Quinton Spain comments on release from the Bills

Process

1 hour ago, TheFunPolice said:

Is it me or did it seem like Jalen Ramsey was falling down constantly and letting guys get wide open?

It's the same thing every time I watch him.

He's probably the most overrated player in the NFL

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Mark Long Beach said:

That's the problem with ALL offensive line though.  A screwup is highly visible and often catastrophic for the play.   Yes he got crushed, but to be fair, it was against the greatest defensive lineman if football.

I think it's pretty clear that Spain was emotionally unstable enough to be counted on, so we moved on from him.  I'm okay with that.   He's an NFL caliber guard, maybe a little below average.  But he's still better than Winters, Boettger or Ford. 

Over on the Bengals board they want to blow the OL up completely. All players can go except for Jonah Williams and… Spain (!) They seem to like him.

2 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I wonder if that’s why the Bills let Spain go? He can’t accept responsibility!!

There is definitely some smoke there. Even though he graded out well with the Titans, they had no interest in re-signing him. Goes to free agency, complete crickets and has to accept a very low offer from the Bills. Plays well, and gets an extension and they dump him like it’s nothing. Now the Bengals are probably going to look for an upgrade and I expect Spain to have a pretty cold UFA again as everyone is going to remember that last play against Donald.  

11 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I wonder if that’s why the Bills let Spain go? He can’t accept responsibility!!

I think it’s pretty clear at this point that Spain is/was not a process guy, which is odd, because the chip he carries on his shoulder (“Mr. Undrafted”) should make him the kind of guy who typically fits in well with the Bills’ culture.

But no, it turns out he’s just a “me first” dude who can’t look at himself in the mirror.

On 2/10/2022 at 12:45 PM, GunnerBill said:

I just think relying on the final 5 games and standing pat would be a mistake. They have to be aggressive in improving the line this offseason IMO. They did play better down the stretch, no question. But I don't think it is a big enough sample size to say "okay we are good here." The line cost us wins in 2021. That can't happen again. 

It was not entirely the talent but large number of linemen out for preventable medical issue.

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

There were lots of factors but saying "oh they played better at the end of the year, we don't need to be aggressive upgrading there" would be foolish. 

Beane seems to know it........he put protecting Josh at the top of his priority list to the media.

We the fans might be a lot higher on Bates than they are too.    Not that they won't give him the high tender but I think it's clear they saw him more as a center long term and if Morse doesn't retire I don't think it's a given that he and Williams get their jobs handed back to them.    

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.