Cap Confusion?

NakedSquid

3 hours ago, NakedSquid said:

I just looked at the list of expiring contracts and there's more than $30 million in expiring contracts, but all reports say that we're up against the cap for next year is that because next year's contracts are being boosted by that much?  I know Allen is going up a bunch... Can anyone explain.  Thanks 

https://billswire.usatoday.com/lists/2022-free-agency-buffalo-bills-jerry-hughes-harrison-phillips/

It is very confusing, but I think I’ve found the major points.

1) there’s two main sites to use. Spotrac, and Overthecap. If you look at their numbers Spotrac has us ~$1.3M over the cap. Overthecap has us about ~$4.3M over the cap. The difference seems to be in the fact that Overthecap has some money allocated towards our draft picks, Spotrac does not. 

2) they have us over the cap, but 14-16 of those players won’t be on the 53-man roster, and they’re bottom level players, with very little (under 50K) to no guaranteed money, who will either be cut or placed on the practice squad and won’t count toward the cap. Those players account for roughly $10.6M of cap space. So while we’re -$1.3M in cap space according to Spotrac, when their articles discuss our off-season, they talk about how we have roughly $9.5M in “effective cap space”. 

5 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

The new rule is the 5th year option is fully guaranteed.  But that guarantee moves if traded.

I don't want to trade him tbh - the replacement options are going to be worse.  If you draft someone I'd still want edmunds around most likely.  

1 minute ago, Southern_Bills said:

Star, Morse, and Beasley are probably on a shirt list to restructure or hit the road.

Star has little savings (only about 1.5M).  I'm not sure thats enough to sign the replacement unless its in the draft - in which case removing him is getting your pick playing time.  Not sure where they stand on Phillips but I think they'd like to bring him back. 

8 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I don't want to trade him tbh - the replacement options are going to be worse.  If you draft someone I'd still want edmunds around most likely.  

I'm not one wanting to trade him either.  I was just giving the new rules on 5th year option players.

1 hour ago, dneveu said:

There's work but its not that hard to me.  You can add a void year to beasley and star's deals to lower the cap charges.  Milanos 7.5M base salary can be pushed.  Same with Morse's 6.9M (could extend or tack on a void year), and Dawkins 8.1.  Diggs is probably nearing an extension - added years means lowering the 12.5 base salary he has.  Mongo, Matakevich, Klein cuts would get them under.  Williams or Morse could also be released for significant savings.  

Edmunds extension would considerably lower the cap charge, but I'm reluctant to pay him what he probably wants.  I'd look in early rounds for a suitable replacement and develop them in the year with the expectation that edmunds walks in 2023.  

I agree with that general strategy.  Making the space we need is certainly doable without drastic measures.  They’ll cut ties with a few players and restructure others.  I’ve detailed what iI would do in other threads.  No time to look that up now.  I have to go snow blow the driveway. 

26 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I'm not one wanting to trade him either.  I was just giving the new rules on 5th year option players.

Always trade-offs.  Between Hyde, Poyer, Tre, and Milano we got a lot of quality and experience in that back 7 and a lot of money tied up there.   In a perfect world, I’d trade Edmunds for a 2nd rounder and draft his replacement in 1st 2 rounds.  Then use that $12.7m towards a premier edge rusher.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Always trade-offs.  Between Hyde, Poyer, Tre, and Milano we got a lot of quality and experience in that back 7 and a lot of money tied up there.   In a perfect world, I’d trade Edmunds for a 2nd rounder and draft his replacement in 1st 2 rounds.  Then use that $12.7m towards a premier edge rusher.  

If Beane and McDermott trade him I guess I would be shocked.  I do see you point though.

13 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

If he retires, aren't we stuck with the same deap cap as if he was cut? 

No.  His previous signing bonus and guaranteed salary could be reclaimed.

What could happen (and has happened) is a player on the "retirement" fence comes to an agreement with the team.

The result is the player keeps some of the bonus/guaranteed money and the team recaptures the rest.

6 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

If Beane and McDermott trade him I guess I would be shocked.  I do see you point though.

No.  His previous signing bonus and guaranteed salary could be reclaimed.

What could happen (and has happened) is a player on the "retirement" fence comes to an agreement with the team.

The result is the player keeps some of the bonus/guaranteed money and the team recaptures the rest.

Makes sense, I hope Star decides to hang em up. OR he gets back to when he was pretty good. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, dneveu said:

Star has little savings (only about 1.5M).  I'm not sure thats enough to sign the replacement unless its in the draft - in which case removing him is getting your pick playing time.  Not sure where they stand on Phillips but I think they'd like to bring him back. 

I just figure with the production he is giving and the week to week game of is he available they may move on regardless. 

