Mitch Morse restructured contract - Increase in pay, but 2022 cap number decreases by $2 Million

Draconator

1 hour ago, Draconator said:

Smart and the Best OL on the Bills last year.  I have talked about planning for Life after Morse, but based on all the medical stuff he has been open with this offseason that he is not concerned about the concussion history I am no longer worried as much about an early retirement here, and clearly the Bills are not either.

56 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

In the back of my mind I was still worried about Morse retiring. This is excellent news. One less potential hole to worry about.

Lessens the sting on the Creed Humphrey negligence too.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2

7 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Ok?

My apologies for some reason my brain read “restructure” as “extend for a higher cap hit”. Straight brain fart in my part and my bad 

Guy I’m looking at…Alex Cappa

33 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I'd guess that Beane, McDermott and Kromer sat down after Kromer had a chance to watch some film.   They talked about what Kromer wants his line to look like.   After that conversation, Beane had a path forward with Morse and Williams.  

I expect a guard is on his way via free agency.  

And I think this board is way underestimating how important a Center is to the QB. Josh doesn't want anyone else is my guess... and boom, Mitch gets a new deal.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, foreboding said:

And I think this board is way underestimating how important a Center is to the QB. Josh doesn't want anyone else is my guess... and boom, Mitch gets a new deal.

Totally agree.  He's solid NFL player and leader, and Josh loves him.  We can't have all-pros at every position, so if a guy is solid enough to play but not a sure thing I'm sure Josh's desires weigh heavily on the equation

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

People can hate on Mitch Morse all they want, but you really notice what a solid pass-blocking center brings when you don't have one...

He is critical to this team's success, especially with continuity with Josh Allen and keeping the interior pocket clean

Is he the world's best run-blocker?  Not even close.  But that's not the most important component here

Solid move all around

He also leads the way on designed QB runs.  He was always clearing lanes for JA17 on those QB runs to the right.

39 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Just goes to show that the cap is quite flexible. 

A guy gets a raise and his cap number goes down by 2 million. 

It'll be more flexible if they draft his backup this year. I like his play and he played all games this year, but his injury history still is a concern.

3 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

I get the restructuring but a raise? He's Mobile but can't move a traffic cone run blocking. Also a hit away from serious head injury.

He was the most consistent lineman all year. Very good pass pro, can pull, and he stabilizes the line. We just release two guards , so it important for Josh and our O to have at least some stability with experience as well.  I like this and is really a good mo e by Beane. He did great last year medically as well, knock on wood!  😊. Williams was a mistake last year, overpaid and being moved inside to guard just exacerbated the mistake of running it back with that line from the previous year  He was bad on film in the playoffs the prior year , esp on run plays where he looked lost and just stood there at times. So cutting him was a good correction and we will find better  Mitch is a very good center and critical to keep with changing the guards.   Lots of changes with this O ; hopefully they don’t drop games like Pittsburgh last year as it will take a while for Dorsey and all the new receivers, lineman , etc to get in sync. 

14 minutes ago, DrPJax said:

He was the most consistent lineman all year. Very good pass pro, can pull, and he stabilizes the line. We just release two guards , so it important for Josh and our O to have at least some stability with experience as well.  I like this and is really a good mo e by Beane. He did great last year medically as well, knock on wood!  😊. Williams was a mistake last year, overpaid and being moved inside to guard just exacerbated the mistake of running it back with that line from the previous year  He was bad on film in the playoffs the prior year , esp on run plays where he looked lost and just stood there at times. So cutting him was a good correction and we will find better  Mitch is a very good center and critical to keep with changing the guards.   Lots of changes with this O ; hopefully they don’t drop games like Pittsburgh last year as it will take a while for Dorsey and all the new receivers, lineman , etc to get in sync. 

Williams may well return at a lesser Guard price. He’s an effective player as his starts attest to, regardless of your assessment. 

20 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Williams may well return at a lesser Guard price. He’s an effective player as his starts attest to, regardless of your assessment. 

It's not un-possible.  I think cutting him is a decent move for both sides:

1) I think some of the Bills problems with the run game and in pass pro is that we couldn't decide an identity.  Did we want big, physical guys who can move the DL around?  Or were we more interested in athletic guys with quick feet who can get out in space and pull?  (Ideally we'd have both, but everyone wants those guys)

So letting Williams and Feliciano move on is a way to open the door to a clearer identity

2) Williams undoubtedly would like to be seen as a RT.  So cutting him lets him pursue that

He's effective and this way he can go out and look around and if he doesn't like what he finds and the Bills are still in need, a reunion is possible.

But I hope that last is not true and that we find someone better.

2 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

I believe Morse used leverage of a good season against the Bills this season, two seasons ago he finished poorly and was asked to take a pay cut. This past year he finished strong and threw out rumours that he would retire early.  

I don't know if Morse is the source of said rumors, but the rest is spot on.  In 2020 he struggled some and had a down year, leading to the pay cut request.  He had a resurgence in 2021 and got rewarded.  It also sends a message to the locker room "if you do agree to take a pay cut but keep your head down and grind and improve, the Bills will reward you."

3 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

People can hate on Mitch Morse all they want, but you really notice what a solid pass-blocking center brings when you don't have one...

He is critical to this team's success, especially with continuity with Josh Allen and keeping the interior pocket clean

Is he the world's best run-blocker?  Not even close.  But that's not the most important component here

Solid move all around

I'll caveat this with Morse is a very good run blocker in space - very good pulling Center, and that's a hard thing.

As Beane has said fairly in the past, Morse is an athletic center, he isn't and will never be the guy who takes on a NT and shoves him back 2 yards

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.