Sullivan: Bills' McDermott choked away Super Bowl-caliber season

QCity

40 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Nah.  It's overly emotional drivel designed to tug at the heart strings of the reader and tap into the anger and frustration of a franchise fan base.   The fact that the defense failed to make a stop is obvious, and criticism on that point it fair.  Words and phrases that characterize---"choke", "hide behind", "self-serving" and "froze" are better suited for middle school playgrounds (or amongst fans desperate to make sense of a heartbreaking loss) than in serious analysis of a professional sporting event by a journalist.  

That said, this sort of work appeals to some readers for any number of reasons. There's no need to trash the guy, or his column, some people like this sort of thing. 

Some people in Buffalo do like it. It appeals to their need to blame others for failure. They LOVE Sullivan for that. 

But it's very low vibration and begets more failure. It does not make anybody better, and that was obvious during the drought. It's just kicking a dead horse to get a dopamine hit. 

Successful people recognize where they need to improve, and then work in the offseason to improve it. Did you choke in a big moment? Maybe a sports psychologist is in order to calm you down during intense moments. Lots of people learn deep breathing. DE couldn't sack Mahomes despite pressure? Maybe need to find more athleticism at that position or put someone slippery at QB like McKenzie or Diggs and practice tackling them. Or sign some CBs better at jamming at the line. Find the solution and implement. Allen knows all about that mentality. 

In other words, acceptance you need to improve, and then put it into action. All this vitriol is for losers. Literally....losers. People who never improve their lot in life and never get better or wiser. Someone like Jerry Sullivan. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, ToGoGo said:

Some people in Buffalo do like it. It appeals to their need to blame others for failure. They LOVE Sullivan for that. 

But it's very low vibration and begets more failure. It does not make anybody better, and that was obvious during the drought. It's just kicking a dead horse to get a dopamine hit. 

Successful people recognize where they need to improve, and then work in the offseason to improve it. Did you choke in a big moment? Maybe a sports psychologist is in order to calm you down during intense moments. Lots of people learn deep breathing. DE couldn't sack Mahomes despite pressure? Maybe need to find more athleticism at that position or put someone slippery at QB like McKenzie or Diggs and practice tackling them. Or sign some CBs better at jamming at the line. Find the solution and implement. Allen knows all about that mentality. 

In other words, acceptance you need to improve, and then put it into action. All this vitriol is for losers. Literally....losers. People who never improve their lot in life and never get better or wiser. Someone like Jerry Sullivan. 

Agree mostly, but I can understand some folks want the distraction of a Sullivan in the moment and don't necessarily think of that in terms of losers.  Some folks like watching The Real Housewives of ________, who am I to say? 

On the pressure on Mahommes--early on, the D was pressuring him but he was a wizard in the pocket.  In that regard, my friend the 9ers fan called him "inhuman" while similarly crediting JA for his wizardry Sunday night.  Mahommes  was stellar, which makes me so painfully aware of the fact that he was allowed time to complete the throws in the last few seconds. I don't know any NFL qb that couldn't have made those throws. 

I've had some miscues in life for sure.  The mistakes I've made haven't hurt me to any great degree, I've gotten lucky more than a few times and you're right about a guy like JA--fixated on the positive and continuous personal improvement.  I'm certain a JS column is not required reading in his house. 

Oh--btw--I've spent way too much time worrying about officials and their calls at inopportune times.  That's my JS-type fix, though I'm working on it.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

49 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

This is a good attitude to have and one that fosters competition and improvement.  But there's another side to it.  And that's you might only get a couple chances at the limelight, maybe just one.  You can't know for sure.  Because while you're out there fixing your shortcomings and deficiencies everybody else is out there doing the same thing.  And maybe they do a better job of it than you do or they just get lucky and they pass you.  And now the competition you've got to fight and pass over and overcome and defeat is a little harder and a little deeper.  

This year the Bills won the division and slotted into the 3rd seed.  They should have won and its hard to believe they didn't.  Probability-wise its probably a once in a lifetime thing most of us might never see again.  But how many once in a lifetime type losses have Bills fans endured?

The Bills went 5-1 in the division.  Maybe next year the three other teams chasing us close the gap.  And then again maybe not.  Maybe Beane and McDermott fix some things a lot of us have complained about and they go 17-0?  Or 16-1?  Or get the 1st seed?  Or maybe just make the playoffs again? 

I've got to admit.  I haven't said a word to my family yet but even with 13 seconds left there was a little voice in the back of my mind asking "how are they going to blow this one?"  That's what 45 years of following the Bills and suffering through a lot of heartache can do to you.  If you don't wrestle with the football curse demons I do or if you got over it I envy you.  Still I was hoping for the Super Bowl this year.  I remember when the Cubs finally won the World Series and I saw a sign a fan had up.  "Now I can die in peace."  If you're an older Bills fan that might resonate with you too.  Let's go Bills in 2022!    

Edited by All_Pro_Bills
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

This is a good attitude to have and one that fosters competition and improvement.  But there's another side to it.  And that's you might only get a couple chances at the limelight, maybe just one.  You can't know for sure.  Because while you're out there fixing your shortcomings and deficiencies everybody else is out there doing the same thing.  And maybe they do a better job of it than you do or they just get lucky and they pass you.  And now the competition you've got to fight and pass over and overcome and defeat is a little harder and a little deeper.  

This year the Bills won the division and slotted into the 3rd seed.  They should have won and its hard to believe they didn't.  Probability-wise its probably a once in a lifetime thing most of us might never see again.  But how many once in a lifetime type losses have Bills fans endured?

