Mitch Morse restructured contract - Increase in pay, but 2022 cap number decreases by $2 Million

Draconator

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's not un-possible.  I think cutting him is a decent move for both sides:

1) I think some of the Bills problems with the run game and in pass pro is that we couldn't decide an identity.  Did we want big, physical guys who can move the DL around?  Or were we more interested in athletic guys with quick feet who can get out in space and pull?  (Ideally we'd have both, but everyone wants those guys)

So letting Williams and Feliciano move on is a way to open the door to a clearer identity

2) Williams undoubtedly would like to be seen as a RT.  So cutting him lets him pursue that

He's effective and this way he can go out and look around and if he doesn't like what he finds and the Bills are still in need, a reunion is possible.

But I hope that last is not true and that we find someone better.

I don't know if Morse is the source of said rumors, but the rest is spot on.  In 2020 he struggled some and had a down year, leading to the pay cut request.  He had a resurgence in 2021 and got rewarded.  It also sends a message to the locker room "if you do agree to take a pay cut but keep your head down and grind and improve, the Bills will reward you."

You could be right and nothing wrong with a player using leverage they have to get more money.  He kept quiet and did not complain about pay cut and improved.  He was also a team spokesperson late in the season

3 hours ago, foreboding said:

And I think this board is way underestimating how important a Center is to the QB. Josh doesn't want anyone else is my guess... and boom, Mitch gets a new deal.

Yeah, and I bet Morse was more cooperative knowing that the cap room would mean Rodger Saffold was coming. 

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, wjag said:

He also leads the way on designed QB runs.  He was always clearing lanes for JA17 on those QB runs to the right.

He was great in space last year - extremely mobile and mowing people down at second level.  If some of the rumors of Kromer going to more zone blocking are true he would be a very good fit

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.