Quinton Spain comments on release from the Bills

Process

10 minutes ago, FLFan said:

Quinton Spain exhibited a horrible attitude after getting paid by the Bills. His play dropped off past disappointing all the way to awful.  He was flat out lazy and terrible, and deserved to be cut. Good for him that he has turned it around I guess, but any comments he may have about how he was treated by the Bills should be ignored completely.  All his fault.  

Yup. Got paid, then wasn’t any good, bitched about having to earn his spot back and finally iirc faked an injury which basically forced Beane to cut him. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

45 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Yup. Got paid, then wasn’t any good, bitched about having to earn his spot back and finally iirc faked an injury which basically forced Beane to cut him. 

Yeah but he's single-handedly taking the Bengals to the SB.  So there's that...

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mango said:

A lot of people taking issue with Spain. 

These guys are hyper competitive. Of course he took it personally. Taking it personally is how a lot of these guys get better everyday. Spain has also proved this year that he is one of the best guards in the league. Being benched for somebody clearly less talented toes a fine line between motivating and a bad working environment.

The staff has also made a few mistakes with OL personnel. The Bills have gifted the AFCN with two of the better interior linemen in the league. The sky isn't falling. I don't want McBeane replaced. But it is a very worthy criticism. We have some holes, all teams do, but when you mess up OG twice in 2 years. It is 2 holes we still have to fill with other needs piling up. 

The reason we our line isn't more stable with Dawkins, Spain, Morse, Teller, Brown is firmly on the staff. 

Having to spend on Feliciano, Williams, Bates, draft Moss then Singletary back to back. 3 picks in the first and second round on DE, but also pay Addison and Butler. These things add up. 

Hoping Kromer can help steady some of that. 

Yes to Kromer.

But I don't think it's clear that "they" messed up OG. We don't know what happened. Could easily have been him who messed up. Who knows?

Things do add up. But we're far from understanding that Singletary then Moss was a mistake. We'll see. It could be, and it could be not. And I'm not sure, but spending so much on many OLs I think is going to be a pattern, something they do regularly to make sure they have a lot of depth just in case.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

So what?  Would it be be better to be a starter on an a not good O-line and watching from home for the past 2 weeks?

What does this thinking really provide? Spain is an ok player who had a hissy fit for getting benched after he played badly and had a bad attitude. He then forced himself off the team.

The Bills were right to not be ok with any of that. The fact that the Bengals are surprisingly playing in the Super bowl this year is irrelevant to what happened a couple of years ago.

Was Spain better off with his handful of wins last year in Cincinnati watching the Bills in the AFC Championship game? Neither of those scenarios are relevant.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Yeah but he's single-handedly taking the Bengals to the SB.  So there's that...

I guess that didn't work out for him last year.

I hold no ill will toward Spain. I liked his play in 2019 and was disappointed things didn’t work out in 2020.

That said, “felt like they were trying to ruin my career” is a bit harsh. They re-signed him on a pretty solid deal to provide for his family. Whether I like it or not, when a player isn’t playing up to par, McD tests guys by sitting them down (or sending them a message some other way) and seeing how they respond. The guys that fight for it and work through it tend to stick around. I’m not suggesting I’m in favor of that approach, but it’s what he does. Sounds like Spain took the benching poorly (fair), but didn’t want to fight back for it. Just shut it down. So they cut him free. 

Edited by TheProcess
  • Like (+1) 1

Didn't say anything too crazy and made some valid points but I've noticed that this is kind of his thing now. He goes after people on Twitter and makes all kinds of dramatic comments nowadays it seems. I wonder if he's trying to boost his personality for that next step, which isn't a bad idea considering he's a rather untalented, undrafted journeyman.

29 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

You want to be hated by TBD?  Just be forced to go to the bench and watch inferior people play in your place, then voice your displeasure.  You're immediately labeled as a malcontent and TBD goes to work tearing you down (see Flutie, Doug; Spain, Quinton; McKittrick, Isaac, etc.).

He was a malcontent. You think they wanted to cut a guy they just signed to a three year deal?

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

He was a malcontent. You think they wanted to cut a guy they just signed to a three year deal?

Which came first, the benching or the malcontent?  McD has a habit of benching players that get into his doghouse for any number of reasons.  He creates these situations.

Edited by Freddie's Dead
  • Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Agreed that he sounds like a whiner, but when you're a solid starter that gets benched for (undisclosed) reasons perhaps it's justified to whine about it. 

I'm curious what McBeane would say about the situation. Did they bench him because of his play? Attitude? Was he out of shape ? 

Definitely weird to give him a contract and then bench him. Strange thing to do at the time and I think it only looks worse in hindsight with the Bills O-line struggles and Spain being a reliable starter for Cincy. 

Bengals OL is trash.  I mean they have been sacking Burrow all postseason like his entire OL was made up of clones of Bobby Hart.

So I don’t think that he, or anyone on that OL, gets a “reliable” designation right now.  

And I don’t think it makes the front office look bad at all, quite the opposite.  They resigned him originally based on what he did PRIOR to resigning with certain expectations from him.  He wasn’t meeting those expectations and sounds like was also not happy having to compete to get back in favor and they decided to cut him rather than just stick with what was no longer working.  That’s the sign of a great front office, not worried about fan perception, and making the right choices for the team at all times.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

22 hours ago, Doc said:

I'm definitely rooting for the Rams.  I like Stafford and no way do I want to see the Bengals, much less Burrow, win a SB before the Bills and Josh.

I'm going to post my prediction in the other thread soon - but I'm starting to come around on the following conclusion.  If you want or think Rams, and I thought I would be rooting for them, now not sure....this is how i see it:

One team beat a QB that played so badly in round 1, I think it had a ripple affect on the whole team.  They really were terrible and the Cardinals limped into the playoffs with no Nuke.  Now Murray is doing the "unfollow team" act.  The Rams then almost choked away a big lead vs a Bucs team down Godwin and a still hurt Fournette, and no AB.  They were not going anywhere.  They then benefitted from Shanahan going full Shanahan with an extra helping of Jimmy G going full Jimmy G (and this was at home).  They easily could have lost to the 49ers. 

The other team beat the #1 and #2 seed in the AFC on the road.  I know - the Chiefs choked to.  But they still won.  You fully trust Matt Stafford to not choke?  

I'm still not 100% but I'm getting the Fan Duel bets ready.  And btw I couldn't care less if the Bengals won before the Bills.  Good.  Maybe they won't be as desperate and spend like crazy or be extra motivated going into 2022 bc they were so close.  

No reason to be insecure fans about our team anymore.  This is a new era.  We have the best QB in the game - at least top 2!  He is one of 3 guys in the league all fans stop and watch.  He's must see TV.  They are already putting us at the top as SB favorites next year.  I won't be salty - Steeler fans tho, oh yea.  They aren't going to know how to procees dealing with that team for the next 10 years in the division.  

I think a lot of people rooting Rams are going to switch mid game like the Russians did in Rocky IV and root for the battered fan base whose team has been drought era Bills bad but for almost 30 years.  I think I'm leaning them.  

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.