Bills in Germany next season?

YoloinOhio

On 2/9/2022 at 5:39 PM, coloradobillsfan said:

why do we keep trying to cram NFL football down European throats?  THEY DON'T CARE

There’s always the possibility of a new Covid Variant breaking out while the Pats or chiefs are in Germany and maybe they won’t be allowed to return home until they are sadly  forced to forfeit several games!  Gee , I would hate to even consider such a bad break for those fan bases considering they have had such limited exposure to joy and success in recent times!   They could be ambassadors helping the German people learn about how to develop a culture where character comes first to apply to their World Cup soccer team!   We can’t be selfish and just keep the secrets to greatness in the states!   😉😊😇.  The NFL; we care! 

37 minutes ago, DrPJax said:

There’s always the possibility of a new Covid Variant breaking out while the Pats or chiefs are in Germany and maybe they won’t be allowed to return home until they are sadly  forced to forfeit several games!  Gee , I would hate to even consider such a bad break for those fan bases considering they have had such limited exposure to joy and success in recent times!   They could be ambassadors helping the German people learn about how to develop a culture where character comes first to apply to their World Cup soccer team!   We can’t be selfish and just keep the secrets to greatness in the states!   😉😊😇.  The NFL; we care! 

You got to be kidding?  NFL would change the rule so the two teams over there would just play each other each week.

Look what they did for the sacred cow the Titans constantly moving schedule when their facility was considered infected with players saying they did not want to play there.  It reminded me of scene in Space Jam.   Game should have been moved to neutral location like Bills game was in snowstorm which would have stopped outdoor OR dome game.

11 minutes ago, T master said:

Good keep our team the Bills at home let them in Europe watch their football that they think is so great the NFL is a American game lets keep it in America !! 

That might be the greatest one sentence paragraph I've ever seen written. 

• Haha (+1) 7

10 hours ago, BritBill said:

That might be the greatest one sentence paragraph I've ever seen written. 

I heard on 1 Bills live that the NFL is planning 5 games next year in Europe 3 in Germany 1 in the UK & 1 in Mexico i will not be watching any of them even if it is the Bills & especially if it's a home game !! They got their football have it !! 

I had also heard something to the effect that there was talks of the NFL one day getting up to 40 teams man they are going to ruin a really good thing I would imagine that some of those teams were projected to be out of the country man i hope this doesn't happen !!

This league is the best of the best & if you start getting to many teams out there the play may have to suffer because i don't know that there are that many excellent players to go around . If they do have that many teams there will be so many games during 1 week it will saturate the fans & i feel drive them away I hope this is just a pipe dream ...

A surprising number of people love football in Germany. They have their own pro league, too. (Not talking about soccer.) The games will sell out instantly and by then the pandemic might not be a huge issue. 

You gotta be careful with those big beers. They taste better than Coors but they’re not over-the-top flavored like some Pumpkin Latte IPA type stuff. Easy to drink. But three of those equals 100 ounces.

• Like (+1) 1

Just some numbers about the UK position for the "Europe will never embrace the NFL" crowd.

- The NFL has the fastest growing TV viewership of any sport in the UK and was up 34% in the 2020 season (numbers for 2021 not yet available).

- Game Pass International subscriptions in the UK up 20% in the last year.

- Digital engagement (social media and UK visits to the NFL websites) up 54% in the last year. 

Is it ever going to be as popular in the UK as soccer, rugby or cricket? No it won't. But the NFL is having success in the market, there is no question about it. The one thing I would say is it is more of a London phenomenon more than a UK wide one. I do come across fans when I am elsewhere in the country but London is where the cut through has really happened (though that is not a bad thing as about 14% of our population live in the greater London area). The number of emails I have had this week from bars and clubs who are holding Superbowl events (which requires them applying for a special late license to do so, which costs money and therefore means they must be confident of filling up to make that back) is at a record high. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Rick 'r Mortis said:

Yea, this lines up with the NATIONAL Football League.

NBA and NHL don't quite live up to their name either.

8 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

They’ll send the Cowgirls ther e with the whole americas team thing.  

they’d never do the KC buff game there.  They want the KC drama.

