Sullivan: Bills' McDermott choked away Super Bowl-caliber season

QCity

21 minutes ago, Heitz said:

To be fair, that QB didn't transcend by himself - look at the other QBs drafted that year, Bills must have done something right... :beer:

I was very critical of how they brought him along year's 1-2 as I thought it was too slow.  However when McD finally realized that 300 yards passing and scoring 30 points was not a bad thing, well the rest is history.

Remember it was McD who thought Peterman was a starting NFL qb.

Or Dabol gets all the credit.  

McD is good, but does at times rub me the wrong way. 

Edited by Billsfan1972

On 1/25/2022 at 7:27 PM, Success said:

I brought it up on another thread, but Belichick had almost the same sequence in the 2018 AFCCG.

There were 38 seconds left in that one - but KC only had 1 timeout.  KC went from their own 31 to the New England 20 in 2 passes (and in 18 seconds), just like our game, and they kicked the tying FG.

The only difference was that NE won the OT coin toss.

And in a colossal feat of stupidity that off season, the NFL owners (including the Bills) voted down a KC proposal for BOTH teams to have one possession in OT guaranteed without any intelligent rationale for doing so!! You want both teams to have a chance in OT what? NFL owners " BUT, BUT We are tired and it might be past our bedtime! We just need the game to end, its too long........" 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Livinginthepast said:

And in a colossal feat of stupidity that off season, the NFL owners (including the Bills) voted down a KC proposal for BOTH teams to have one possession in OT guaranteed without any intelligent rationale for doing so!! You want both teams to have a chance in OT what? NFL owners " BUT, BUT We are tired and it might be past our bedtime! We just need the game to end, its too long........" 

As far as I know there was no vote taken. I dont know the procedures for what is decided to be voted on, but sounds like there wasnt even any interest to vote at all.

9 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

As far as I know there was no vote taken. I dont know the procedures for what is decided to be voted on, but sounds like there wasnt even any interest to vote at all.

Weird I swear I read it differently on SB Nation Monday but looking for that same article today, I cannot find it. But you are right, incredibly there was NO VOTE at all on the issue!!!! I guess a lot of owners just are lame!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/chiefs/2022/01/24/chiefs-tried-to-change-ot-rules-beat-bills/6634070001/

Michael Lombardi on the NFL network just lambasted McDermott for the final 13 seconds of the Chiefs game. He blew it!!!!!!!  Should it be a Scott Norwood lesson? Should McDermotts's mistakes are unforgivable?

7 minutes ago, Albwan said:

IMO they choked going back to the JAX and to some extent Tenn game.

Bills would probably win a home championship game.

We had KC beat at home until the coaching incompetence took over the last 13 seconds. They even took two time outs to boot. Unbelievable. We fans should be outraged. 

2 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Michael Lombardi on the NFL network just lambasted McDermott for the final 13 seconds of the Chiefs game. He blew it!!!!!!!  Should it be a Scott Norwood lesson? Should McDermotts's mistakes are unforgivable?

The same Michael Lombardi who can't get a job in the NFL now? 

I griped when they changed the rules because Favre didn't get a possession in OT... but changing the rules isn't even on my mind after that game.  I don't think that was a problem.

I think the reality is that the rest of the World wishes that game had gone on forever... like Ragnarok.

As a Bills fan, I have zero interest in rewatching it.  Like a turnover, gotta put it behind us.  We got the short end of the stick this time but I'm chomping at the bit for next year.

I used to dread the Chefs as I once did the Pats... I knew they were the better team... but those days are gone.  Josh Allen is a trooper, a leader, and doesn't have any quit in him.  We've got to get keep getting better in the trenches, at linebacker, and tight end... then the sky's the limit.

Some of our guys are going to develop and I trust Beane to get good value with what he's got to work with.

