Brian Daboll hired to be Head Coach of NY Giants

Draconator

16 hours ago, thunderingsquid said:

You may want to finally join twitter.  

I don't think Dorsey to the NJG is anywhere near a done deal.  The Bills will have their say first.  Dorsey is in a great spot.  He can negotiate and interview with the Giants and satisfy his friendship with Daboll, and use it to leverage a sweet pay day from the Bills.  If all things are equal, do you go to the team that needs a lot of work for your first OC job, or do you build up resume points with a Championship caliber team with a superstar QB who really wants you to stay? Hmmmmm....

Edited by BuffaloBob
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BuffaloBob said:

I don't think Dorsey to the NJG is anywhere near a done deal.  The Bills will have their say first.  Dorsey is in a great spot.  He can negotiate and interview with the Giants and satisfy his friendship with Daboll, and use it to leverage a sweet pay day from the Bills.  If all things are equal, do you go to the team that needs a lot of work for your first OC job, or do you build up resume points with a Championship caliber team with a superstar QB who really wants you to stay? Hmmmmm....

I'm not convinced he's the best OC option for the Bills.

He's never done that before...I'd like more experience for a team that is this established at this point in time.

We should be picking from the cream of the league, not promoting a rookie from within.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBob said:

Depends on how much you think about the job you can do.

Allen is already a top echelon QB. Dorsey can play it safe or choose to roll the dice if he believes he can help turn the Giants around. If he believes he can be a large part of helping Jones become a viable QB and the Giants being a much better offense the payout is much higher that if he just jumps into an already highly functioning offense with an already superstar QB.

All risk vs reward. 

9 minutes ago, BuffaloBob said:

Totally agree....from Dorsey's standpoint the next rung on the career ultimate goal, I assume is to be a HC, moving to Buffalo OC is the smartest move.   Giants OC could end badly.

“Players don’t care how much you know,” Daboll said once, “until they know how much you care. I think that’s an important quality that I try to be better at every year.” 

True

https://nypost.com/2022/01/29/brian-daboll-must-help-daniel-jones-become-giants-franchise-qb/

The jury remains out on Jones following the neck injury that cost him the final six games of this past season. Judge’s offensive coordinator woes and the wretched state of the Giants’ offensive line both helped sabotage his career. The Giants — from John Mara to Schoen on down — love Jones’ dual-threat physical tools and intangibles, and they will hope and pray that Daboll will be able to unlock the promise Jones showed as a rookie under Pat Shurmur. 

Huh....The promise Jones showed as a rookie under Pat Shurmur.....and offensive coordinator Mike Shula

11 minutes ago, billsfan714 said:

Totally agree....from Dorsey's standpoint the next rung on the career ultimate goal, I assume is to be a HC, moving to Buffalo OC is the smartest move.   Giants OC could end badly.

I caught a tidbit of some talk on sports radio pointing out that on the one hand, if Dorsey takes over an already successful offense with an already established QB, the "bar" for him to show an impact and establish himself as a "QB whisperer" or a top OC in high demand as a HC is going to be pretty high.  He has to meet or exceed an already high standard.

On the other hand, if he goes to NYC and transforms Daniel Jones, it's going to be "All Hail the Chief"

Counterpoising that, if he goes to NYC, Daboll calls offensive plays, and he's seen as Daboll's underling, he's going to be in his shadow and may not be taken as seriously as a HC candidate.

Both jobs have arguments in their favor from the POV of taking a step in his career. 

Both tenures could end badly - if the Bills offense and Allen take a step back next year and Dorsey is the OC, he would most certainly be the "fall guy" (absent serious injuries) and could even go "one and done" like Dennison did. 

On the other hand if Jones continues to tank, Daboll is almost certain to get the green light to try again with a new QB and a couple years to develop him, so Dorsey would likely get 3 years.

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I caught a tidbit of some talk on sports radio pointing out that on the one hand, if Dorsey takes over an already successful offense with an already established QB, the "bar" for him to show an impact and establish himself as a "QB whisperer" or a top OC in high demand as a HC is going to be pretty high.  He has to meet or exceed an already high standard.

