KC Sports radio - loss is on Mahomes but it took Bills and Bengals to take the Chiefs out of the SB

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

The beer or the board?

ok twist my arm. Coffee for now but I’m in.

I don't often do it but I had to take a look. I have to admit, it was pretty therapeutic.

8 minutes ago, Rubes said:

I don't often do it but I had to take a look. I have to admit, it was pretty therapeutic.

I didn’t think I could feel worse than I did this past week, but if the Bills had won that game in epic fashion for the right to host the AFCCG, gone out to a 21-3 lead at the half with the whole stadium thinking we are on our way to the SB… and then collapsing in front of the home crowd? Mostly due to the QB imploding? Infinitely worse feeling than losing in OT on the road in spite of a pretty flawless performance from the QB. At least they have their SB trophy from 3 years ago to fall back on. But they seem to not care about that anymore. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Bleedbuffaloblue said:

To me Reid is as much to blame as anyone. He got greedy at the end of the half. You take the FG with that little time left and no timeouts. You head to the locker room up 24-3 and get the ball to start the second half. Everything staying the same  in the second half that FG they kicked at the end of regulation would have been for the win not for overtime.

Yep.

Adhere to the old axiom, playoff points are precious, take them when you can, ridiculous to go for a TD at that point.  What where they doing, try to prove a point how great they are?

They had just played this team a few weeks ago and the bengals came back from 14 down 3 separate times. The chiefs only scored 3 points in the 2nd half in that game too. Amazing that they collapsed the way they did in the 2nd half having already just going through that with the same team while staring at the possibility of going to 3 straight SB. The QB clearly wasn’t the same guy in the 2nd half but Andy Reid also had a history of choking with big leads.  I feel like they were too arrogant about who they were after beating the Bills the way they did and looking so good in the 1st half vs cincy. 

Reid got outcoached by Zac effing Taylor. 

Reid got outcoached by Reid...He has a tendency to over value his offensive creativity...against he Bills,  3rd and 1 he takes ball out of Mahomes hand and runs some wildcat option play...ends up with field goal and the Bills are have life.

5 minutes ago, ControllerOfPlanetX said:

Reid got outcoached by Reid...He has a tendency to over value his offensive creativity...against he Bills,  3rd and 1 he takes ball out of Mahomes hand and runs some wildcat option play...ends up with field goal and the Bills are have life.

Again if McD & the Bills didn't screw up those 13 seconds, that would have been KC talk radio last Monday.

2 hours ago, dma0034 said:

The AFC is going to be so difficult to win going forward. With Mahomes, Allen, Burrows, Herbert and Jackson potentially being playoff opponents every year (that's not including the possibility of Rodgers coming to the AFC or Lawrence/Jones becoming good). It could potentially be a Slugfest. You could have an AFC playoff picture that has: Allen, Burrows, Herbert, Jackson, Rodgers, Mahomes and Carr in next year and you are going to have to beat 2 maybe 3 verd good/elite QBs to get into the SB.

Iron sharpens iron.

They had just played this team a few weeks ago and the bengals came back from 14 down 3 separate times. The chiefs only scored 3 points in the 2nd half in that game too. Amazing that they collapsed the way they did in the 2nd half having already just going through that with the same team while staring at the possibility of going to 3 straight SB. The QB clearly wasn’t the same guy in the 2nd half but Andy Reid also had a history of choking with big leads.  I feel like they were too arrogant about who they were after beating the Bills the way they did and looking so good in the 1st half vs cincy. 

Reid got outcoached by Zac effing Taylor. 

I think the first game against CIncy played the biggest role.  You're right, Cinci came back 3 time from a 2 TD deficit.  And they came back from a 17-0 halftime deficit to win.

I really believe they went for the TD because they were saying to themselves, "17-0 wasn't enough last time, we need to put the dagger in the heart right now".  And when it failed, the first seeds of doubt were planted in their heads.  The first series of the 2nd half looked like it increased that doubt.  It snowballed from there.

I don't know if that's overconfidence or disinterest, I see it as the opposite...lack of confidence and a fear of history repeating itself.  If anything, they might have been pushing too hard. Mahomes did all of that running in the backfield because he was looking to make the big play instead of taking the easier yards.  He does that often, obviously, but it really takes over when he thinks their back is up against the wall.  Its what he did earlier in the season, but it lessened as the season went on. 

