KC Sports radio - loss is on Mahomes but it took Bills and Bengals to take the Chiefs out of the SB

YoloinOhio

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Mahomes deserves most of the blame. 

The play where he nearly fumbles the game away at the end of regulation from the TV angle looks like a classic coverage sack. From the all 22 he has Kelce with leverage on his defender at the front of the endzone and for a completely inexplicable reason instead of throwing him the ball he does a stupid pirouette.   

The all22 of Mahomes 2nd half on Sunday is downright ugly and if Josh Allen played a half that bad in the playoffs we'd be getting told bad Josh had reappeared. 

This x 1000.  I haven't delved into the all-22, but it pissed me off that I didn't hear a word about Pat running backwards and taking bad sacks vs throwing it away and "that's one where he needs to settle down...just take an extra fraction of a second, get your mechanics right, and that's a completion".  I guess it's the old "let a man get a reputation for being punctual, and he can sleep until noon" and its reverse.

As for @Nihilarian, "Patrick Mahomes didn't give up the 21 points to the Bengals", well - he pretty much gave up 7.  He threw a pass that BJ Hill deflected and intercepted on 2nd and 3 at his own 32 yd line.  A more athletic defender takes that to the house for 6.  4 easy plays later, the Bengals score.

Mahomes had open receivers at the sideline on either side a yard short of the sticks.  Instead he chose to throw to a reasonably-well-covered Demarcus Robinson, right over the DLman who had no one positioned to hinder his pass-deflection efforts.  It was poor situational judgement.  It was 2nd down. If Mahomes throws to the sidelines, maybe those receivers make a move or put their shoulders down and get the 1st down. 

Maybe they  don't, but now it's 3rd and 1 and a new set of play calls comes into consideration.  Worst case they don't convert and the Bengals have to drive the length of the field instead of getting a gift-wrapped trip to the KC red zone.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This x 1000.  It actually pissed me off that I didn't hear a word about running backwards and taking bad sacks vs throwing it away and "that's one where he needs to settle down...just take an extra fraction of a second, get your mechanics right, and that's a completion"

As for @Nihilarian, "Patrick Mahomes didn't give up the 21 points to the Bengals", well - he pretty much gave up 7.  He threw a pass that BJ Hill deflected and intercepted on 2nd and 3 at his own 32 yd line.  A more athletic defender takes that to the house for 6.  4 easy plays later, the Bengals score.

And the final 3. I know the Bengals  ended up driving deep before kicking the FG but they were pretty much in range within two plays of Pat's OT pick. 

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This x 1000.  I haven't delved into the all-22, but it pissed me off that I didn't hear a word about Pat running backwards and taking bad sacks vs throwing it away and "that's one where he needs to settle down...just take an extra fraction of a second, get your mechanics right, and that's a completion".  I guess it's the old "let a man get a reputation for being punctual, and he can sleep until noon" and its reverse.

Mahomes had open receivers at the sideline on either side a yard short of the sticks.  Instead he chose to throw to a reasonably-well-covered Demarcus Robinson, right over the DLman who had no one positioned to hinder his pass-deflection efforts.  It was poor situational judgement.  It was 2nd down. If Mahomes throws to the sidelines, maybe those receivers make a move or put their shoulders down and get the 1st down. 

Maybe they  don't, but now it's 3rd and 1 and a new set of play calls comes into consideration.  Worst case they don't convert and the Bengals have to drive the length of the field instead of getting a gift-wrapped trip to the KC red zone.

It's the old double standard when people compare him to Allen.

I saw it in the regular season game. Josh overthrew a WR, and it was because he still had "consistency" issues. Mahomes did the same, and it was due to the weather.

If Allen had the kind of mistakes & poor judgment that Mahomes showed again & again this past Sunday, we'd be back to the Houston playoff game and "erratic Allen."  I get that Mahomes has a SB under his belt, but he gets a lot of leeway for what was essentially an epic choke, in a game that KC had put away.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Did Patrick Mahomes have a bad second half....YES! Did the Bengals DC put up a masterclass scheme on how to defeat Mahomes in that second half, YES! 

Mahomes, 4 sacks, no throwing lanes and the Bengals only pass rushing with three...Mahomes dropped back 24 times after halftime. He completed 8 of 18 passes for 55 yards with two interceptions, four sacks, and no touchdowns. 

All I was attempting to say in my earlier post was, as a head coach-OC, when you see that the QB (no matter how great he has been in the past) is having that much difficulty throwing...it sorta begs the offense to start running the ball more. Take the ball outta the QB's hands and let the RB's, defense control the game. Especially when they are only rushing with 3 defenders and dropping 8 into pass coverage. 

By running the ball more you also play keep away from the Bengals and eat up the clock! 

Oh, btw. That scheme that the Bengals used on Mahomes? You know where they got it from? From Bill Belichick, as he used it against Mahomes in that 2018 AFC Championship game. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It felt like the first time he's become self-aware of his legacy and felt real pressure.   Yips is definitely the way to describe it.   Maybe that stupid play at the end of the half triggered something mentally.

It's been a little disconcerting watching Mahomes come into the league and play like he carries no weight on his shoulders when it matters.

That Mahomes half looked like one of those old fashioned choke jobs that would inevitably plague Steve Young, Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, Brett Favre or Peyton Manning at some point........it really was a career-first for him.    

Will be interesting to see if Burrow has his moment in the SB............I can certainly imagine Stafford throwing away a SB...........he threw away that NFCCG but Tart dropped it. 

