Why has Juwan Howard not been fired and charged with assault?

reddogblitz

Have not seen this discussed anywhere so why not start a thread?

Juwan, a college coach coaching young men and should be setting an example on how to be a man punches or slaps or whatever an opposing coach.  How can Michigan not have fired him already?  When Woody Hayes punched an opposing player, he was packing his trash the next day.

Slapping someone like that is clearly an assault.  Should he be fired and charged?  If not, why not?

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/wisconsin-vs-michigan-fight-juwan-howard-strikes-coach-amid-mayhem-after-badgers-beat-wolverines/

Edited by reddogblitz
misspellings

the wisconsin coach is as much if not more at fault in this case.  Juwann was trying to walk past in an already tense situation, Gard grabbed his hands and started a conversation that probably didn't need to happen there at that point in time.  Things escalated and it almost looks like someone came at Juwann, regardless he should have shown restraint in not swinging.  Howard was clearly wrong, but Gard holds some culpability as well.  I'm glad the didn't fire Howard...yet.  

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, The Poojer said:

the wisconsin coach is as much if not more at fault in this case.  Juwann was trying to walk past in an already tense situation, Gard grabbed his hands and started a conversation that probably didn't need to happen there at that point in time.  Things escalated and it almost looks like someone came at Juwann, regardless he should have shown restraint in not swinging.  Howard was clearly wrong, but Gard holds some culpability as well.  I'm glad the didn't fire Howard...yet.  

Exactly.

Terrible for Howard going that far and he deserves to be punished. Fired? Not so sure about that. It's not like he was out there looking to get into a fight.

Gard holds a lot of responsibility in this mess too. Whatever was said, we may never know. It did not need to happen like this.

• Like (+1) 3

Fired? No. But probably should be suspended for a little bit. That's it.

It was a weak open hand slap.

Gard has a role in this for the way he approached him after the game.

Plus, everyone knows Howard (and Michigan in general) will likely have a PTSD flashback with every late-game TO called. You take your own risks. 🤣

edit: Not going to even address the idea that he be charged with something. Come on.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

36 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Fired? No. But probably should be suspended for a little bit. That's it.

It was a weak open hand slap.

Gard has a role in this for the way he approached him after the game.

Plus, everyone knows Howard (and Michigan in general) will likely have a PTSD flashback with every late-game TO called. You take your own risks. 🤣

edit: Not going to even address the idea that he be charged with something. Come on.

Michigan suspended Howard for the remainder of the regular season.

• Like (+1) 2

If I were the NCAA, I'd demand both of them be fired.  Coaches should be held to a higher standard.  They are mentors.  Have to control those emotions.  If you or I did this at work, we'd both be fired.  

Unless your job requires you to touch people, the cardinal rule in professional life is don't.   

1 hour ago, dpberr said:

If I were the NCAA, I'd demand both of them be fired.  Coaches should be held to a higher standard.  They are mentors.  Have to control those emotions.  If you or I did this at work, we'd both be fired.  

Unless your job requires you to touch people, the cardinal rule in professional life is don't.   

edit: Side rant on the NCAA:

I get what you are saying, but you lost me at "NCAA". Which is its own garbage organization that can't manage it's way out of an entry level McDonald's position, and has effed up every major decision, plan, and investigation in its history.

If I'm any top school in a P5 conference, I LAUGH and hang up the phone when the NCAA calls me and tries to tell me to do anything.

The NCAA needs the schools far more than the schools need the NCAA at this point. F#$& the NCAA.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Agree 1

47 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I get what you are saying, but you lost me at "NCAA". Which is its own garbage organization that can't manage it's way out of an entry level McDonald's position, and has effed up every major decision, plan, and investigation in its history.

If I'm any top school in a P5 conference, I LAUGH and hang up the phone when the NCAA calls me and tries to tell me to do anything.

The NCAA needs the schools far more than the schools need the NCAA at this point. F#$& the NCAA.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

I don't expect Michigan to do what needs doing.

15 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Juwan, a college coach coaching young men and should be setting an example on how to be a man punches or slaps or whatever an opposing coach.  How can Michigan not have fired him already?  When Woody Hayes punched an opposing player, he was packing his trash the next day.

Slapping someone like that is clearly an assault.  Should he be fired and charged?  If not, why not?

