Has anyone ever owned goats?

Royale with Cheese

So I just bought a house on 1 acre.  There is an existing chain link fence in the back that's in two sections.  I'm ripping one out and putting in a rail fence.

So that back section is heavily wooded and it's about 1/4 acre.  They could forage through that I believe pretty quickly.  I'm afraid that the cost to feed them after they eat all that would be too expensive.  

Any advice would be appreciated.

8 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

So I just bought a house on 1 acre.  There is an existing chain link fence in the back that's in two sections.  I'm ripping one out and putting in a rail fence.

So that back section is heavily wooded and it's about 1/4 acre.  They could forage through that I believe pretty quickly.  I'm afraid that the cost to feed them after they eat all that would be too expensive.  

They need to get a part time job, to earn their keep.

image.thumb.jpeg.d6af9a2a7aedd581a0fc3aaa782bc91b.jpeg

A neighbour a couple roads over keeps about 3 on a similar sized lot.  Usually a bale of hay (small rectangular) in a feed crib outside.

1. Check zoning.

2. Have you considered chickens?

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

They need to get a part time job, to earn their keep.

image.thumb.jpeg.d6af9a2a7aedd581a0fc3aaa782bc91b.jpeg

A neighbour a couple roads over keeps about 3 on a similar sized lot.  Usually a bale of hay (small rectangular) in a feed crib outside.

1. Check zoning.

2. Have you considered chickens?

That goat looks familiar, hmmmmm

• Like (+1) 1

Yes sir. Had a goat and a few sheep growing up. Honest to God it saved me from some seriously injury at one point. My mom told me to never get into the pen with them, but being 10 I didn't listen. I went in to feed them and as soon as I got in, the sheep started ramming me against the wire fence. I got cut up a little bit and fell to the ground. The Goat stood over me for several minutes so the sheep couldn't get at me until my mom got back. He was s good boy. Low maintenance. 

• Awesome! (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

So I've never technically owned goats but I'm familiar with them...if OP wants to raise them himself after they're done clearing his land he will need to fix that fence and pay for feed, water etc

Our wild goats do a great job clearing land but once the job's done unless you have a Filipino population that will take them (we do) they're worthless unless you like eating goat (I don't particularly).

if you want more valuable animals there are milking goats like Nigerian dwarf which is popular around here, although they're less hardy and won't eat back the bush as fast as some other breeds. There are also goats you can raise for their fiber but again- not as good weedwackers.

I suggest OP put on some gloves and do it himself

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Are you raising them for milk? Meat? Or to clear the brush?

We had pygmy goats briefly (my wife wanted them for milk), but they kept escaping. They're crafty little ****ers.

Also, you need at least two adults, since they're pack animals and prefer goat company. If you want milk, one must have given birth recently, so you'll either have to sell the kid goat or share the milk.

Here's a page with some books, videos, and other resources: https://goatcollege.com/

35 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Are you raising them for milk? Meat? Or to clear the brush?

We had pygmy goats briefly (my wife wanted them for milk), but they kept escaping. They're crafty little ****ers.

Also, you need at least two adults, since they're pack animals and prefer goat company. If you want milk, one must have given birth recently, so you'll either have to sell the kid goat or share the milk.

Here's a page with some books, videos, and other resources: https://goatcollege.com/

I've had goats and they really are and did. They are like cats in a way... they want what they want and really don't care much what your wishes are. Nubians seem to be the mellowest of them all.

If you have any plants or bushes you want to keep... forget it.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Move out of Kentucky...

3 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

In those instances, did you find anyone got your goat ?

:doh:

🙂

They escaped the fenced-in pasture but stayed in the yard, so my wife was able to capture them.

Lesson learned: a chicken-wire fence is fine for chickens but worthless for goats.

Second lesson learned: when a chicken gets sick or old and needs to be put down, the wife has no problem with dispatching it and butchering it. Goats, not so much. (I had to do the dispatching, but she handled the butchering.)

Here are two of her blog posts about the brief goat adventure. Many of the reader comments are enlightening too.

https://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2014/03/goat-lessons-for-newbies.html

https://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2014/04/giving-up-on-goats.html

Edited by WhoTom
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Cost to feed is minimal. Get one and see how it goes. If you have a dog they'll be pals. If you have a cat they'll be pals.  We had a goat named Louis. We'd go on walks and he'd join us along with said dog, cats and ponies.  They are good climbers so make sure there's no way it could get out of your fenced area.  If you have a garden watch out, you'll have to goatproof it. Flower beds? Same thing.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/purina-goat-chow-goat-feed-50-lb-2801012?store=105&cid=Shopping-Google-Organic_Feed-Product-2801012&cid=Shopping-Google-LOB-Local_Feed&utm_medium=Google&utm_source=Shopping&utm_campaign=LOB&utm_content=Local_Feed&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiduSooCe9gIVpCGtBh0VFQ3rEAQYAiABEgJFjfD_BwE

Edited by Beerball
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Well I currently live in Atlanta….its a city in the southeast.

I’ve heard of it. Cute little town…..and very goat friendly, I hear.  One of the things it’s known for. 

Edited by Augie

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.