Brandon Beane looking for speed ? Cardinals grant WR Andy Isabella permission to seek trade

HOUSE

11 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Watching Cody Ford suck last season and Cole Beasley be a douche literally caused me to think.........."I wonder if Arizona would take Ford for Andy Isabella".

And I think they would..........but OL's around the league are really thin and veterans are valued...........see Bobby Hart somehow still getting work.

So I don't think Isabella even has enough value to be worth Cody Ford.

I enjoy your insights but this makes me think you may need a hobby if you considered the merits of Ford for Isabella unprompted 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I enjoy your insights but this makes me think you may need a hobby if you considered the merits of Ford for Isabella unprompted 

In fairness............I also needed to see Cole Beasley being an idiot online while rolling up $100K in protocol fines and missing the biggest game of the regular season for his beliefs while producing a laughably low 8.5 yard per catch.  

If you come to camp with Andy Isabella as your top option at slot receiver..........you're hurtin'.  :lol:

7 hours ago, Augie said:

Well, he’s certainly fast enough! My main question is WHY he produced so little. I was curious about him coming out of college, and would have expected more. How are his routes? Hands? Coverage awareness? Or is he just fast? 

I completely lost track of him after the draft.

Cards articles read just now say he's had problems getting off the line against press. Makes too many moves, takes too much time. Also say he's a body catcher, which in a guy his size even further reduces his catch radius. Also say it may be that their lack of an OL forces Murray to start dodging rather than looking too early in the play and this may be having efffects on him never finding Isabella in scramble drills.

They also wonder whether playing him exclusively in the slot when he only played outside in college may be a mistake.

They also want to point out that Edelman sucked for his first four pro years while he learned behind Welker and such. They were aware that that was a stretch, and it really really is. Edelman played QB at college. Most guys who suck in their first three or four years in the pros don't turn it around. It's not impossible. There really are a few who manage it, but they're few.

I liked him that draft. Wouldn't give much now, though. I'd love to give him a try, but I'd set a low ceiling on possible trade compensation. In the article in the OP they suggested that even a swap in one round might be enough. But with the Cards at #23 and the Bills at #25, that obviously wouldn't work.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Andy Isabella's time in Arizona appears to be coming to an end.

Isabella's agent, Bradley Blank, told CBS Sports' Josina Anderson on Wednesday that he's been permitted to seek a trade.

"I think we have all concluded, including the Cardinals, that it might be best for Andy to get a fresh start," Blank told Anderson.

The Cardinals drafted Isabella in the second round of the 2019 NFL Draft with designs of the UMass product adding a speed element to the receivering corps. That hasn't worked out.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/I/IsabAn00.htm

And when we say "it hasn't worked out", we mean (click to embiggen)

image.thumb.png.a23d949e8601ddfb9f31f5598fd6f8f2.png

In 2020, he saw the field for 34% of the offensive snaps.  21 receptions on 35 targets for 224 yds is pretty pathetic ROI for that 2nd round pick.

Compare and contrast McKenzie saw the field for 25% of the offensive snaps in 2020 and caught 30 balls on 34 targets for 282 yds

Similar Y/Tgt and Y/Catch on similar snap counts for 2021

Isabella is due $1.12M salary for 2022

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Also say he's a body catcher, which in a guy his size even further reduces his catch radius.

He has little baby hands. And to your point, with that catch radius he would not be a bad ball catcher. Kyler Murray is a not an accurate dude. Even with all those factors one would think he would at the very least make an impact in the return game. But it seems like he is a complete bust. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Saints would be wise to consider Andy Isabella after Cardinals grant trade request

Any team acquiring the 25-year-old will be on the hook for his $1,126,350 salary cap hit, which is easily affordable. If he can find a role and maybe crack the starting lineup in New Orleans, it looks like a steal. The Cardinals only played him in eight games last season totaling 30 snaps of offense and 24 on special teams. He caught his only target of the year to gain 13 yards and convert a first down.

There weren’t many snaps to go around behind Christian Kirk, A.J. Green, DeAndre Hopkins, and Rondale Moore, but Arizona didn’t do Isabella any favors by playing Antoine Wesley (a favorite of head coach Kliff Kingsbury, who was brought with him from Texas Tech) ahead of him. Of that group Kirk, Green, and Wesley are headed for free agency, but it appears Isabella’s time in Arizona has run its course regardless of the changes around him.

https://saintswire.usatoday.com/2022/03/02/saints-draft-picks-andy-isabella-cardinals-trade-request/

Edited by HOUSE

Admittedly, I was a huge fan of Isabella coming out of college.  It's bewildering to me that he hasn't put up hardly any production at all.   Sometimes a change of scenery can do wonders for anyone who is stuck in their career.   He probably could be had for a 6th rounder, and as fast as he is and as productive as he was in college, I think he could be the backup behind Beasley slot receiver for the team and who knows, if he works out maybe he could end up being the slot receiver for the team.  

