Bills sign DT Tim Settle, formally of Washington Commanders.

MAJBobby

39 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

This is a sneaky good signing.  Many people have commented that Settle is a really DT that just didn’t get the snaps with Washington.  I think he’s going to step into a pretty big role in Buffalo - I think he’s starting 1TDT…I don’t see Phillips coming back

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

This is a sneaky good signing.  Many people have commented that Settle is a really DT that just didn’t get the snaps with Washington.  I think he’s going to step into a pretty big role in Buffalo - I think he’s starting 1TDT…I don’t see Phillips coming back

what's sneaky about it?

https://washingtonfootballwire.usatoday.com/lists/washington-commanders-2022-free-agency-preview-tim-settle-will-have-options-nfl-free-agent/

The above link states that in 2020, despite only playing 33% of the defensive snaps on the season, Settle had five sacks and ten pressures.

Sounds to me like he just needs some opportunity, which he should get in Buffalo

• Like (+1) 3

46 minutes ago, Process said:

Never heard of him. Does he actually fill the need at DT or is he just a backup depth guy?

I do like that we are adding to the lines in FA. Use our early draft picks on the big money positions (WR, CB).

He's an underrated guy. I didn't think we had a chance as his age. I also saw him as a backup to Oliver but he should replace Phillips but as a better pass rusher.

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

https://washingtonfootballwire.usatoday.com/lists/washington-commanders-2022-free-agency-preview-tim-settle-will-have-options-nfl-free-agent/

The above link states that in 2020, despite only playing 33% of the defensive snaps on the season, Settle had five sacks and ten pressures.

Sounds to me like he just needs some opportunity, which he should get in Buffalo

then he drops to 20% of the snaps in 2021?  Is that not a red flag? 

Probably an upgrade over Phillips who really only played a few good games in Buffalo.  

Agree with others, this may mean no DT in the early rounds of the draft opening up a chance to grab a WR, edge, OT, or maybe another TE

I'm reading through all the comments on Adam Schefter's Tweet announcing this signing, and it's a whole lot of WFT/Commanders fans saying how good he is, how they wanted him back, how Buffalo got a real gem.

Usually, when a free agent leaves a team to sign elsewhere, fans of his former team defensively say that he's overrated, overpriced, they aren't sorry to see him go, whatever.

Not the case here. Every WFT/Commanders fan that responds in the comment -- every single one -- has nothing but good things to say about Tim Settle.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Ethan in Portland said:

Probably an upgrade over Phillips who really only played a few good games in Buffalo.  

Agree with others, this may mean no DT in the early rounds of the draft opening up a chance to grab a WR, edge, OT, or maybe another TE

Ionnadis was back in 2021.

• Like (+1) 1

When they have 2 First round picks on the DT spot. Nope not at all. Not like Washington has been good at evaluating talent over the years. 

Red flag? Not to me. He only played that many snaps in 2020 because of injury to Matt Ionaidis. The WFT D-line is STACKED. Chase Young, DaRon Payne, Matt Ionaidis, Montez Sweat. Whole lotta talent in front of Settle, and not every team rotates their d-line as heavily as McDermott does.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Ethan in Portland said:

It’s not a red flag because you don’t know the whole story.  Ioannadis was injured week 3 in 2020 and missed the rest of the season…..back in 2021…..hence the drop in snaps.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Cue all the folks who just found out this guy existed to start gushing about his potential.

Cue the guy who just found out this guy existed to start complaining like the whiny little B word he is…

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

Red flag? Not to me. He only played that many snaps in 2020 because of injury to Matt Ionaidis. The WFT D-line is STACKED. Chase Young, DaRon Payne, Matt Ionaidis, Montez Sweat. Whole lotta talent in front of Settle, and not every team rotates their d-line as heavily as McDermott does.

And Jonathan Allen as well. They really are one of the best in the NFL. Reminds me of the drought years with the Bills, how we wasted a number of REALLY good defensive units. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.