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/wisconsin-vs-michigan-fight-juwan-howard-strikes-coach-amid-mayhem-after-badgers-beat-wolverines/

I’m with you on considering firing but hopefully the police and DA have higher priorities that prosecuting him for assault for that little thing. I’ve been kissed harder than that. 

Edited by John Adams

Not his first offense and probably won’t be the last. Teams will try to get under his skin in the Big tennis tourney to see if they can set him off. This is from last year -

https://nypost.com/2021/03/13/juwan-howard-allegedly-threatened-mark-turgeon-in-ejection/amp/

I’m surprised Michigan didn’t fire him simply as an excuse to get rid of him. He’s a good recruiter and that’s about it. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

58 minutes ago, John Adams said:

I’m with you on considering firing but hopefully the police and DA have higher priorities that prosecuting him for assault for that little thing. I’ve been kissed harder than that. 

He slugged the dude in the head. That's an assault.  If it happened in a domestic disturbance he would be.  Why do jocks get a pass on this type of thing?  As to wether police and DA have more priorities is a fair point.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, The Poojer said:

Perhaps Gard did put his hands on Howard first. Does that give Howard the right to punch Joe Krabbenhoft? Had he punched Gard, you may have a case.

Edited by reddogblitz

12 hours ago, The Poojer said:

Yeah you don't ever........EVER..........put your hands on someone and steer them to address you when they are diffusing the situation by walking away from them unless you are in a position of authority with a badge or something.

First.......that is initiated assault by Gard.......the letter of the law..........and that would be at least frowned upon if Gard was caught on tape pushing one of his own players as they walked past him.........let alone a peer at another university in Juwan Howard.

Gard just thinks he's an authority figure over Howard for some reason.   

I had a guy do that ***** to me at a Bills game once when his drunk buddy was talking smack.   He thought he was some kind of cop and ended up on his ass in a daze.    

Keep your hands to your damn self, Gardy. :beer:

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

20 hours ago, The Poojer said:

yeah 5 games, which i suppose is an appropriate suspension, but if Gard skates on this, then there should be a lot of people upset

Gard didn’t smack anyone.    

14 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah you don't ever........EVER..........put your hands on someone and steer them to address you when they are diffusing the situation by walking away from them unless you are in a position of authority with a badge or something.

First.......that is initiated assault by Gard.......the letter of the law..........and that would be at least frowned upon if Gard was caught on tape pushing one of his own players as they walked past him.........let alone a peer at another university in Juwan Howard.

Gard just thinks he's an authority figure over Howard for some reason.   

I had a guy do that ***** to me at a Bills game once when his drunk buddy was talking smack.   He thought he was some kind of cop and ended up on his ass in a daze.    

Keep your hands to your damn self, Gardy. :beer:

You beat someone up at a bills game ?   Was he wearing a Mccoy jersey ? 

1 hour ago, Teddy KGB said:

Gard didn’t smack anyone.    

You beat someone up at a bills game ?   Was he wearing a Mccoy jersey ? 

1. Gard initiated a totally unnecessary physical confrontation.   An old dog like Gard should know better than to do something like that in the heat of the moment.   He likes to stir sh*t like that though...........and he surrounds himself with like minds.........his staff is a toxic environment with one assistant secretly recording their in-house fighting and another getting fired for using the "N-word" for some reason when addressing their mostly white team.    Gard then proceeded to take no blame for his actions wrt Howard and insisted that Wisconsin pay his fine..........while Howard graciously apologized.   

2. He was not wearing a McCoy jersey............did you wear your McCoy jersey when you took your partner out for fast casual dining on Valentine's Day?  

On 2/22/2022 at 1:20 AM, reddogblitz said:

Woody Hayes punched an opposing PLAYER, during a game, on the field. Completely different situation.  Howard was suspended,  and rightfully so. Assault? You kidding me Clark?

38 minutes ago, cle23 said:

Woody Hayes punched an opposing PLAYER, during a game, on the field. Completely different situation.  Howard was suspended,  and rightfully so. Assault? You kidding me Clark?

I fail to see the difference.  He should be fired. He is a coach teaching young men basketball and  setting an example how to be a man.  That's his job.  what is he teachng them?  Be a sore loser and punch someone on the other team after you get beat?  But that's cool as long as he didn't hit the other guy hard enough?