Remember this playoff game from Peyton Manning, where he barked out such a long stream of Rube Goldberg-machine nonsense before each play that it sounded like he had logorrhea? https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200301040nyj.htm. He was absolutely pathetic vs. Herman Edwards' Jets defense and just choked. 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Did Patrick Mahomes have a bad second half....YES! Did the Bengals DC put up a masterclass scheme on how to defeat Mahomes in that second half, YES! 

Mahomes, 4 sacks, no throwing lanes and the Bengals only pass rushing with three...Mahomes dropped back 24 times after halftime. He completed 8 of 18 passes for 55 yards with two interceptions, four sacks, and no touchdowns. 

All I was attempting to say in my earlier post was, as a head coach-OC, when you see that the QB (no matter how great he has been in the past) is having that much difficulty throwing...it sorta begs the offense to start running the ball more. Take the ball outta the QB's hands and let the RB's, defense control the game. Especially when they are only rushing with 3 defenders and dropping 8 into pass coverage. 

By running the ball more you also play keep away from the Bengals and eat up the clock! 

Oh, btw. That scheme that the Bengals used on Mahomes? You know where they got it from? From Bill Belichick, as he used it against Mahomes in that 2018 AFC Championship game.

Completely agree that when the QB is struggling, a change in the offensive plan is needed.  For example, what Daboll did after Josh threw his third INT against Atlanta.  Someone on our coaching staff - whether it was McDermott or Daboll - said "we better run!"

I don't think the defense is that dissimilar to what Frazier and McDermott did in our Week 5 meeting, actually.  I think they felt they didn't have the hosses to do same thing without Tre White.  New England on the other hand plays a lot of press "sticky" coverage.  In 2018, they had Bumpnrun Gilmore, plus younger, more effective versions of Chung and McCourty.

Yesterday Mahomes and Reid both publicly said that their expectations every year is to win the SB and anything less is a disappointment and not acceptable.

Therefore I love to see McDermott and Beane take this type of public position in the offseason so the accountability is truly there. Because if that's not the expectation for this organization at this point something is inherently wrong.

10 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Mahomes deserves most of the blame. 

The play where he nearly fumbles the game away at the end of regulation from the TV angle looks like a classic coverage sack. From the all 22 he has Kelce with leverage on his defender at the front of the endzone and for a completely inexplicable reason instead of throwing him the ball he does a stupid pirouette.   

The all22 of Mahomes 2nd half on Sunday is downright ugly and if Josh Allen played a half that bad in the playoffs we'd be getting told bad Josh had reappeared. 

One of the worst performances I've ever seen by a great player. It's as if the mafia had something on him and he was throwing the game. I know he didn't do that, but the number of horrible -- not bad; horrible -- plays by him was staggering. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Completely agree that when the QB is struggling, a change in the offensive plan is needed.  For example, what Daboll did after Josh threw his third INT against Atlanta.  Someone on our coaching staff - whether it was McDermott or Daboll - said "we better run!"

Or sometimes how Daboll would see Josh struggling and start calling some designed QB runs to settle him and the offense down.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think the defense is that dissimilar to what Frazier and McDermott did in our Week 5 meeting, actually.  I think they felt they didn't have the hosses to do same thing without Tre White.  New England on the other hand plays a lot of press "sticky" coverage.  In 2018, they had Bumpnrun Gilmore, plus younger, more effective versions of Chung and McCourty.

Why I've always emphasized the Bills to have a solid run game they can fall back on when the QB is having an off day. 

When does mahomes not do all those things? Lol seems like they’re trying to convince themselves it is a one time thing but I doubt it . He gets pressured and just has to run around until hill or Kelce are open.  He doesn’t ever really have to go through progressions or fit throws in tight windows because their whole offense is based on their skill position players just outrunning everybody. 

On 1/31/2022 at 10:30 AM, uninja said:

It really does seem that if the Chiefs drop back to pass and you only rush three, keep a spy/late rusher and drop 8 into coverage it makes Mahomes glitch and turn into Blake Bortles.

Yea the qb spy had a heck of a game…mahomes kept running backwards to buy himself time to turn the corner and it wasnt at all working.  He had plenty of time to throw but spent it running backwards for no reason.  Seems like he’s got happy feet and bails from clean pockets almost every time…we’ve just gotta do a better job spying him 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

On 1/31/2022 at 10:26 AM, st pete gogolak said:

Instead of specific reason, how about a general reason?  What's the record for teams following an OT win in the playoffs?  I forget exactly but it is horrendous, something like 1 - 11.  Generally, it's hard to win an OT game in the playoffs and come back next week to win.  Bengals v. Bills in AFCCG would have been anything but a cakewalk.  It would have been a dogfight.  On top of that, who's going to cover Chase?

I think we really missed Tre White In the KC game

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Bronxbomber21 said:

I think we really missed Tre White In the KC game

I was hoping subtracting tre but adding Milano would minimize the talent lost but we were really limited schematically by having to gameplan around starting two mediocre corners it seemed like

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

One of the worst performances I've ever seen by a great player. It's as if the mafia had something on him and he was throwing the game. I know he didn't do that, but the number of horrible -- not bad; horrible -- plays by him was staggering. 

So many situational mental mistakes too…like why are you diving out of bounds for an extra yard and preserving the bengals timeouts on that drive at the end of the 4th.

• Agree 1

On 1/31/2022 at 10:16 AM, YoloinOhio said:

The narrative they had is the team itself acted like they won the SB last week. They came out after the half thinking it was over, they were blowing out Cincy after beating the better team already last week, and their plans for LA were already in motion.

They almost looked arrogant to me before halftime. It felt like it was going to be a walk in the park and they took their foot off the gas. When the car stalled and they couldn't immediately start it back up, they panicked.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.