2022 Free Agency - Around the NFL Thread

Draconator

Just now, MiltonWaddams said:

He also provided me with the most entertaining Monday night I've spent in Seattle. He and Bob Woods went off vs. the Hawks. We will always have Seattle Tyrod, always....

Yes.  The Seattle game and a handful of Miami games.  He gave us those.  The rest of the games?  We got crap. Good riddance.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

2 years 17 million makes me think the Giants may have offered Trubisky more but he saw a better opportunity with the Steelers and took less money 

Probably.  Better team, proven coaching in Pitt.

Wanna jump start your career with the NYG?  Or Pitt?

I think Beane has it right: Avoid the big overpays in free agency for the top tier guys. Instead, use free agency to plug holes, scoop up young players with potential who needed a change of scenery, add veteran role players, and make it so that you don't have glaring holes on draft day. Use most of your cap money to re-sign drafted players and retain home grown talent. Wash, rinse, repeat.

The flip side of that coin is the wild spending on contracts that look bad when they're signed, and look even WORSE a year or two later. We saw this last year with New England handing out funny money to the likes of Nelson Algholor and Johnnu Smith -- contracts that ALREADY look bad and will only look worse with time. We're seeing it again this year with the Jaguars, who have given out giant contracts to lesser players like Christian Kirk, Zay Jones, and Even Engram, and whose offensive personnel STILL doesn't look particularly threatening.

Free agent mega spending doesn't seem to regularly translate to wins or to stable cap situations. Using free agency judiciously to fill roster holes and allocating most of your money to homegrown talent and committing to building through the draft DOES seem to translate to consistent team success and cap stability. Beane has it right.

Cue the Beane haters in 3, 2, 1...

• Like (+1) 8
  • Disagree 1

NFLN fail.  Watching free agent frenzy and they ask brunette female patriot reporter (her name escapes me) her opinion on what the bills should do this offseason.  She says that the Bills have to focus on improving the middle of the Dline.  No mention of settle or Jones. 

Just now, MiltonWaddams said:

Not a bad signing. Foreman was good when Henry went down.

Chubba and Foreman to backup McC?  Might be on the move for Watson!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.