22 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

I fail to see the difference.  He should be fired. He is a coach teaching young men basketball and  setting an example how to be a man.  That's his job.  what is he teachng them?  Be a sore loser and punch someone on the other team after you get beat?  But that's cool as long as he didn't hit the other guy hard enough?

The difference is Hayes hit an opposing player, completely unprovoked, on the field, during the game. 

Howard obviously make a dumb choice in escalating the situation, but the other 2 coaches grabbed him, and also grabbed 2 of his players.  So stop comparing the 2.  Howard deserved to be punished, and he was.  

3 minutes ago, cle23 said:

The difference is Hayes hit an opposing player, completely unprovoked, on the field, during the game. 

Howard obviously make a dumb choice in escalating the situation, but the other 2 coaches grabbed him, and also grabbed 2 of his players.  So stop comparing the 2.  Howard deserved to be punished, and he was.  

Exactly.  @reddogblitz makes no sense whatsoever.   Gard has a history of being confrontational and out of line.......he initiated a confrontation when someone who has been around the game for 40+ years should know you don't do what he did when he did it.    Howard made the mistake of letting him get to him and reacting and is paying a substantial price and owning his actions.   Meanwhile Gard isn't owning any of his behavior..........just like in his prior scandals.

On 2/22/2022 at 6:17 PM, reddogblitz said:

He slugged the dude in the head. That's an assault.  If it happened in a domestic disturbance he would be.  Why do jocks get a pass on this type of thing?  As to wether police and DA have more priorities is a fair point.

Are you a man? You'd press charges for that little thing? 

On 2/24/2022 at 12:50 AM, reddogblitz said:

I don't have any issue with firing him. 

On 2/24/2022 at 12:50 AM, reddogblitz said:

I don’t know about the firing,  but the guy should get some anger management counseling.  He lost control and really struggled to get it back.  

Then again, when badgers get into it with wolverines you’d expect a real Donnybrook. 

On 2/22/2022 at 8:05 AM, The Poojer said:

I dont know much about the situation,  but I heard the Wisconsin coach put his hand on Howard's chest first 

On 2/25/2022 at 4:49 PM, RaoulDuke79 said:

I dont know much about the situation,  but I heard the Wisconsin coach put his hand on Howard's chest first 

Quite frankly I think we need more of this in life. You want to talk ish and poke chest expect to get hit in the face. A lesson I teach my kids: "Be careful with your words and actions because somebody might punch you in the mouth. Proceed with caution but always be educated to defend and protect yourself." The alternative is to be a Karen and cry to management. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Buffalosouth said:

Quite frankly I think we need more of this in life. You want to talk ish and poke chest expect to get hit in the face. A lesson I teach my kids: "Be careful with your words and actions because somebody might punch you in the mouth. Proceed with caution but always be educated to defend and protect yourself." The alternative is to be a Karen and cry to management. 

I just had this conversation with my 11 year old yesterday. She told me about  2 kids that got in a fight at school and I asked what happened. She said kid A got in kid B's face and started saying mean things and kid B socked kid A in the face. I think the younger generation is so used to saying whatever they want on social media that, they don't realize there could be a different outcome if you don't choose your words more wisely in person. 

• Like (+1) 1

I might have been in one 'fight' in my life, but i saw plenty in the 70's as a teen.  Biggest difference between then and now...the fights were usually planned, the participants would throw haymakers and afterwards they'd shake hands and it was done

14 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I just had this conversation with my 11 year old yesterday. She told me about  2 kids that got in a fight at school and I asked what happened. She said kid A got in kid B's face and started saying mean things and kid B socked kid A in the face. I think the younger generation is so used to saying whatever they want on social media that, they don't realize there could be a different outcome if you don't choose your words more wisely in person. 

On 3/3/2022 at 7:01 AM, The Poojer said:

I might have been in one 'fight' in my life, but i saw plenty in the 70's as a teen.  Biggest difference between then and now...the fights were usually planned, the participants would throw haymakers and afterwards they'd shake hands and it was done

Same with the 80s (when I was a teen).  When two kids wanted to fight, one challenged them to go "meet at the sticks," immediately after school.  The sticks was our party area in the woods a couple miles from the school.  That's where most of the fights took place.  Just like you said ... they duked it out for a bit, then agreed that it was over and never fought again after that.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.