Quinton Spain comments on release from the Bills

Process

I don't have a problem with Spain speaking on this subject because if anything it's another clear example of how this regime has grossly mismanaged their roster and been poor evaluators of talent.

And between the Spain situation and trading Wyatt Teller you really have to wonder what they are looking at in terms of offensive line evaluation. Throw in poor FA signings like Feliciano and other bad draft picks like Cody Ford and it's puzzling to say the least.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

18 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It's easy to look at how the offense produced at the end and think that the OL is looking good now..........but I agree this would be the smartest use of the money.

The OL struggles totally undermined the team in that 8 game stretch where they went 3-5.

Even if Morse doesn't retire they have little reliable depth inside...........I don't trust Williams to be any more prepared to start this season...........there is no guarantee that Bates will be able to maintain his level of play as a starter.    Job #1 is protect Josh Allen.

The Bills FA spending such as it will be should be a guard or (if one works) swinging a trade for a high end finisher off the edge. Just don't see one there that makes sense but if they can do it I'd be here for it.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

It provides a counter to busting on a guy on a suspect O-line, yet a player and a line that has helped get its team into the SB, as opposed to a suspect O-line watching another SB.

Bengals O-line:  51 sacks  49 hits  46 hurries

Bills O-line: 26 sacks 63 hits 96 hurries

Overall far more pressure on Josh behind it's O-line.

Josh being a mobile and quick athlete saves the O-line from proper trash labeling.

True Josh helps.  But what are the stats in the final 5 games, when the starting OL finally got set?

1 minute ago, Doc said:

True Josh helps.  But what are the stats in the final 5 games, when the starting OL finally got set?

I just think relying on the final 5 games and standing pat would be a mistake. They have to be aggressive in improving the line this offseason IMO. They did play better down the stretch, no question. But I don't think it is a big enough sample size to say "okay we are good here." The line cost us wins in 2021. That can't happen again. 

• Like (+1) 2

On ALL teams, you have unhappy players. Nothing new here. And indeed, if he clearly was better, the coaches would have played him instead. Sometimes though, you just don't see eye to eye with your coaches, or the role doesn't fit your skill sets. etc. and when you move you benefit. He sure did, and he's playing in the SB! But it doesn't mean McDermott was wrong. Just things that happen.

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

Against NE x2, Jets, Atlanta and KC.  Don't know the breakdown beyond sacks.  Josh was taking his lumps, he rushed for   64, 81, 63, 66, 68 yards those games--few were planned runs. In the 6 games prior to that, it was 24, 109, 39, 43, 18, and 3 yards rushing. 

It was obvious Josh was running from pressure all season.   More than Burrow, but he avoided the sacks (Burrow needs to learn to not to take so may).

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

It provides a counter to busting on a guy on a suspect O-line, yet a player and a line that has helped get its team into the SB, as opposed to a suspect O-line watching another SB.

Bengals O-line:  51 sacks  49 hits  46 hurries

Bills O-line: 26 sacks 63 hits 96 hurries

Overall far more pressure on Josh behind it's O-line.

Josh being a mobile and quick athlete saves the O-line from proper trash labeling.

Josh also puts pressure on the oline by holding onto the ball longer than most QB's, leading to more pressures and more hurries. It's a give and take.

5 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I agree that his comments about the Bills trying to ruin his career was pretty harsh.  Nothing wrong with competition 

I don't have a big problem with where he was coming from, his choice of words there were weird.  The Bills were not trying to ruin his career, they are trying to do what is best for the football team.   It shows some selfishness and lack of seeing the bigger picture. But his career is his business. 

He could have chose to put his head down, fight and earn that job back, he probably would have.   I know this year I thought multiple times, maybe he would be good to still have.  Not that he is great, but we had lots of problems at guard.   I think he would have more money had he stayed in Buffalo.

I'll say what I said when he was released.  Spain isnt in Buffalo any longer because he is a me first guy and not a team guy.   He pretended to be injured so he wouldnt have to fill in at guard after he was benched.    He conveniently failed to mention that in his interview.    He is an average player, who isnt worth the headache because he is emotionally immature and handles his business on twitter.  The guy is 13 year old stuck in a grown man's body.

His fragile feelings aren't going to feel any better when the Bengals draft a guard this year.    Have no use for him. none.     I fully expect the Rams D-Line to eat the Bengals O-Line alive on Sunday.  Spain should worry more about blocking Aaron Donald than talking about Buffalo.

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I'll say what I said when he was released.  Spain isnt in Buffalo any longer because he is a me first guy and not a team guy.   He pretended to be injured so he wouldnt have to fill in at guard after he was benched.    He conveniently failed to mention that in his interview.    He is an average player, who isnt worth the headache because he is emotionally immature and handles his business on twitter.  The guy is 13 year old stuck in a grown man's body.

His fragile feelings aren't going to feel any better when the Bengals draft a guard this year.    Have no use for him. none.     I fully expect the Rams D-Line to eat the Bengals O-Line alive on Sunday.  Spain should worry more about blocking Aaron Donald than talking about Buffalo.

Not that I disagree with you but we all love to know what's going on inside the team so I'm glad he spoke out, that I agree with him or not. At least we get a different POV.

46 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Spain is a lot like Jordan Phillips...........bite the hand that feeds you..........then treat the team that picks you up off the scrap heap like they are just the best!