Agree.  The networks are pry already fighting over that game and it won't be any earlier than a 4:15 game (10:30pm) Germany time.

Edited by Doc Brown

13 hours ago, T master said:

I heard on 1 Bills live that the NFL is planning 5 games next year in Europe 3 in Germany 1 in the UK & 1 in Mexico i will not be watching any of them even if it is the Bills & especially if it's a home game !! They got their football have it !! 

I had also heard something to the effect that there was talks of the NFL one day getting up to 40 teams man they are going to ruin a really good thing I would imagine that some of those teams were projected to be out of the country man i hope this doesn't happen !!

This league is the best of the best & if you start getting to many teams out there the play may have to suffer because i don't know that there are that many excellent players to go around . If they do have that many teams there will be so many games during 1 week it will saturate the fans & i feel drive them away I hope this is just a pipe dream ...

I have to change this it's 3 games in the UK & 1 In Munich Germany 1 In mexico .

• Like (+1) 1

I never worried about Europe embracing the NFL. I’m sure enough Europeans enjoy football to buy tickets for the occasional oversees game. I’m happy for them to see live NFL action. My concern is the money grab nature of it. It’s great for European fans, but completely ignores player safety, quality of play, and maintaining an equal playing field. Sending teams to Europe during the regular season while adding an extra week of play does nothing to increase quality of play. There will be a mass exodus of fans over the next several decades if they destroy the on field product with money grabs. Money is great, but the lust for more can also destroy a good thing.

Edited by SirAndrew

20 hours ago, T master said:

Maybe they should reduce the number of teams then, since there aren’t enough good QB’s for all the teams? A 16 team league maybe? Or no, 8 would probably be even better. Only the best of the best of the players. But no foreigners!!

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

I never worried about Europe embracing the NFL. I’m sure enough Europeans enjoy football to buy tickets for the occasional oversees game. I’m happy for them to see live NFL action. My concern is the money grab nature of it. It’s great for European fans, but completely ignores player safety, quality of play, and maintaining an equal playing field. Sending teams to Europe during the regular season while adding an extra week of play does nothing to increase quality of play. There will be a mass exodus of fans over the next several decades if they destroy the on field product with money grabs. Money is great, but the lust for more can also destroy a good thing.

My response to this would be there is no evidence that it risks player safety. Sure, the players would likely rather not have a trans atlantic flight but there is no actual evidence that it makes them more susceptible to injury. On the equal playing field.... I'd just say the NFL already wasn't that. Schedules are not close to equal year to year. The best 6 (now 7) teams don't always make the playoffs because you can get a team that makes it in on a powder puff schedule. Yes taking a home game away from some doesn't help but it doesn't break an otherwise perfect system either. 

On extending the season (and for that matter the playoffs) that is a different issue. The intertnational games are not the reason that the season was extended. 

15 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

My response to this would be there is no evidence that it risks player safety. Sure, the players would likely rather not have a trans atlantic flight but there is no actual evidence that it makes them more susceptible to injury. On the equal playing field.... I'd just say the NFL already wasn't that. Schedules are not close to equal year to year. The best 6 (now 7) teams don't always make the playoffs because you can get a team that makes it in on a powder puff schedule. Yes taking a home game away from some doesn't help but it doesn't break an otherwise perfect system either. 

On extending the season (and for that matter the playoffs) that is a different issue. The intertnational games are not the reason that the season was extended. 

You make valid points. There’s no way to prove these games hurt player health. I can’t make an argument on that either way. I just believe that travel must have a huge impact on teams. You’re correct in saying that league scheduling has never been equal, but asking a select group of teams to travel overseas seems like a disadvantage. I’m viewing this from a personal prospective. Travel can be tough on the body, especially when it involves major time zone changes. I’d assume there’s some recovery time involved that could impact the next game.

The NFL is unique in its short season, making rest, recovery, and staying on schedule more important. I wouldn’t make this argument for other major sports. Don’t be mistaken, I’m not even advocating for an end to these games, I’m just questioning where they’re going with this. The idea of an NFL team in Europe is a bit ambitious, if the league claims players matter. There are valid player related reasons not to put a team overseas. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.