Vikings Oline coach Phil Rauscher (Twitter speculation)

BillsMafi$

35 minutes ago, BrooklynBills said:

I think you can get way more options for RPOs if you are building it off wide zones.

RPO's shouldn't be high on the agenda, IMO.   Time to graduate.   About the only thing Allen did wrong in the Chiefs game were some RPO decisions.   

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Southern_Bills said:

I would take it, Minnesota has a immobile QB that stays relatively clean and a good running game.

I think we have the talent and lack a good blocking scheme. 

We were one of the top offenses ever in the post season in the NFL....

C'mon, we were doing everything great there for awhile....until.... 😪

The idea is to peak in the postseason and we did that

and THAT is trickier than it sounds....

1 hour ago, billybrew1 said:

We were one of the top offenses ever in the post season in the NFL....

C'mon, we were doing everything great there for awhile....until.... 😪

The idea is to peak in the postseason and we did that

and THAT is trickier than it sounds....

End of the season, yes they got it together.

But the post season was all about #17. Motor wasn't killing it, as a matter of fact the few 3rd downs they took it out of #17s hands directly correlate with our downfalls against the chiefs.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Not really a fan of McDermott putting his finger prints on the offense… still strikes me as still needing a lot to learn in that department.

He’s probably smart enough to know that our offense, and team really, are at its best when the ball is in Allen’s hands. 

McD wants to be able to run but I don’t think he wants to be a running team. A lot of times, our only way to effectively run the ball was with Allen and I don’t think McD wants to rely on that again. 

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills are doing some impressive things in the area of coaching. The addition of a 36 year old O-line coach who is a proponent of the Callahan and old Denver Bronco school of blocking schemes, bodes well for our new OC and an improved running attack to go with Josh's dynamic skill set. Let's plug in some quality inside O-lineman and another between the tackles RB and we'll be extremely hard to defend. 

15 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Joe Bugel, Alex Gibbs, Bob McKittrick, Mouse McNally... Legendary O-line coaches for 200, Alex...

Could it be a simple matter of the Bills having more O-line talent?

6 degrees of Panthers Nation

Minnesota had a lot of young guys on their line.  I think 4 guys on rookie deals?  Lot of investment there, but from a pass pro standpoint nothing seems to stick out.  

In the last 4 years they have used 2 1sts, 2 2nds, and a 3rd.  

• Like (+1) 1

I don’t know a ton about this guy, but the fact that he worked under Bill Callahan is a huge positive. And those young Vikings linemen seem to sing his praises. In that case I am good with it. I just hope they checking in with Munchak, Cable. 

Not sure I love the idea of going more to a stretch zone type deal, unless you add speed like Raheem Mostert and Jerick McKinnon. 

• Like (+1) 2

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-sports/what-changes-are-coming-to-the-vikings-offensive-line

Any new head coach may want to make their own choice around an offensive line coach, but Brian O’Neill gave a rousing endorsement for Phil Rauscher to return after Rauscher replaced Rick Dennison following Dennison’s refusal to get vaccinated.

“I’ll play football for Phil Rauscher any day, anywhere, anytime, anyplace,” O’Neill said after the season. “I respect him as a coach. I respect him as a man in what he was able to do in the situation with the fall, with Rick Dennison and how Phil was able to come in and do an unbelievable job with our group. I’m proud of the way he coached us and proud of how he grew throughout the year. He grew with us, and we grew with him. We went through the growing pains together, and I think we’re better now than at the beginning when he first got here. I think he’s going to be an O-line coach in the NFL for a long time, and I’d love to have him coach me and our guys because I know our guys in our room feel the same way.”

If Rauscher is the next Bills OL coach, here is presser when he was elevated to the Vikings OL coach job last year. [You need to click through to YT]

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/sports/bills/bills-still-interviewing-offensive-line-coaching-candidates?utm_campaign=sharebutton&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_term=WGRAM

Despite a report from ESPN on Thursday stating the Buffalo Bills are expected to hire Minnesota Vikings offensive line coach Phil Rauscher as their new offensive line coach, a league source has confirmed to WGR that no decision has been made yet. Although Rauscher is a candidate and has had an interview, there are still others in the mix for the position.

The others reported in this article are 60 yr old George Warhop, last coached for the Jaguars, and Bills Assistant OL coach Ryan Wendell.

Another interesting point made is:

The Bills are looking to replace Bobby Johnson, who has reportedly left to join Brian Daboll's new staff with the New York Giants. Neither the Giants nor Bills have confirmed that Johnson has joined the Giants.

In truth, I'm uninspired by any of these choices.

Edit: OK after watching the video linked in @Jim Bob's post, I feel a bit better about Rauscher. 

• Like (+1) 1

When I was able to watch the Viking this year there offensive line when they got going just looked like a unit that could not be stopped in the running game  and Cousin was hardly ever touched were the Vikings struggled was on Defense where they hardly ran the trade mark of Mike Zimmer, the cover zero and looked a lot like Frazier’s defense where they ran a-lot of zone.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Not really a fan of McDermott putting his finger prints on the offense… still strikes me as still needing a lot to learn in that department.

Like it or not... he's the captain of this ship, and he can sail it as he pleases.

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I don’t know a ton about this guy, but the fact that he worked under Bill Callahan is a huge positive. And those young Vikings linemen seem to sing his praises. In that case I am good with it. I just hope they checking in with Munchak, Cable. 

Not sure I love the idea of going more to a stretch zone type deal, unless you add speed like Raheem Mostert and Jerick McKinnon. 

You're the fella I have tagged in my memory as the oline guy. I do hope they make a run at a Munchak or Cable if possible before going with a young guy. Plenty of youth already with the coaches on that side of the ball.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.