Has anyone ever owned goats?

Royale with Cheese

13 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

We had a couple when I was a kid (pun intended).  They will eat just about anything that grows out of the ground. Be careful if you plant anything of value (trees, shrubs, flowers) as they will probably become goat food. 

Only flower I've ever found that they won't touch is marigolds. They ate all of my young fruit tree's down to the ground and the raspberry bushes... they ate them thorns and all. I wound up putting them on long, probably 40', chains and just moved them around... but always access to shelter, water, etc. Gave them sweet feed once a day too. As pricky as they can be, mine like getting walked around on a leash with the dogs and a cat or two for company. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

We had a couple when I was a kid (pun intended).  They will eat just about anything that grows out of the ground. Be careful if you plant anything of value (trees, shrubs, flowers) as they will probably become goat food. 

I had a dog get my Crayola 64 pack when I was a kid (NO, not that kinda kid!) and she pooped rainbows for a while there! 

• Haha (+1) 2

On 2/25/2022 at 5:28 PM, T&C said:

I've had goats and they really are and did. They are like cats in a way... they want what they want and really don't care much what your wishes are. Nubians seem to be the mellowest of them all.

If you have any plants or bushes you want to keep... forget it.

My neighbor is keeping his 5 with just a standard wire 5 ft fence.

I plan on doing that in my very back but it will connect with my 5 ft wood rail fence.  I’m assuming they could easily jump that?

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I plan on doing that in my very back but it will connect with my 5 ft wood rail fence.  I’m assuming they could easily jump that?

They're not gonna jump over a 5 foot fence. Just keep minimal distance between the rails. More chance going under or through than over.

1 hour ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

They're not gonna jump over a 5 foot fence. Just keep minimal distance between the rails. More chance going under or through than over.

They will likely climb over the 5 foot rail fence, using the rails as steps, because that's what goats do.  

Growing up, we lived on my grandfather's farm for a few years before moving to our own.  My grandfather was retired from farming but he kept a collection of animals, including goats.   Mostly they were "pastured" on staked chains that were moved daily as somebody up thread mentioned because they wouldn't stay in their outdoor pen).  We had one that we made into a pet and she followed us around like a dog, but she could go where none of the dogs could go -- up the wooden ladder into the hay mow.   Goats climb.

Personally, I'd clear the trees/brush myself if I had a decent sized tractor with a bucket or forks.  It's more time consuming than hard.  Just be careful when cutting down trees.  No tractor, I'd probably hire somebody clear it.

On 2/25/2022 at 2:44 PM, Royale with Cheese said:

So I just bought a house on 1 acre.  There is an existing chain link fence in the back that's in two sections.  I'm ripping one out and putting in a rail fence.

So that back section is heavily wooded and it's about 1/4 acre.  They could forage through that I believe pretty quickly.  I'm afraid that the cost to feed them after they eat all that would be too expensive.  

Any advice would be appreciated.

My grandmother had a farm on California Road which had chickens, geese and goats.   She sold eggs but no idea what she did with goats.

The land bordered South Branch Smoke Creek.   I used to harvest crayfish for the geese in it.

Area was fenced to keep goats only eating what she wanted but they were very effective with taller goats eating higher plants.

Experts say 8-12 goats to clear an acre in a month but that depends on type of shrub, goat size and whether you feed other food as well as shrub which I recommend.  Goats eat everything but like children tend to eat the stuff they prefer first and this helps balance out the diet.

Have you looked at this site?  I am considering looking for a property when I retire to raise wild fowl and would want goats to help with predators.

https://www.goatfarmers.com

5 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

There are a lot of variety's when it comes to goats. One of the ones I had could jump a 5' fence. The other one was happy where she was. Speaking of "she"... better to get females for sure. I had a Nubian... the ones with the ears that hang down... and she was very sweet and never tried jumping out. They have a mellow personality but will for sure eat whatever is provided.

Like someone above mentioned... I used to rent them out, mainly to retirement communities with retention ponds and outlying areas that needed cleaning up... places machinery wouldn't work.

Go for Nubians if all you want is area's cleaned out.

10 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

That probably made for some very creative looking poop. You could have let it dry and put it on display :lol: 

I was young. I failed to realize the financial opportunity. Millions lost! FAR more entertaining than an Andy Warhol soup can! 

22 minutes ago, Augie said:

I was young. I failed to realize the financial opportunity. Millions lost! FAR more entertaining than an Andy Warhol soup can! 

But your colorful poop didn't mean you got to hang around with the Velvet Underground... and Nico.

4 minutes ago, T&C said:

But your colorful poop didn't mean you got to hang around with the Velvet Underground... and Nico.

Again……an opportunity missed. 

Technically, it was the dog’s colorful poop that captivated me as a child. When I tried to emulate her results I got a reputation around the neighborhood.

Dogs get away with almost anything!   😋

• Like (+1) 1

I know someone who shoots invasive goats.

😉 

18 hours ago, Augie said:

Again……an opportunity missed. 

Technically, it was the dog’s colorful poop that captivated me as a child. When I tried to emulate her results I got a reputation around the neighborhood.

Dogs get away with almost anything!   😋

And a box of "Franken Berry" was only a supermarket shelf away! 😉 

https://www.fatherly.com/health-science/franken-berry-stool-medical-condition/

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

AFTER you buy your son a pair of ***** winter boots!

we should just call CPS.

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

They cost about the same.  Plus, I don’t have to add oil or gas to the goat.  

but the lawnmower doesn't ***** all over the place, escape, require food, medical car, or eventually die.

Edited by teef

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Goats live 12-15 years.  Lawnmowers last probably 6-8 years.  Plus the maintenance.

My goats won’t escape.  

I’m also building them a beautiful shack.  

what are you doing to your lawnmower that it only lasts 6-8 years?  commercial use?

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.