9 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Big problem this year, two years of pandemic cap.  We dont have much rollover money $2 millionish, and the cap this year is low 208.2 given the current player salaries.   Going to have to move on from guys like Feliciano, Beasley, and Starr- and then you have a major decision to make with Levi Wallace as his market value should be a little north of $8 million a year.  

Management really needs to decide if they are going to stick to their mantra of rewarding players already in the building with contracts for hard work and good play.  Wallace, and Phillips have really earned extensions, but that's probably around $14 million for two guys who are are just good players, not world beaters.   Truth is you need guys like that, but it could come at the cost of spending money on a really nice pass rusher like Chandler Jones.  

But if you don't pay them, you still need to fill those spots, and can you fill them adequately for less ?

7 hours ago, Southern_Bills said:

Star, Morse, and Beasley are probably on a shirt list to restructure or hit the road.

Another post about Morse going away. I don't  understand the thinking here. Coming off a great year, not a bad contract for the team and in the prime of his career.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, NakedSquid said:

I just looked at the list of expiring contracts and there's more than $30 million in expiring contracts, but all reports say that we're up against the cap for next year is that because next year's contracts are being boosted by that much?  I know Allen is going up a bunch... Can anyone explain.  Thanks 

https://billswire.usatoday.com/lists/2022-free-agency-buffalo-bills-jerry-hughes-harrison-phillips/

The last thing anyone other than the actual team should be owrried about is the cap... that is b.c not one person knows a damn thing about it. That is why you see so many stupid articles saying so many different things.

14 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I could see D. Williams restructure.

Mongo, Star, Klein, and Beasley face a ‘restructure or release’ scenario. 

I know the team is only around 9 million right now, but they can open it up to ~25 if need be. 

I think he was being sarcastic…?

Morse -  Has minimal dead cap and a big salary.  I can see him as a cap casualty.  

Star and Ford - Cutting them doesn't help on any big savings as their cap hit is very expensive. 

Our two safeties are going to make about $21M together with a total of $8M in cap hit.  Either one could be a casualty.

Looks like we are also on the hook to pay a lot of money for 

* Ed Oliver -  by picking his 5th year option

* Gabe Davis and Knox....If you want them for the long term core of your offense you will have re-sign them.   The same goes for Diggs.   The Bills are going to be in a very difficult situation to sign the above three together....

• Eyeroll 1

8 hours ago, klos63 said:

But if you don't pay them, you still need to fill those spots, and can you fill them adequately for less ?

Another post about Morse going away. I don't  understand the thinking here. Coming off a great year, not a bad contract for the team and in the prime of his career.

Agree.  I think you pay both.    Just trying to convey how fast cap money goes away when you clear it by cutting other players.  

On the Morse thing, I agree.  Guy played his butt off this year.

8 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

wait even of we trade him we still have that as dead cap.  wtf. that’s a terrible rule.  

No.  If Edmunds is traded, his contract goes with him.  There would be zero cap hit (dead money) to the Bills.  As his salary is all fully guaranteed, if we were to cut him, then we still would have to pay him his whole salary, which would count against the cap.  Realistically he’s here for the 2022 season.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, ganesh said:

Morse -  Has minimal dead cap and a big salary.  I can see him as a cap casualty.  

Star and Ford - Cutting them doesn't help on any big savings as their cap hit is very expensive. 

Our two safeties are going to make about $21M together with a total of $8M in cap hit.  Either one could be a casualty.

Looks like we are also on the hook to pay a lot of money for 

* Ed Oliver -  by picking his 5th year option

* Gabe Davis and Knox....If you want them for the long term core of your offense you will have re-sign them.   The same goes for Diggs.   The Bills are going to be in a very difficult situation to sign the above three together....

Who would be our starting center?

• Thank you (+1) 1

With all the UFA off the book somehow they are still over the cap

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/buffalo-bills/

They need to keep Levi Wallace but his market value is $9.6M

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/levi-wallace-25587/market-value/

Harrison Phillips  market value of $5.4M

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/harrison-phillips-25195/market-value/

Beane will have to work his magic and have a good draft

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ALF said:

With all the UFA off the book somehow they are still over the cap

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/buffalo-bills/

They need to keep Levi Wallace but his market value is $9.6M

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/levi-wallace-25587/market-value/

Harrison Phillips  market value of $5.4M

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/harrison-phillips-25195/market-value/

Beane will have to work his magic and have a good draft

Don't worry about the cap, it's not an issue b.c not one person actually understands it.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Cap numbers meaning nothing you can release and restructure like crazy heck the Cowboys are 20 million over the cap and are talking about keeping Amari Cooper and extending Randy Gregory 

Packers are almost $50M over and need to keep Adams and figure out Rodgers contract

• Shocked 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.