Quinton Spain comments on release from the Bills

Process

Not sure what he and Hopkins were doing on that play. Looked like Hopkins was going left all the way. Spain should have known he was getting help from the center. When Spain let Donald take that outside rush he couldn’t get help anymore as Hopkins was gonna be too late. Just looks like a big screw up. Maybe they called a slide to the right with that walk up blitzer and Hopkins went left when he saw the blitzer bail out. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It shows enormous (Ha!) lack of self-awareness. 

Your team just lost the Superbowl, and part of the "L" was having your "Comeback Player of the Year" QB take 7 sacks on his reconstructed knee, and injure his knee to boot.

This is NOT the right time to be chirping with someone on twitter and calling them "a B word on the field and off the field"

Just log out.

Exactly. 

He believes the Bengals made the Super Bowl because of him...not in spite of him.

Unless the Bengals do something un-Bengal-like and invest in that line Joe Burrow may well end up this generation's David Carr.

7 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

He's better than any of the G's on our current roster. His release was a mistake unless there's more to this.

Was it?  And I’d take Bates over him.  The bigger mistake was waiting so long to start him. But LG isn’t the reason the Bills didn’t advance. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

This is neither here nor there, but who did we have starting at guard when we played the Rams last year?  Feliciano and Ford?  I just remember Allen got blown up and injured on a sack by Donald.

Allen not injured in 2020 Rams game.  Starting G were Ford and Winters.

Pretty sure Donald lined up over Winters, who was flagged for holding and illegal block several times.

That was the game where Allen got an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty after an uncalled face-mask, horsecollar tackle, and strip sack by Donald.

He later got a facemask penalty called on him - the play by play does NOT adequately describe the mayhem of that down.

You may be thinking of Joey Bosa in Chargers game, who tackled Josh outside the pocket and corkscrewed him down, injuring his knee (thankfully, not badly)

• Haha (+1) 1

Gee.  Spain gets turnstiles on the most critical play in the game, yet it is everyone else’s fault.  He played a good game, he says, except for the critical play that cost his team the game.  I can’t imagine why the Bills cut him with that attitude.  He is probably out of football next year.  

That's the problem with ALL offensive line though.  A screwup is highly visible and often catastrophic for the play.   Yes he got crushed, but to be fair, it was against the greatest defensive lineman if football.

I think it's pretty clear that Spain was emotionally unstable enough to be counted on, so we moved on from him.  I'm okay with that.   He's an NFL caliber guard, maybe a little below average.  But he's still better than Winters, Boettger or Ford. 

21 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Pretty sure Donald lined up over Winters, who was flagged for holding and illegal block several times.

That was the game where Allen got an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty after an uncalled face-mask, horsecollar tackle, and strip sack by Donald.

He later got a facemask penalty called on him - the play by play does NOT adequately describe the mayhem of that down.

You may be thinking of Joey Bosa in Chargers game, who tackled Josh outside the pocket and corkscrewed him down, injuring his knee (thankfully, not badly)

Excellent use of the word "mayhem". The b*tch-slap Josh gave two Ram D-linemen on that play will always be my favorite moment of our Josh Allen experience. 

23 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It shows enormous (Ha!) lack of self-awareness. 

Your team just lost the Superbowl, and part of the "L" was having your "Comeback Player of the Year" QB take 7 sacks on his reconstructed knee, and injure his knee to boot.

This is NOT the right time to be chirping with someone on twitter and calling them "a B word on the field and off the field"

Just log out.

I saw him get hurt and he did come back in and was fairly ineffective and dint put much strain on it.  How badly did he get hurt, haven't heard anything.

As for Spain that interview and the puerile back and forth with Simmons makes me happy he is not a Bill, he seems lie the antithesis of a "process guy"  No shock he and McD didnt get along.  

22 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Was that the play Bosa keep saying he didnt mean to hurt Josh, something like that is not who I am type dialogue after the play.

56 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I saw him get hurt and he did come back in and was fairly ineffective and dint put much strain on it.  How badly did he get hurt, haven't heard anything.

The reports out there are that it's a sprain, he'll have to rehab, but he won't need surgery.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bengals-joe-burrow-wont-need-knee-surgery-after-suffering-injury-in-super-bowl-vs-rams-per-report/

56 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Was that the play Bosa keep saying he didnt mean to hurt Josh, something like that is not who I am type dialogue after the play.

Yep, that's the one.  Bosa kept babbling to the Bills OL about how he wasn't trying to hurt him, I don't do that *****, what do you expect me to do, I was just trying to tackle him, he's huge.  Meanwhile the Bills OL are all just standing there, looming over him, looking.

Finally Feliciano said "you're OK" and Bosa stopped yapping like his vocal cords were unplugged.

Except for the concern about Josh being injured, it was pretty funny.  It seemed clear Bosa was less concerned for Josh and more concerned for his testicular integrity during the next pile-up, if the Bills thought he'd done Josh dirty.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.