Are the Chiefs still the team we're building our team to beat???

Dopey

First we want these 4 teams to beat the living crap out of each other throughout the season.  Barring any weird weather games or difficulties scheming Hill, we should cake walk thru the east. The goal should be 13 wins and home field throughout. Denver might now be the challenge out of the west? 

On 3/17/2022 at 5:56 PM, Dopey said:

With the rest of division making moves to upgrade and  the QBs now in the AFCW, they might have a hard time just winning they're division. 

Denver bringing in Wilson 

Chargers adding a ton of talent 

The Raiders are the surprise to me in the recent moves they made so far. 

To me, all of a sudden, the Chiefs might not be the target for us next season.

Thoughts?

I looked but couldn't find a thread on this topic. Feel free to merge if there is one.

The popular theory that we were building to beat the Chiefs was never true in the first place.  Beane and McD first focused on the foundations of the team...improve the lines and go find the QB.  Then they went out and got some upgrades to weapons for Josh while also building weak spots on the D.  Then they went and got Josh an elite weapon and continue building up weaker holes.  Then last year they went after fixing our most glaring hole, pass rush.  And we finished the season 2nd in the NFL in pressures as a result of it.  

Now this year, they focused on converting those pressures into more finishes and signed Von Miller to go with our young talent and shored up the interior trenches, another weak spot on the team.  

So, I don't think Beane and McD are doing anything other than looking to close our holes and look for upgrades at our less than stellar positions. I don't think any of their decisions are made based on KC, I think its all about realizing where we are not good enough and trying to make those spots better.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, JimBob2232 said:

Kansas City with all those picks could retool nicely if they hit on them.   Hill Hurts them in the short term - but probably the right longer term move. 

They are now a different team compared to the Chiefs team that we’ve been chasing the last couple of years. Even if they hit on some of these picks, They no longer have the most feared big-play threat in the NFL. At one time they did, but now they don’t.

You could say that Tyreek Hill will decline in form/ability or that he already has, so this is a good move for the Chiefs. Either way, as a fan, I fear them less today than I did yesterday.

• Like (+1) 4

This should be a cautionary tale of why you should never build a team with a goal to match up to a specific team.  Things are much too fluid. 

Yes, losses to teams can expose your weaknesses and areas you need to improve.   But you build the best team you can and keep in mind the cap ramifications of moves you need to make.  I think the Bills are doing a great job of this.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/17/2022 at 6:02 PM, buffalo2218 said:

Yeah I see more than just the Chiefs for a revenge tour. If the Bills fans at highmark pelt Vrabel with batteries when he comes out of the tunnel? I'd be ok with that

Maybe just some AAA batteries 😆 don’t want to hurt him. 

In today's NFL, go and get:

Head Coach and Franchise QB.

Keep your QB upright and give him some weapons. 

Be able to take down the opposing QB (pass rush) and take the ball away from him (secondary).

Then...hope that your front office's resource allocation and salary cap management is good enough to keep the above core in place (and/or replenished when necessary) and surrounded by enough complementary pieces to keep a championship window open for 5-10 years.

Bills are on track. Vegas agrees.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Locomark said:

The Chargers are now. With Hill gone on an offense that was 100% based on Mahomes/Hill/Kelce, they are now looking up at 3-4 teams IMO. 

We will see if the chargers can stop the chiefs, Hill or no Hill. They added Mack and jC Jackson but horrendous D last year. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/17/2022 at 8:59 PM, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

The Bills are built to beat all adversaries.  Beat them into submission and leave them crying on the sideline.

If your team is built to beat the best at its best, it should be able to beat lesser teams, and until they prove otherwise, the Broncos, Chargers, and Raiders are still behind the Chiefs.   As long as the Chiefs have Mahomes and Reid, they're going to set the bar for the rest of the AFCW and most of the AFC, too, just as Brady and Belichick did for so many years.   A future HOF QB coached by a future HOF HC is a prescription for winning a lot of games.

11 hours ago, Awwufelloff said:

Whatever team has the best qb are always the teams to beat. So yes KC is still that team. 

I am not so sure anymore. Looking at it from a Bills perspective they will have to deal (potentially) with Burrow, Wilson, Herbert, Watson along with Mahomes in the playoffs. The talent of QB's in this conference is insane.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.