As for McDermott, he just finished his fifth season as a head coach... we've enjoyed more success in those five years than the twenty years that came before.  How was Belichick doing his fifth year as head coach?  ...finishing up a 5-11 season and getting fired from Cleveland/Baltimore.  McDermott's record as compared to Andy Reid's is quite similar... and Reid was in the Super Bowl in year 6.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

Weird I swear I read it differently on SB Nation Monday but looking for that same article today, I cannot find it. But you are right, incredibly there was NO VOTE at all on the issue!!!! I guess a lot of owners just are lame!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/chiefs/2022/01/24/chiefs-tried-to-change-ot-rules-beat-bills/6634070001/

Yeah I think it was reported as voting it down, sensationalist journalism at its finest "Voting against it comes back to bite the Bills" makes for fun clickbait, but when it came down to fact checking it people were finding there wasn't even a vote. Im betting a lot of articles were revised.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Or you lucked in to a transcendent QB, that will help cover up every deficiency/error you make for the next dozen years???

McD I've come around on.  He is a great coach, however some things he does, decisions and missteps continue to confound.

We can only afford a couple more confounding moments or he goes from great to a liability. You just absolutely can't waste a qb performance like that.  And McD butchered that last 13 seconds. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

Tyrod gained 47 yards in the game before. Benching him wasn't that big of a mistake.

Peterman never should have been the backup either.  His inability to coach or understand the QB position (and what offense was) for 3 years (yep 2 with Allen) was troublesome. 

Just now, LABILLBACKER said:

We can only afford a couple more confounding moments or he goes from great to a liability. You just absolutely can't waste a qb performance like that.  And McD butchered that last 13 seconds. 

Actually I have no idea why I said Great....  He's a GOOD Coach.  Apologies.....😜

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

I'm worried Terry/Kim don't care that much. 

They went big time when they bought the Bills.  Before that, sure, Terry was a multi-billionaire and owned the Sabres but getting into NFL ownership is an admission to a much bigger and more elite club.  I think they cared when they hired McD, but their attention shifted to being in the "club" and getting a new stadium built.  And of course, being profitable with this 1.4B+ investment.  

Frankly, I want ownership that empowers their team's management without interfering with operations, but it's going to happen.  Have to be careful about ownership "caring" too much.  At the same time, I'm seeing the Pegula's give McBeane the authority and resources to win a championship.  This ain't the penny-pinching RW years when his handlers squeezed as many nickels out of the franchise before an inevitable sale.  

Still, I'd hope behind the scenes that the GM and HC up their game because you don't play it safe into a championship.  I'd hope ownership makes that known and the HC/GM know what to do from there. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, extrahammer said:

The same Michael Lombardi who can't get a job in the NFL now? 

What does that have to do with the validity of what he's saying about Coach McD collasal 13 second collapse in which he used 2 time outs to get it right. 

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Couldn't agree with this more. Spot on. 

2 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

What does that have to do with the validity of what he's saying about Coach McD collasal 13 second collapse in which he used 2 time outs to get it right. 

It means opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one. It means there must be a reason he hasn't had an NFL opportunity in a long time, nor has he ever held tenure during a very successful team, outside of being with the Patriots for a year in 2014. It means he's a personality, or clickbaiter. He alongside a mob of people are only focusing on those 13 seconds because that's sexy to do. In reality, when the Bills, the Chiefs, or any opponent we face next year reviews the tape on us, they're going to review the other 59 minutes versus those 13 seconds. 

The takes that focus on those 13 seconds trying to quantify McD as a "choke" artist, like Jerry's, are insulting your intelligence because a similar scenario happened in 2018 with Belichick, considered the smartest and most evil mind in football, yet the main differentiator is NE won the coin toss in OT. You didn't see media outrage questioning Reid's ability, because Reid has been around a lot longer and he's a fat lovable coach who likes to make chocolate cake analogies. McD is a 5th year HC, is more quiet, Tim Tebow type personality, so he's not as likable. Lombardi worked with the Patriots for a short time. He's always critical of the Bills, just like Jerry has built his name on it. 

The reality is, the Bills lost not only because of 13 seconds in the game, they lost because Tyreek Hill outran our entire defense that flipped the momentum, Kelce had enough experience to read and communicate a seam, we called offensive plays that didn't play to our strengths in the 1st half, we didn't try to expose KC's best cover man being out, and we lost a coin toss. 5 or more other factors could have won us the game too. 

Edited by extrahammer
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.