I think trading a 6th rounder for a flyer for him is definitely worth it.

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, HOUSE said:

image.png.ed7d44be6e04331bb92e86c5fdd13344.png

Andy Isabella's time in Arizona appears to be coming to an end.

Isabella's agent, Bradley Blank, told CBS Sports' Josina Anderson on Wednesday that he's been permitted to seek a trade.

"I think we have all concluded, including the Cardinals, that it might be best for Andy to get a fresh start," Blank told Anderson.

The Cardinals drafted Isabella in the second round of the 2019 NFL Draft with designs of the UMass product adding a speed element to the receivering corps. That hasn't worked out.

With teams constantly looking for speed, it's possible a club could view it worth taking a flyer on Isabella in 2022, especially if they had high grades on him coming out of college. His lack of production indicates the cost in any trade wouldn't be steep -- possibly as low as a swap of draft selections.

4.31 seconds

His 2019 NFL Combine 40-yard dash turbo speed of 4.31 seconds was another reason to keep him. "His explosiveness, his speed, he can play inside and outside, very conscientious player, can play special teams, can be in the return game," Kingsbury said

https://www.nfl.com/news/cardinals-grant-wr-andy-isabella-permission-to-seek-trade

https://www.google.com/search?q=andy+isabella+40+speed&client=firefox-b-1-d&ei=HtAfYt6-IeuDwbkPh7u0-Ak&oq=Andy+Isabella+spped&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAEYAjIECAAQDTIGCAAQDRAeMggIABAIEA0QHjoHCAAQRxCwAzoLCC4QgAQQsQMQgwE6CwgAEIAEELEDEIMBOgQIABBDOgUIABCABDoFCAAQxAI6BggAEBYQHjoFCCEQoAFKBAhBGABKBAhGGABQiAxYtCtg40toAXABeACAAcYEiAGAGpIBCTAuMS40LTMuM5gBAKABAcgBCMABAQ&sclient=gws-wiz

Great speed but not worth anything more then a 6th or 7th rounder,  you can find guys like him in the late rounds of draft and have them on cheap rookie deals for 3-4 years.  

16 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

There will be a few speed options if he's serious. Isabella likely would be the least expensive option. DJ Chark and John Ross are both options, however both would be a tad costly and have some injury concerns. 

I fully expect a true blazing WR to be brought in. 

Chark would be awesome, but I expect him to get a pretty fat paycheck too.  

13 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Chark would be awesome, but I expect him to get a pretty fat paycheck too.  

I don't. He's coming off a down year ended early by injury. Plus there are projected to be a ton of good WRs on the FA market. He may need to settle for a 1 or 2 year "prove it". 

Wouldn't shock me if he re-signed a short term deal in Jacksonville right before FA opens.

• Like (+1) 1

IF you think Dawson Knox can teach him how to catch a ball, Digs can teach him how to rout run and we want a project maybe...  My problem is his size... what his his stride 3 feet? you look at that video, instead of him blowing past players he went around them and the defense almost caught up with him?  I say no based-on size. 

No thank you. I'm not giving up anything for a guy on the last year of his deal who couldn't get on the field or produce as a 2nd round pick. I don't care what he ran at the combine three years ago. The probability of him coming here and producing in a meaningful way is low. You can draft a guy in the 6th or 7th that would come with a similarly low probability of production, but at least that guy would be on an extremely cheap rookie deal for the next four years.

I'm not even advocating for drafting a WR flier in the 6th or 7th round. But if I'm given the option between a guy like him (one year left on a deal, has no production despite draft capital, more expensive for that one year compared to a rookie late round pick) and a late round pick (four year deal, no production either but at least has an unknown ceiling, and a cheaper contract), I'm going with the latter.

• Haha (+1) 1

He has speed.  For a team that runs alot of 4 wide he hasnt made an impact.  Could he play slot?  From what I remember of him coming out.  Slot was an obvious projection but questions were made if his game actually translated to the slot.  More fast than quick.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.