McDermott end of season press conference

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

That’s exactly what they should do.  Build on your greatest strength. Pretty sure they’ll instead draft a defensive lineman who will do nothing to help us beat KC…

I don't know... locking up with the tackle and letting him ride you 10 yards past the QB every play isn't helpful?

5 minutes ago, Process said:

So he refuses to give any answers regarding the kickoff. Fine. 

Did he provide any detail on what the hell they were doing on defense the final two plays? Why they rushed four d lineman? Why they were protecting the sidelines? Why they were playing 20 yards off? Anything?

So inexcusable. 

He doesn't owe you a detailed explanation. He has stated over and over that what transpired over those 13 seconds "starts with him." He doesn't need to do anything more than start looking forward to how they can learn from this and do the things that are necessary to be a better team next year. They tried their best and came up short.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, billsfan1959 said:

He doesn't owe you a detailed explanation. He has stated over and over that what transpired over those 13 seconds "starts with him." He doesn't need to do anything more than start looking forward to how they can learn from this and do the things that are necessary to be a better team next year. They tried their best and came up short.

Oh, goodie, I feel better now. As long as they tried their best!

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Lmao.  Really?  We traded a first for Diggs, traded up twice for Allen, traded up for Ford, drafted Devin, Knox, Davis, Brown, etc.  

But please, tell us all again how we only focused on defense the last 5 years.  

Offense was unstoppable in the playoffs and defense didn’t get the job done against KC.  Yet you’re somehow opposed to addressing the defense?

Geezus this place is off he rails right now

The Offense was unstoppable in the Playoffs, in part, because Josh Allen Unleashed is a viable option when it comes time to do or die.

It's not viable to play him like we did against KC, game in/game out.   

This game needs to be played in Orchard Park next year.  To get there, we need to aim for the 1 seed and win the necessary games needed in the regular season.  

If we want to draft a RD1 CB, I'm good with it.  That makes complete sense, and I believe helps us beat KC.   After that, when it comes to FA and the Draft, unless there's some magic to be made to bring in an elite level pass rusher... for the love of God, give Josh Allen the necessary help for an 18 week Regular Season.  That means the rest of the offseason focus should be on bolstering the OL and more speed on Offense.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, TheFunPolice said:

I don't know... locking up with the tackle and letting him ride you 10 yards past the QB every play isn't helpful?

It’s amazing to me how many Bills fans want to double-down on the failed strategy of using our top picks on defense to try to beat Mahomes…

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

He really hasn't gotten better in 5 years, I'm not sure what's going to change now. He coached scared in last year's game in KC as well. He's still horrible with timeout usage 5 years later. He still has that deer in the headlights look in the biggest moments of the game and screwed up with the squib and the scheme late. Also 5 years in and his D can't come up with a big stop late. This is also so much about preparation. Just like his first year vs the Colts when he didn't know that a tie would have eliminated us from the playoffs and punted late, he wasn't prepared for the 4th and short decisions last year and wasn't prepared for the late situation this year. 

Credit to him for being part of the decision to draft #17, no doubt about that. But if we stop holding the standard to comparing this team to the teams of the drought and look at it in the sense of what can we do to maximize this time we have with an elite QB, I'd want a coach that matches the preparation and fearlessness of Josh. 

You mean like what we saw in the wild card game against the Patriots*?

This is such a weak take.

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

A point.  But I think you understand exactly what I mean.

I understand why people are upset. I'm a bit upset. Some of us have more constructive ways of expressing our emotions. And some of us do not. 

During the season I was personally getting pissed off at the doom and gloom posters. They annoyed me to no end. Others seemed much better at ignoring them than I was. Now that the season is over, in the way that it ended, the absurd takes aren't getting to me at all. 

I guess it's just easier for me to accept this post mortem period, understanding that people are going to express their anger and frustration in what ever way makes sense to them. Even if it makes no sense to me. 

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

The Offense was unstoppable in the Playoffs, in part, because Josh Allen Unleashed is a viable option when it comes time to do or die.

It's not viable to play him like we did against KC, game in/game out.   

This game needs to be played in Orchard Park next year.  To get there, we need to aim for the 1 seed and win the necessary games needed in the regular season.  

If we want to draft a RD1 CB, I'm good with it.  That makes complete sense, and I believe helps us beat KC.   After that, when it comes to FA and the Draft, unless there's some magic to be made to bring in an elite level pass rusher... for the love of God, give Josh Allen the necessary help for an 18 week Regular Season.  That means the rest of the offseason focus should be on bolstering the OL and more speed on Offense.  

Im not saying to address only one of the other.  I’m saying it’s utterly ridiculous to come on here (not you, the poster I quoted) and claim we have only focused on defense the last 5 years and therefore it’s a mistake to give any attention the defense this off-season.  

We absolutely need to also address the OL.  I disagree we need more speed, our offense was plenty explosive.  I’m all for more speed, just saying the Achilles heal on offense was always our OL more than anything.  Fix that and we are all the top offense in the NFL next year.  

We have needs to address on both sides of the ball this off-season.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

How can anyone guarantee this type of ***** show does not happen again?  No excuses and one of the assistants should be fired,  the problem I see is the Pegulas are too soft and not asking Sean WTF were you and your assistants thinking .   How much money did Terry & Kim lose from not hosting ACF title game Sunday? 

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Lmao.  Really?  We traded a first for Diggs, traded up twice for Allen, traded up for Ford, drafted Devin, Knox, Davis, Brown, etc.  

But please, tell us all again how we only focused on defense the last 5 years.  

Offense was unstoppable in the playoffs and defense didn’t get the job done against KC.  Yet you’re somehow opposed to addressing the defense?

Geezus this place is off he rails right now

We’ll let’s take a look tre White, you mention Allen okay did you know they traded back into the first round for Edmunds the next year Ed Oliver, you mentioned Diggs his first pick that year was Aj the next year was Greg.
Now if you don’t know what they play let me enlighten you 1 corner 2 middle Linebacker 3 Defensive Tackle 4 Defensive End 5 Defensive End the last 5 years all with in the first two rounds All with there first selection except Josh Edmunds came with the second first round pick.

Chances are almost 100% that Chiefs are going to try to get into FG range, not a TD. So you play normal defense there. Maybe 1 safety way back. 

The big play is really the first one with 13 seconds left. They are going to try to get around 20 yards. Even if they want to throw a hail mary the next play, they are going to want 20-25 yards the first play to set it up. They aren't going deep on play #1. Way too risky and then they're basically screwed if it doesn't work being 75 yards away with like 7 seconds left. 

So you play it like it's 4th and 20. Don't let them get an easy one there. If they go over the top and somehow beat you then they beat you. It's way, way, high risk for them. Like I said, one thing goes wrong for them there and it's 2nd and 10 at their own 25 with 6-7 seconds left. Then what? 

You stop them on 1st down with 13 seconds and you win the game. 

We played like it was 4th and 20 and we were fine with them picking it up. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Going to be unbearable here for a while. 

You might not understand or agree, but there is something therapeutic about it…people here are extremely passionate about this team, and what we witnessed Sunday night was unprecedented and shocking…damn right, there’s going to be anger and frustration, not all of it rational…

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.