Should the Bills extend Edmunds?

Victory Formation

Should the Bills extend Edmunds?  

333 members have voted

1. 1. What should we do with Edmunds?

• Extend him! He’s still young and developing, he will come stound!
    • Let him walk after his contract is up, he sucks!
    • Trade Edmunds for picks in the 2022 & 2023 draft!

17 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

I think he's going to be floated around in every trade scenario including moving up from 25 to say in the 10 to 15 range.  

Looking at the board....

Washington at 11 - they could use an MLB.  And I'd do Edmonds and the 25th for the 11th.

The Vikings at 12 - could we talk a massive deal involving Hunter?   The Vikings have cap issues here in 2022 - currently over the cap.  They might look to do a mini rebuild under new management.  Hunter is 27 but coming off a torn pec and neck surgery.     

Edmonds, the 25th, a 1st next year, for Hunter? 

The Eagles have the 15th and 16th picks.  Unless the plan is Hurts and their firsts for Watson they will definitely be open here to trading one of them.  

I don't love the idea of trading him.

It's just cap reality and I don't think you can pay him what will take up space we need for more significant positions of need - IOL and CB.  WR is going to be one to if only Diggs and Davis are back.  

I wish they would’ve made the trade last year to leap frog Dallas and pick up 4.39 Micah Parsons who actually played MLB in college. He’d be the blue chip speedy player our front 7 needs.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 2/5/2022 at 12:39 AM, LABILLBACKER said:

No way he's worth 10/yr.  He better enjoy his 12.7 because that's the last penny he gets from the Bills. 

Agreed with your first sentence, but scared the Bills think differently on your second sentence.

On 2/5/2022 at 12:42 AM, gr8billsfan said:

The question is if he’s being utilized to his strengths? Yes, he’s had a lot of missed tackles. Yet, who would we replace him with?  IMO keep the Defensive core intact. Sign him for a two year deal. Our biggest concern isn’t the MLB, it’s the CB2

Literally almost anyone. Klein has stepped in a couple times and we havent missed a beat. As a matter of fact, iirc, Klein came in and immediately made plays and tipped balls in pass defense.

If we can trade Edmunds and keep Klein at his $7M, I'm all for it.

On 2/5/2022 at 12:42 AM, gr8billsfan said:

The question is if he’s being utilized to his strengths? Yes, he’s had a lot of missed tackles. Yet, who would we replace him with?  IMO keep the Defensive core intact. Sign him for a two year deal. Our biggest concern isn’t the MLB, it’s the CB2

If Edmunds is not being utilized to his strengths, then this isn’t the defense for him.  The market would dictate that he should get a deal from a team with a defense where he would be.  I really don’t think that is it though.

Why would Edmunds be open to signing a 2 year deal?  Some team with a bunch of space will probably do way better than that.  I have speculated that the reason the Bills waited so long to pick up Edmunds’ option was because they were trying to negotiate a LTD that fit with his value to the team.  If I am correct then I’d expect him to hit FA next offseason.

An MLB replacement that can do everything that McDermott wants will be difficult to find.  Replacing Edmunds’ on field production won’t be.

CB2 is a far greater and more immediate need.  Hell, CB1 is too if Tre can’t go week 1.  But that has nothing to do with how much of a need there is at MLB probably starting next offseason.

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

If Edmunds is not being utilized to his strengths, then this isn’t the defense for him.  The market would dictate that he should get a deal from a team with a defense where he would be.  I really don’t think that is it though.

Well, if you're interested, Cover1 has been putting up some film analysis on this (follow or use a browser to look at Cover1 and Erik Turner on Twitter)

Basically as I understand it, one of their points is that it all starts up front.   Because our DL can not routinely move bodies and prevent gaps from being opened, Edmunds is left with responsibility for 2 gaps in the run game a helluva lot more than any MLB can be expected to neutralize with his pass d responsibilities. (keep in mind this is my take, and better to check it out and draw your own summation)

So it's possible that Edmunds is in a defensive scheme that can utilize his strengths in covering the pass game, but other parts of the defense aren't working "up to spec" and are hanging him out to dry a bit in the run game.

I'm not arguing for or against this point. I certainly don't think anyone would argue that teams are particularly scared of the Bills DL and many have argued against its quality quite vehemently.  On the other hand, if true, it's very disappointing given the investment Beane has made on it in draft picks and in FA expenditure.

I'm just pointing out one argument that it can be true that this is the defensive scheme for Edmunds, AND he is not being fully utilized to his strengths.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Of course the issues in the run game aren’t all Edmunds fault, take for example that TD run by Harris in the first Patsie game where it looked like Edmunds overran the play. He was caught in no man’s land, it was a 2 way go for Harris and Edmunds ran to the outside hole. Once Harris cut back inside it was off to the races. I do blame him for plays that are entirely within his control, like failing to stop Fournette on a crucial 3rd and 1 in overtime where it was just him and the RB in the hole. Also blame him for some of his coverage awareness where at times he doesn’t recognize the receiver coming into his zone and is left to chase the ball. His awareness in his 4th year hasn’t increased significantly from his rookie season. Maybe that’s attributed to instincts, where I feel he’s lacking in that area as well. To put it simply, I want Edmunds to play the position on the field that comes with the least amount of thinking - see ball, get ball. Because the Bills employ a nickel defense more than most teams, I’m not sure that position exists, other than DE, and there’s no way he’s excelling there. Explore a trade, Beane.

