Bengals Best Decision This Year - After Drafting Chase - Was to Tank Last Game of Season

st pete gogolak

I thought it was odd when Bengals announced Burrow would sit out last game of season against Browns.  Third seed was on the line and chance for additional home game(s) down the road.  I guess they knew what the were doing.  Raiders, Titans and Chiefs after epic battle with Bills so much better than Pats and Chiefs.  Well played.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I agree!

I also thought (watching that browns/bengals game) it showed incredible forward thinking in that player health TRUMPS game location.

By sacrificing the 2nd/3rd Seed…and sitting players…they were effectively saying.

”home field is a myth.  We don’t care who we play or where, as long as we have or guys healthy.”

Wonderful combination of Brains/Balls.

5 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

I thought it was odd when Bengals announced Burrow would sit out last game of season against Browns.  Third seed was on the line and chance for additional home game(s) down the road.  I guess they knew what the were doing.  Raiders, Titans and Chiefs after epic battle with Bills so much better than Pats and Chiefs.  Well played.

I mean they could’ve had our spot and theoretically only seen one of the titans/chiefs lol I don’t think they sat guys to lose that game on purpose at all.  They were just really banged up going into it and mixon was on the Covid list. Also full credit to the bengals for beating the chiefs…I don’t think it had anything to do with us the way that game played out.  They won it with halftime adjustments after the chiefs did whatever they wanted in the first half 

2 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I mean they could’ve had our spot and theoretically only seen one of the titans/chiefs lol I don’t think they sat guys to lose that game on purpose at all.  They were just really banged up going into it and mixon was on the Covid list. Also full credit to the bengals for beating the chiefs…I don’t think it had anything to do with us the way that game played out.  They won it with halftime adjustments after the chiefs did whatever they wanted in the first half 

I agree with all of that but I still think it was a quirky outcome where being seeded #4 was preferable to being seeded #3.  

5 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

I think you are way overthinking things about Cincinnati.  What the Bengals have is a better defense then the Bills.  And an amazing young kicker.  Burrow is good.  But Josh Allen is at another level. The Bengals have a pass rush and LB's and DB's that can stick to receivers, make plays on the ball, and hit people.  The Chiefs receivers and Mahomes could get nothing going against Cinci in the second half.  The Bengals play physical defense as do the Rams and 49ers.  (Although Jimmy G is pretty bad.)  The Bills don't play that way on defense.  And I believe it cost us a Super Bowl championship this year.  No way Cincinnati was stopping Josh Allen yesterday at the Ralph.  And neither were the Rams or 49ers defenses.  

The loss by the Bills against Kansas City last week was an epic failure by the coaching staff.  Someone should have been fired for allowing Kansas City to drive down the field in 13 seconds to kick the game tying FG.  And then go thru us like a hot knife thru butter in OT.  I am still disgusted by the collapse of our defense.  Where is the accountability in the organization if noone's head is on the chopping block?  Do the Pegula's and McDermott really believe that what happened is OK?  

4 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

I think you are way overthinking things about Cincinnati.  What the Bengals have is a better defense then the Bills.  And an amazing young kicker.  Burrow is good.  But Josh Allen is at another level. The Bengals have a pass rush and LB's and DB's that can stick to receivers, make plays on the ball, and hit people.  The Chiefs receivers and Mahomes could get nothing going against Cinci in the second half.  The Bengals play physical defense as do the Rams and 49ers.  (Although Jimmy G is pretty bad.)  The Bills don't play that way on defense.  And I believe it cost us a Super Bowl championship this year.  No way Cincinnati was stopping Josh Allen yesterday at the Ralph.  And neither were the Rams or 49ers defenses.  

The loss by the Bills against Kansas City last week was an epic failure by the coaching staff.  Someone should have been fired for allowing Kansas City to drive down the field in 13 seconds to kick the game tying FG.  And then go thru us like a hot knife thru butter in OT.  I am still disgusted by the collapse of our defense.  Where is the accountability in the organization if noone's head is on the chopping block?  Do the Pegula's and McDermott really believe that what happened is OK?  

It's pretty rash to fire staff for one sequence.

Should KC be firing people after blowing 21-3?  San Fran blew their lead to.  And last week, every losing team made a big mistake.

Edited by Success
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

I agree!

I also thought (watching that browns/bengals game) it showed incredible forward thinking in that player health TRUMPS game location.

By sacrificing the 2nd/3rd Seed…and sitting players…they were effectively saying.

”home field is a myth.  We don’t care who we play or where, as long as we have or guys healthy.”

Wonderful combination of Brains/Balls.

This is a 20-20 hindsight award.

If the Bengals sat their starters in the final game and came out stale vs. the Titans and lost, we'd be hearing about how it's stupid to rest starters.

The Bengals looked pretty rusty in the first half where they only managed 3 points until just before the half.

If Mahomes hadn't had a meltdown and thrown 2 picks not to mention a fumble that cost them 17 yds down at the Cincy 5, we'd be hearing about how their players were stale from the week off and Belichick never rested his starters.

The Bills rested starters in the final week before Houston, and lost.

The Bills didn't rest starters until the game was out of hand vs. Miami, won 2 playoff games, and went to the AFCCG.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

1. The Bengals had already won the division at that point. If the Bills had lost and the Pats won in Miami, the Pats would won the division.
  2. Joe Burrow was limping around at the end of that week 17 game against the Chiefs. Playing him in a meaningless game was have been reckless.
  3. What the Bengals were trying to avoid was not the Pats, but rather the Colts. If week 18 had gone according to plan, the Colts would have been the 6 seed and played the 3 seed on the road. 
  • Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

I agree with all of that but I still think it was a quirky outcome where being seeded #4 was preferable to being seeded #3.  

Playing the 1 and 2 seed on the road doesn’t seem great to me haha but it’s tough to say.  If all went down exactly the same and they were us they would’ve only seen 1 of kc/ten.  I think the bengals deserve a lot of credit on the defensive side for making tannehill and mahomes look bad in back to back weeks.  Not sure that we or anyone else would’ve gotten through ten…we’ll never know. 

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is a 20-20 hindsight award.

If the Bengals sat their starters in the final game and came out stale vs. the Titans and lost, we'd be hearing about how it's stupid to rest starters.

The Bengals looked pretty rusty in the first half where they only managed 3 points until just before the half.

If Mahomes hadn't had a meltdown and thrown 2 picks not to mention a fumble that cost them 17 yds down at the Cincy 5, we'd be hearing about how their players were stale from the week off and Belichick never rested his starters.

The Bills rested starters in the final week before Houston, and lost.

The Bills didn't rest starters until the game was out of hand vs. Miami, won 2 playoff games, and went to the AFCCG.

you might have heard that…but not from me and many others.

It shouldn’t be lost…that Burrow injured his knee on the final play of the game against the Chiefs in week 17.

So…the Bengals could have rushed Burrow into the game with the idea that they had to have the 2nd or 3rd Seed.

Many teams (and certain fan bases) would have felt it was necessary to have as many Home Playoff Games as possible.

The genesis of the decision to value health over location will always be the right decision.  Just like even if failing to convert a 4th down.  It was still the right call to go for it on 4th down.

If the Bills win in KC I suspect the Bills defeat Burrow and Cinci in Buffalo..........Allen was just too on fire..........Mahomes and Burrow didn't play up to his level yesterday...........it worked out for Cinci but also could have blown up on them if the Bills took care of business.

But the Bills didn't really have a choice in the matter regarding playing to win in the finale...........they were playing for the division and a home game.............Bills didn't earn the right to choose who they played.

Next year it's #1 seed or bust.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.