On the other hand, if he goes to NYC and transforms Daniel Jones, it's going to be "All Hail the Chief"

Counterpoising that, if he goes to NYC, Daboll calls offensive plays, and he's seen as Daboll's underling, he's going to be in his shadow and may not be taken as seriously as a HC candidate.

I like the discussion and those are great points and the dilemma for Dorsey.   I hope Dorsey is smart enough to see, Daniel Jones, supposed dual threat, doesnt have the physical tools to hold up.  Then again if they have another terrible season, they will be drafting near the top and he and Daboll can try and get their guy.    But the draft is a another crap shoot, just ask the Browns and the Jets.   

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Both jobs have arguments in their favor from the POV of taking a step in his career. 

Both tenures could end badly - if the Bills offense and Allen take a step back next year and Dorsey is the OC, he would most certainly be the "fall guy" (absent serious injuries) and could even go "one and done" like Dennison did. 

On the other hand if Jones continues to tank, Daboll is almost certain to get the green light to try again with a new QB and a couple years to develop him, so Dorsey would likely get 3 years.

An outside the box thought. Perhaps Daboll isn't planning on calling the plays. 

While it's commonplace for a new HC to hold onto playcalling duties, some forgo it to concentrate on running game management. Also, Daboll may not want to call plays from the sideline. If memory serves correct he attempted that early in his Buffalo career before heading upstairs. Possibly, he believes that is optimal for the playcaller and may lead to him offering a guy he knows, respect and trusts (Dorsey) a shot a calling the plays.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

While it's commonplace for a new HC to hold onto playcalling duties, some forgo it to concentrate on running game management. Also, Daboll may not want to call plays from the sideline. If memory serves correct he attempted that early in his Buffalo career before heading upstairs. Possibly, he believes that is optimal for the playcaller and may lead to him offering a guy he knows, respect and trusts (Dorsey) a shot a calling the plays.

That would be wise Imo. For example both stefanski and Nagy were constantly asked if they would give up play calling to the OC all season when things weren’t going well. The OC for a play calling offensive HC essentially becomes like the backup QB when things aren’t going well, the most popular guy in town. If he started out with Dorsey calling plays he takes that element out. Question is if he can handle that. He may be able to with Dorsey but not someone else which is why it was rumored that he wanted it to be a package deal. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

That would be wise Imo. For example both stefanski and Nagy were constantly asked if they would give up play calling to the OC all season when things weren’t going well. The OC for a play calling offensive HC essentially becomes like the backup QB when things aren’t going well, the most popular guy in town. If he started out with Dorsey calling plays he takes that element out. Question is if he can handle that. He may be able to with Dorsey but not someone else which is why it was rumored that he wanted it to be a package deal. 

Man, we're coming at this from all angles.  Interesting.

40 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Expecting Daboll to concentrate on the running game would be like expecting to find a goldmine in your garden. Possible, but not very likely.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Depends on how much you think about the job you can do.

Allen is already a top echelon QB. Dorsey can play it safe or choose to roll the dice if he believes he can help turn the Giants around. If he believes he can be a large part of helping Jones become a viable QB and the Giants being a much better offense the payout is much higher that if he just jumps into an already highly functioning offense with an already superstar QB.

All risk vs reward. 

I agree.  Thus my point that given we don't know how he's thinking, we don't know one way or the other.  There are other factors as well, including moving the family and how much the Bills are willing to pay him or even how much they value him over someone who has been calling plays.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

I'm not convinced he's the best OC option for the Bills.

He's never done that before...I'd like more experience for a team that is this established at this point in time.

We should be picking from the cream of the league, not promoting a rookie from within.

I'm not either.  It remains to be seen how the Bills value him and his experience in the offense, and whether they think he has what it takes to call the plays in a game situation.  We will soon find out.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I would have LOVED to have Daboll be OC when the Bills win their first Super Bowl.  But it's still incredibly meaningful that he, as a Buffalo native, has been such an integral part of this team's amazing rise to relevance again in the NFL.  He deserves as shot as a head coach but I'm sad to see him go before we win that Big One. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.