson and they will leave no stone unturned ...

16 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I think the Bills plan to win the Super Bowl this season literally by doing the best they can by filling the rest of the roster at rock-bottom prices and by getting a guy or two in the draft.  It's not unreasonable to expect two rookies helping pretty much right away, like Rousseau and Spencer Brown.   Whatever happens in 2022, that discipline will make the Bills better in 2023, and better year after year is the plan.  

It will be interesting to see it play out.  But I think it has to be more tempting now than before to find the extra money for a Patrick Peterson or James Bradberry.  

Maybe the holdup with Bates is he's within $2M of Trai Turner.  So now that negotiation is being settled before they respond to Bates.

Even if these moves are done we won't know if they were helped along by a change in the odds of winning it all.  Seems reasonable they are planning a couple more moves, it's just now they may up the ante to the bigger fish - Turner/Bradberry/Peterson.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.