2021 Bills ST coach Heath Farwell joins the Jags

Big Turk

1 minute ago, FilthyBeast said:

At some point you need fresh perspectives and it's almost like McDermott lives in his own little bubble and looking for mindless lackeys to do as their told.

There's a whole other world in the NFL landscape besides Orchard Park and the Carolina Panthers organization in terms of finding player and coaching talent.

What are you talking about? At some point when? I don't even know if you're serious or joking.

Put names out there if you're serious. Don't complain just to complain. Add some insight.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 2

Don't know if this was a firing, or if he left. He had nothing to do with the 13 second defense, and if the kickoff call somehow got mixed-up, that wasn't an execution issue, as we've been told, but rather one of communication (lack thereof).

23 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

You really feel this way? If anything I think he favors special teams too much with some of his roster decisions (both 53 and game day). If you mean from a coaching perspective, hard to disagree. Some of the ST coaches haven’t been of the highest pedigree. 

I’m not super optimistic about their communication issues being fixed with first-time coordinators at OC and ST.  Could they work out?  Sure.

7 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I’m not super optimistic about their communication issues being fixed with first-time coordinators at OC and ST.  Could they work out?  Sure.

It should be addressed by McD.  He might have assumed Farwell knew enough to tell Bass.

51 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Congrats Matt.  Please use the "Doctor's Creed" in your ST coaching.

"First do no harm".  I mean this not only from the squib kick controversy.

I have always believed in solid, safe, ST play trumps trying to have big plays on STs.

There is way too much turnover of players on ST so teach them to be smart first.

One thing is likely - before every kickoff Matt Smiley will make damn sure that the kicker knows where to kick the ball

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

When everyone Immediately went silent the next day I figured no one is going to be "outed". On a kickoff that critical,  Sean should've done what Belichick would do. Gather your entire ST including Bass at the sidelines and tell them yourself exactly what you wanted. Not rely on someone screwing up a communication to Farwell. And yes McD should've told Frazier exactly what coverage he wanted.  

I honestly believe McD will be more involved going forward.  He'll do what Belichick does as you mentioned.  He'll become the absolute focal point inside 2 minutes of halftime and end of game.

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I mean why wouldn't the BIlls call timeout in that situation then to make sure they were on the same page??  Unless they cannot call a TO before the kickoff

I don’t know the rules around timeouts and kickoffs, but if McD thought they had the communication worked out in advance, he would have no reason to believe he needed to call one

3 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

At some point you need fresh perspectives and it's almost like McDermott lives in his own little bubble and looking for mindless lackeys to do as their told.

There's a whole other world in the NFL landscape besides Orchard Park and the Carolina Panthers organization in terms of finding player and coaching talent.

Exactly! We already passed over this guy once when we hired Farwell, what makes him such a good candidate now?

5 hours ago, Process said:

Was his contract up or did they fire him?

My guess is the latter, but that he was told to "explore your other options"

That's how Andy Reid fired McDermott - he told him he was going to be "relieved of his duties" but they kept it quiet while  McD got the job with the Panthers

3 hours ago, par73 said:

Don't know if this was a firing, or if he left. He had nothing to do with the 13 second defense, and if the kickoff call somehow got mixed-up, that wasn't an execution issue, as we've been told, but rather one of communication (lack thereof).

I think McDermott would consider communication part of "execution", it's just a little bit scummy to leave it there as many people interpret "execution" as pointing at the players

4 hours ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

Here's proof that the speculation regarding Bass not getting the squib memo was likely true. 

That proof has existed since Cover1 created the youtube all-22 Film review a day or 2 after the game and pointed out the kick coverage players reaction as the ball sailed over their heads and into the endzone.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.