It looked to me like the first Cinci game was in their heads from the end of the first half.

And I saw that same look in Warren Moon's eyes during the 2nd half of the comeback game.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, thunderingsquid said:

Another thing that was mentioned by a lot of podcasters but not a lot of the media was how the Bungles played him perfectly - rush three and use a spy.  

Mad props to the Cincy DC Lou Anaroumo.

Media knows the NFL gospel: you don’t criticize Pat Mahomes. You don’t suggest there is a “ formula “ to stop him. Josh would be getting skewered today if he played like that for an entire half. 

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, thunderingsquid said:

Another thing that was mentioned by a lot of podcasters but not a lot of the media was how the Bungles played him perfectly - rush three and use a spy.  

Mad props to the Cincy DC Lou Anaroumo.

I also think the Chiefs OL and DL looked worn down in the 2nd half. Their OL had been really good all year and all of a sudden allows 4 sacks with a 3 man rush and no Larry ogunjobi? The bengals OL is very bad all year and all of a sudden Chris Jones and Frank Clark can’t get to Burrow. I think they were on fumes or just didn’t want it enough. On a paper it’s a giant mismatch and looked that way in the 1st half. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Agree 3

I was listening to the main Austin sports talk radio this morning and they pinned the loss mostly on Mahommes. They said he looked completely confused and detached with his play. He was flipping the ball on several passes and the one led to the first INT. They did blame the coaching for mismanaging the final drive where the Chiefs ended up with the 1st and goal on the 5, yet were more concerned about eating up the clock rather than scoring because they felt that a TD was a forgone conclusion. The Bengals put up relentless pressure driving back Mahommes who seemingly couldn't understands that the Chiefs were not going to get an easy shovel pass type TD (makes you wonder what would have happened if we had put real pressure on Mahommes in those 13 seconds). 

I agree- the Chiefs got cocky and thought they had their ticket punched through to LA and a less talented but hungrier team did not lay down and let it happen. I don't think the Bills would have taken the Bengals for granted. 

• Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I didn’t think I could feel worse than I did this past week, but if the Bills had won that game in epic fashion for the right to host the AFCCG, gone out to a 21-3 lead at the half with the whole stadium thinking we are on our way to the SB… and then collapsing in front of the home crowd? Mostly due to the QB imploding? Infinitely worse feeling than losing in OT on the road in spite of a pretty flawless performance from the QB. At least they have their SB trophy from 3 years ago to fall back on. But they seem to not care about that anymore. 

Amen brother!  I think I’m about to watch my first YouTube videos covering the 13 seconds.  Almost assuredly fast forwarding through any negative talk and only listening to some deserved 17 c**k s*****g

2 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

Instead of specific reason, how about a general reason?  What's the record for teams following an OT win in the playoffs?  I forget exactly but it is horrendous, something like 1 - 11.  Generally, it's hard to win an OT game in the playoffs and come back next week to win.  Bengals v. Bills in AFCCG would have been anything but a cakewalk.  It would have been a dogfight.  On top of that, who's going to cover Chase?

IIRC, during the game yesterday the announcer said no team had ever won two OT games in the playoffs, back to back.  And the reason is probably what you said.

Chiefs reserve DT Khalen Sunders (who?) sent this Tweet about an hour after their game last night.

1. Don't ever try and tell me that players take the losses as hard as fans.

2. Could you imagine the backlash had someone like Zack Moss or Tommy Doyle sent this message last week and hour after the Bills/Chiefs tilt? He'd be run out of the state.

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

And won the OT coin toss.  Not that I am adding salt to any wounds.

The way the game ended made the crowd's roar upon winning the coin toss SO delicious.  They were convinced the game was over and they were headed to LA.

Best part is Nick Wright had to bring his kid on the show with him today because he couldn't handle the smoke.

One scenario I considered after the game last week is that the Chiefs beating the Bills was their SB, and in hindsight that very well may be the case because despite the fumes carrying over for a dominant 1st half against the Bengals they essentially ran out of gas on both sides of the ball in the 2nd half.

In reality though I think this was a matchup were coaching truly made a difference, in additional to the Bengals having real difference makers on the defensive side of the ball.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.