• Like (+1) 2

61 games played and 37.5 impact plays made (INTs, forced fumbles, sack, TFLs) in that time.  In fact, he hasn't forced a fumble since the 5th game of his rookie season.  

If your MLB isn't making more impact plays then something's either wrong with the player or scheme.  I see people rotating to making it about the front 4, which is ironic because the HC has spent more UFA and draft resources and somehow it's not enough.  The Bills ranked 2nd in DL spending last season.  

32 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

61 games played and 37.5 impact plays made (INTs, forced fumbles, sack, TFLs) in that time.  In fact, he hasn't forced a fumble since the 5th game of his rookie season.  

If your MLB isn't making more impact plays then something's either wrong with the player or scheme.  I see people rotating to making it about the front 4, which is ironic because the HC has spent more UFA and draft resources and somehow it's not enough.  The Bills ranked 2nd in DL spending last season.  

But I thought it was the schemes fault he doesn’t make ANY big plays?!? That Kuechly guy never made any plays either!  Def the systems fault

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

Trade Edmunds who plays Mike?   Edmunds was a highly touted pick.  Buffalo traded up for Allen and Edmunds mind you.  A day 2 or 3 pick walks in and plays better or as good?  Find a 4 year starter in college and he is the same age or older than Edmunds today.  This is not 1999.   

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, NewEra said:

But I thought it was the schemes fault he doesn’t make ANY big plays?!? That Kuechly guy never made any plays either!  Def the systems fault

Yep.  Some people are getting their shovels and digging even deeper on this subject.  Pretty soon they'll need a backhoe.  

• Agree 1

On 2/5/2022 at 3:27 AM, HOUSE said:

He is still very young, a freak athlete, a once in a life time talent!

Trade him for a 3rd rounder....0:)

Beane could probably get as high as a 2nd rounder for him if another team truly believes in Edmunds talent and thinks he's miscast in the Bills defense.

Either way any talk of him still waiting to 'break out' for the Bills in this current scheme is delusional at best and Edmunds has shown exactly who he is.

• Sad 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Trade Edmunds who plays Mike?   Edmunds was a highly touted pick.  Buffalo traded up for Allen and Edmunds mind you.  A day 2 or 3 pick walks in and plays better or as good?  Find a 4 year starter in college and he is the same age or older than Edmunds today.  This is not 1999.   

He’s not getting traded this off-season.  But if he were to be, then the  answer would be the same as if he blew his knee out doing squats today: whomever we could sign or draft to fill that hole.  In the meantime, probably Klein would be at the top of the depth chart.  As it stands the Bills have an extra year to find contingencies.  Also since players do get injured and miss time, finding a backup for his position should be on the To Do List anyway. 

Edmunds has his issues, (plays a bit soft imo) but the HC really likes what ever it is that he is doing, so…, that right there kinda tells the tale, 

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

I kinda' doubt the Bills REALLY believe in Edmunds any longer...........they just don't have a lot of choice.

Prior to this season I think a lot of the league thought he was a special talent.............and part of that was that there weren't many really good ILB's in the league.

But this year rando's.........like Logan Wilson and Nick Bolton on the Bills AFC rivals among others..........really started to lap him in terms of impact on a game to game basis.     Using all that draft capital on Edmunds.......only to put him in a position he isn't instinctive enough to play........... looks like a waste in hindsight.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I kinda' doubt the Bills REALLY believe in Edmunds any longer...........they just don't have a lot of choice.

Prior to this season I think a lot of the league thought he was a special talent.............and part of that was that there weren't many really good ILB's in the league.

But this year rando's.........like Logan Wilson and Nick Bolton on the Bills AFC rivals among others..........really started to lap him in terms of impact on a game to game basis.     Using all that draft capital on Edmunds.......only to put him in a position he isn't instinctive enough to play........... looks like a waste in hindsight.

Mmmmhmmmm.  Last year I got flamed (by some), for hoping that we would trade edmunds for a 2nd rd pick so we can select Bolton.  A real MLB that has MLB instincts.  

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

Mmmmhmmmm.  Last year I got flamed (by some), for hoping that we would trade edmunds for a 2nd rd pick so we can select Bolton.  A real MLB that has MLB instincts.  

I would take a 2nd for Edmunds in a heartbeat and then I would draft Channing Tindall from Georgia. Reminds me a bit of London Fletcher, except he has the closing speed of Ray Lewis. Could possibly even land him at the top or middle of the 3rd round. Would free up a ton of cap room at the same time!

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

I would take a 2nd for Edmunds in a heartbeat and then I would draft Channing Tindall from Georgia. Reminds me a bit of London Fletcher, except he has the closing speed of Ray Lewis. Could possibly even land him at the top or middle of the 3rd round. Would free up a ton of cap room at the same time!

We’d be lucky to get a 3rd this year.  Might be lucky to get a 4th.  I haven’t looked at any Tindall tape yet. Just what I saw during the season.  Kinda reminded me of last year crush Jok with his athleticism.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.