Cardinals can save $4.3M on the cap by cutting Phillips this offseason............seems like an obvious cut...........this board will blow up if he becomes available and I don't have a problem bringing him back but the Bills basically gotta' let he and his agent get a "no" from 30 other teams first before taking him on dirt cheap.........or risk being the @ssholes in the same fashion that Spain turned on them the first time they bench or inactivate him. 

Edited by BADOLBILZ

56 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Against NE x2, Jets, Atlanta and KC.  Don't know the breakdown beyond sacks.  Josh was taking his lumps, he rushed for   64, 81, 63, 66, 68 yards those games--few were planned runs. In the 6 games prior to that, it was 24, 109, 39, 43, 18, and 3 yards rushing. 

It was obvious Josh was running from pressure all season.   More than Burrow, but he avoided the sacks (Burrow needs to learn to not to take so may).

Josh took far fewer sacks and hits in those 5 games than the previous 14 and learned to take fewer/serious hits while running this season.  I'll take pressures over hits/sacks.  But that's not to say they can't still improve the OL.

55 minutes ago, MJS said:

Josh also puts pressure on the oline by holding onto the ball longer than most QB's, leading to more pressures and more hurries. It's a give and take.

So does Burrow by holding the ball too long.  His problem is he doesn't have anywhere near Josh's mobility.  I expect them to invest heavily on the OL during the off-season.

19 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Spain is being a bit confusing.  I'm pretty sure Ford took his spot at LG, but they moved Ford over from RG and let the guy they brought in from the Jets, Winters, start.

He probably thinks it's justified, but it's one of those situations where a guy is arguably better off to keep his yap shut, because when you finger-point others 3 fingers pointing back at you.

The Bills OL is sitting on their sofas and he's starting in the Superbowl, 'nuff said.

He’s starting the Super Bowl, but not because of great OL play, lol. Burrow got sacked a million times in that Tennessee game. They are winning despite their OL, not because of it.

Spain is being a bit confusing.  I'm pretty sure Ford took his spot at LG, but they moved Ford over from RG and let the guy they brought in from the Jets, Winters, start.

He probably thinks it's justified, but it's one of those situations where a guy is arguably better off to keep his yap shut, because when you finger-point others 3 fingers pointing back at you.

The Bills OL is sitting on their sofas and he's starting in the Superbowl, 'nuff said.

He’s starting the Super Bowl, but not because of great OL play, lol. Burrow got sacked a million times in that Tennessee game. They are winning despite their OL, not because of it.

2 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

I don't have a problem with Spain speaking on this subject because if anything it's another clear example of how this regime has grossly mismanaged their roster and been poor evaluators of talent.

And between the Spain situation and trading Wyatt Teller you really have to wonder what they are looking at in terms of offensive line evaluation. Throw in poor FA signings like Feliciano and other bad draft picks like Cody Ford and it's puzzling to say the least.

your posts are so predictable

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

If he really did that he deserved to be cut imo.

And after listening to his whining interview, i am  glad he is gone.   I hope Aaron Donald has a great day.  

2 hours ago, MJS said:

They both have the same pocket time: 2.4 seconds.

57 minutes ago, Doc said:

Josh took far fewer sacks and hits in those 5 games than the previous 14 and learned to take fewer/serious hits while running this season.  I'll take pressures over hits/sacks.  But that's not to say they can't still improve the OL.

So does Burrow by holding the ball too long.  His problem is he doesn't have anywhere near Josh's mobility.  I expect them to invest heavily on the OL during the off-season.

The difference between the sack numbers is only because of Josh's mobility.  Put him behind the Bills and he's over 60 sacks easily, based on the disparity in pressures. 

Despite Burrow's sack numbers, he's the most accurate passer and is the best long ball thrower in the NFL this season.

36 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

your posts are so predictable

If he really did that he deserved to be cut imo.

And after listening to his whining interview, i am  glad he is gone.   I hope Aaron Donald has a great day.  

He 100% did it.    I cant remember the exact situation, but he got benched for Brian Winters after the second game of the season, either Winters or Ford was banged up the week or two after his benching, when he was asked to start he said he was injured.  No one could figure out how he got injured as he hadnt played in a few weeks.   Pretty quick after that he was off the team .

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I just think relying on the final 5 games and standing pat would be a mistake. They have to be aggressive in improving the line this offseason IMO. They did play better down the stretch, no question. But I don't think it is a big enough sample size to say "okay we are good here." The line cost us wins in 2021. That can't happen again. 

Not only this, but it has to be recognized that the improvement wasn’t entirely on the line.  In the last ~5 games Daboll started dialing up more called runs for Josh, and also returning to the gap/pin and pull blocking that worked in 2019.  We also ran a lot more (2,1) and (1,2) sets in several of those games but put away Tommy Sweeney for good in Week 15 and started using Doyle as a 6th blocker in lieu of a 2nd TE week 16-19 (Gilliam also saw more snaps)

I think most would agree, having Josh Allen function as our best RB is an undesireable long term strategy.

I live to become more educated here, but I don’t think Daboll and Bobby Johnson are fools, so there must be some functional advantage perceived to the zone run blocking we banged our heads against a wall trying unsuccessfully to execute through much of 2020 and 2021.  

Either way, we need to decide what kind of blocking we want to be able to execute, and commit to getting the right pieces in place on the OL and TE room.

I am hopeful Beane recognizes this.  He said something to the effect that the OL was a “ good starting point” in his postseason presser.

5 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Maybe that's why we now have a new OL coach. But don't let that hold up your crusade.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.