Assistant QB Coach target Davis Webb elected to keep playing

CorkScrewHill

21 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Sounds like he’ll be named our assistant QB coach in late August.

Or the Giants asst QB coach, of course.

I'm not sure I buy the idea that he thinks he has a real chance to make the Giants roster..............he hasn't made an NFL roster since his rookie year and has one actual appearance in a real game.........maybe he assumes he will be back on the PS as a de facto QB coach either way..........and prefers to continue to learn from Daboll rather than be with first-timer Dorsey?    

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Or the Giants asst QB coach, of course.

I'm not sure I buy the idea that he thinks he has a real chance to make the Giants roster..............he hasn't made an NFL roster since his rookie year and has one actual appearance in a real game.........maybe he assumes he will be back on the PS as a de facto QB coach either way..........and prefers to continue to learn from Daboll rather than be with first-timer Dorsey?    

My thoughts as well.

Even if you take the playing aspect out of it, would Webb learn more under a defensive minded head coach with a new OC on an established team with an established QB, or would he learn more from an offensive minded head coach who now has to remake a team from scratch with his own philosophy, with a QB that's in need of a lot of coaching.

There are probably more valuable lessons to be learned for him from the NYG opportunity at this point in his career irrespective of Daboll's success or failure.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Mango said:

He makes $1M per year without a ton of responsibility and a decent amount of job security. The best paid QB coach in the NCAA makes $700k. Why make less money to most likely be home way less with your family. 

Don't forget the offseason for the players is also waaaay different than the offseason for the coaching staff. Webb can watch film from anywhere. Hit the gym anywhere. Get his kids to school. Go to middle school basketball games. Pick up and go on a two week vacation to St. Thomas anytime he wants. Coaches are still in the facility daily. 

So I can't imagine why anybody would want to drop 3rd string QB money to go be an assistant to an assistant coach. 

Fromm was there backup QB#3 last year.  He is likely confident he can beat him for #3 QB if it does not come to salary.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Mango said:

He makes $1M per year without a ton of responsibility and a decent amount of job security. The best paid QB coach in the NCAA makes $700k. Why make less money to most likely be home way less with your family. 

Don't forget the offseason for the players is also waaaay different than the offseason for the coaching staff. Webb can watch film from anywhere. Hit the gym anywhere. Get his kids to school. Go to middle school basketball games. Pick up and go on a two week vacation to St. Thomas anytime he wants. Coaches are still in the facility daily. 

So I can't imagine why anybody would want to drop 3rd string QB money to go be an assistant to an assistant coach. 

It will still be a path for him in a year or two, so why not take the bigger check and the easier life while you can? I respect his decision, and he’s still going to have the coaching option when his time comes. 

He didn’t reject the coaching option, he just delayed it. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.