Brian Daboll hired to be Head Coach of NY Giants

Draconator

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Why would Dorsey walk away from a Unicorn QB in Josh Allen (who lobbied for him the day after the KC game) for a horrible QB in Daniel Jones or an unknown?

Unless there's bad blood with someone in the organization, it doesn't make any sense at all to make a lateral move from sure thing to big question mark.

Especially since Daboll is an offensive coach and everyone would think that any offensive success would stem from Daboll, not his coordinators.

The only reason Dorsey would go is if he just absolutely loves Daboll and wants to continue working under him no matter what.

1 hour ago, Reed83HOF said:

You suggested it in 3 posts on the previous page

"To be honest I wouldn't mind changing schemes a bit."

"I think it would be good for him to learn other offenses."

"Don't know that the Bills should be as concerned with keeping the scheme over finding a top OC replacement."

I don't think I did, and I think I made fair points. 

Firstly, I doubt any new hire of OC for any NFL team comes in and changes the entire scheme. Simply doesn't happen.

They usually go with the teams playbook and install plays that they would like to see run. They may tweak it one way or another to run it the way they want. They also usually need to run any changes by the head coach first. 

The only guy that might make an overall change to a teams offensive scheme would be a new HC hire and usually only if that particular offense has been failing or he if feels he doesn't have the proper personnel to run it. 

My main point was I'd rather see a bright new mind come in and run an offense that he can make an offense work in all situations. Over some guy that has run the scheme previously... but hasn't been very good at it. 

Brian Daboll with his 8 years of experience as an NFL OC and he couldn't figure out how to defeat a cover 2 shell? Took him most of the season to figure out how to get the run game working too.

Even then, most of the latter seasons offensive explosion was mostly Josh Allen making that offense work. His unique running ability to get first downs opened up quite a bit of the Buffalo offense. 

43 minutes ago, MJS said:

Especially since Daboll is an offensive coach and everyone would think that any offensive success would stem from Daboll, not his coordinators.

The only reason Dorsey would go is if he just absolutely loves Daboll and wants to continue working under him no matter what.

or if there is some bad blood with mcclappy. I forgot if it was Colts game or first Pats where McD presser seemed to indicate that there was some friction with him and Daboll. If Dorsey leaves hopefully locker room can stay tight. I imagine it does as core should still be here and losing like this hopefully is good motivation fodder for off season and next year. Go Bills. 

7 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

How about 4th Down at 7-7 at Midfield? Or 4th and 1 first possession of the second half?  

Or should I go back to the Houston playoff game in 2019 and all the mistakes McD made, shutting down the offense the second half?

or was it JJ Watt abusing cody Ford the whole game and Josh running for his life ???

2 hours ago, mannc said:

I just can’t see Dorsey walking away from the Bills OC job…it’s almost a lock that he’ll be in line for a HC job in 2-3 years.  NYG is much more uncertain and a lot of people will assume Daboll is the de facto OC…

There was some NFL sources stating Dorsey was going to go with Dabol.  I am putting it out there.  Who knows what the man will do.  

2 hours ago, Turk71 said:

only 3 teams in the NFL used pre snap motion on a lesser % of plays than the Bills last season; the Giants, the Eagles, and the Cardinals. 

I'd like to see more moving parts and more speed to really get defenses on their heels.

Conversely, if you watch a Niners game, they’ve got motion and misdirection going on all over the place.  Shanahan likes to confuse the he!! out of opposing defenses.  He even seems a little over the top.  They ran this one play where they had Jimmy G in the shotgun and their fullback Juszczyk went in motion from left to right.  He turned around coming back to the left, then went behind the center and took the snap.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Keep thinking that the Giants haven’t  seen the playoffs in 7 years and it wasnt all Gettleman they just don’t have much talent 

It is 5 years but who's counting. Agree they don't have much talent. Gettleman was the man responsible for finding talent.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, RunJoshRun said:

I agree.  He's coached in the NFL for many years and his first great offense just happened the last 2 years.  And those are the Josh 2 years of excellence.

Simply untrue.

He has indeed "coached in the NFL for many years," but it's just not true that his first great offense happened the last two years. 

The 2004 Pats offense was excellent, and same with 2006. Same with all four years of his second stint with the Pats in 2013 - 2016, terrific. You did say "NFL," so we can leave the terrific Alabama offense out, but they were in fact great.

In 2008, Daboll was on the Jets the year Favre played with them and that offense was very good indeed.

That's seven really good offenses he's served with in the NFL.

Now, you might say, "yeah, but he wasn't OC on those." Fair enough, but it was you who set out the original boundaries here, not me. If you wanted to gerrymander out the rest of his career and only look at his years as OC, you shouldn't have said, "He's coached in the NFL for many years and his first great offense ..." 

He'd only been an OC for four years in the NFL before he joined the Bills.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Firstly, I doubt any new hire of OC for any NFL team comes in and changes the entire scheme. Simply doesn't happen.

I mean it absolutely does. It is what normally happens. There are basically four core offenses in the NFL. 

The Erhadt-Perkins that the Bills run which is the most flexible and Quarterback centric offense.

The West Coast spread that the Chiefs run which has the most in common with the E-P but the terminology is totally different and requires more set timing routes and reads.

The West Coast stretch zone that the likes of San Francisco and the Rams run which fundamentally is a run first scheme with a heavy play action passing game built off of it. 

The Air Coryell which has fallen a bit out of use because the NFL has gone increasingly to a quick passing offense. 

They each have different terminology for the Quarterback, the offensive line and the receivers. Some of the concepts are consistent and you will see some of the same plays in offenses of different types as the league becomes less rigid. But learning each of those 4 core schemes takes time. Personally I would be sticking with a core E-P guy and changing as little of the core offense as possible. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, ßookie_tech said:

Does anyone think that these compensatory picks may be actually costing coaches opportunities? Do you think Miami would rather us not have the picks and go with someone else if it was a close call? 

No. I can't imagine any team genuinely believing one guy would be the best head coaching candidate they've seen, and then turn him down because hiring him would mean a rival would get two 3rd round comp picks.

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

They usually go with the teams playbook and install plays that they would like to see run. They may tweak it one way or another to run it the way they want. They also usually need to run any changes by the head coach first. 

The only guy that might make an overall change to a teams offensive scheme would be a new HC hire and usually only if that particular offense has been failing or he if feels he doesn't have the proper personnel to run it. 

My main point was I'd rather see a bright new mind come in and run an offense that he can make an offense work in all situations. Over some guy that has run the scheme previously... but hasn't been very good at it. 

Brian Daboll with his 8 years of experience as an NFL OC and he couldn't figure out how to defeat a cover 2 shell? Took him most of the season to figure out how to get the run game working too.

Even then, most of the latter seasons offensive explosion was mostly Josh Allen making that offense work. His unique running ability to get first downs opened up quite a bit of the Buffalo offense. 

Oh, please, this is nonsense.

It wasn't as simple as a cover 2 shell. That's why it gave Andy Reid and the Chiefs the same massive problems it gave the Bills, and for about the same length of time.

Arguing that the later season explosion was only on Allen is pure confirmation bias. If it were only Allen, how come he didn't do the same earlier in the season? He was the QB then too and having problems then too.

You want to believe that it was Allen, not Daboll, so even though it's absent any evidence, you just believe it.

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.