The Bills went 5-1 in the division.  Maybe next year the three other teams chasing us close the gap.  And then again maybe not.  Maybe Beane and McDermott fix some things a lot of us have complained about and they go 17-0?  Or 16-1?  Or get the 1st seed?  Or maybe just make the playoffs again? 

I've got to admit.  I haven't said a word to my family yet but even with 13 seconds left there was a little voice in the back of my mind asking "how are they going to blow this one?"  That's what 45 years of following the Bills and suffering through a lot of heartache can do to you.  If you don't wrestle with the football curse demons I do or if you got over it I envy you.  Still I was hoping for the Super Bowl this year.  I remember when the Cubs finally won the World Series and I saw a sign a fan had up.  "Now I can die in peace."  If you're an older Bills fan that might resonate with you too.  Let's go Bills in 2022!    

I appreciate the candor and honesty you post with.  In reply I want to just say that I wonder how many bites at the apple anyone gave the Bills 90's teams of repeating...Trust me Im not looking at repeating That specifically..... but the matter of the Bills returning to the big dance based on statistics I say throw them out the window. I myself dont see this team regressing because of how Beane has structured some key component deals, sprinkled in with successful draft picks.,...I know it is a bunch of what if's and uncertainty. But I can only at this point in my fandom dial In on OUR team and won't worry about any teams other than our opponents on schedule.  Pray for serendipity and Success and WISDOM moving forward.

GO BILLS

m

35 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

Life is circular. All your opportunities will eventually come around. Eastern wisdom. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Its also just some bad luck. 

Josh slipped against Tenn. Blocked FG vs Pitt. Cody Ford had to play vs Jax, Hurricane vs Pats*, Coin Toss vs Bucs/Chiefs

Sometimes it just happens that way

Before this last game I would have agreed and just chalked it up to bad luck, but this last game was so egregious. It was such a choke and so poorly managed. He has two time outs that he used before each of the Chiefs two plays to discuss the defense, and the result was still the wrong defense to use in the wrong situation at the wrong time. There's no way around for me, he's got some major major flaws with in game coaching decisions that cost the team wins. Definitely cost them this game. And legit legit probably cost them their first ever Superbowl

The 2020 AFC Championship was a game were Josh Allen was out classed, took his lumps, and got a hell of a lot better for it. The 2021 divisional round playoff game versus the Chiefs is where the coaching staff (really McDermott and Frazier, mostly McDermott) took their lumps. If you've been paying attention, as much as Josh Allen has improved each year,  Sean McDermott has improved as well. From the onset of that game (as he did versus the Pats in the second regular season game as well as their first playoff match up) he showed an aggressiveness he never really had before (until certain points earlier this year, going for it on 4th down etc). And McDermott carried that agressiveness through the entire game, until those final 13 seconds. It is a guarantee that Sean McDermott will never play that situation the same way again because of what happened, he's now better for it, and the team going forward will be better for it. It would never be an ideal time for that to have happened, but it could've just easily happened next week or in the super bowl. Now that it's happened, I doubt it'll ever happen again.

Colin Cowherd said something yesterday that I've been saying since Mahomes first "splashed" on to the scene, Andy Reid is above and beyond his perfect fit. Mahomes was drafted to an already playoff contending team (i remember week 1 that year they destroyed defending super bow champs the NE Patriots at home) by an offensive minded Hall of Fame coach used to coaching players such as Michael Vick and Donovan McNabb. Josh Allen was drafted by a defensive minded first time head coach. It was either going to work, or it wasn't, but it was never going to be quick. Allen had to work hard (off seasons with Jordan Palmer, hours of reps and studying with Ken Dorsey, learning from Daboll) and as Allen has had to work hard, McDermott has had to learn to adjust and better himself in ways that are uncomfortable for him. McDermott is clearly a more conservative/Bill Bellicheck type of coach, Josh Allen is not a system QB, he thrives in mayhem and havoc, which McDermott avoids.... until he started not to. McDermott has learned to take risks on the offensive side of the ball, he needs to learn to be a little more flexible in his defensive calls. And if this games ending doesn't teach him that, nothing will. 

Hot take: This Chiefs loss ushers in a new Patriots like dynasty, and it wont be the Chiefs, but rather the Bills. The Chiefs are currently playing at their maximum potential, Mahomes can't play any better, they can't find another Tyreek Hill or Travis Kelce to sign. The Cheifs have a first roumder and 3 2nd rd players on their starting d-line, one stud and 3 well above average rushers a long with Tyran Matheiu. They lost two starting o linemen last year and replaced them with a franchise LT immediately.  The Cheifs, quite honestly, can only go downhill from here, though I'm not counting on it,  and I dont think they have to, because regardless of that. Josh Allen, beat them twice. McDermott went 1-1 vs them.

2022-2023 Buffalo Bills - #1 Seed (caveat - if Allen remains healthy of course) lots of regular season blowouts and guaranteed AFC Championship. A superbowl will fully depend on if Beane will finally let go of the draft and develop strategy now that we have a legitimate game tested and season proven window, and get himself 1-2 game wreckers. Feel free to like the post as a "bring Khalil Mack back home" button. The Bills have done well in house, it's time to add the final touch, apply pressure a second earlier, force one more throw away, anything, and we'd be posting about very different things this week.

• Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

5 hours ago, BillsVet said:

A board of directors doesn't hire a new CEO to learn on the job.  They need that hire to come in on day 1 ready to go.  This narrative people advance about a coach learning incrementally in his 1st 5 seasons is merely lowering expectations for a slow on the draw HC not mentally sharpe enough in-game.  

I'm no longer Sullivan's biggest fan, and aside from the comment about Hyde and Poyer's speed relative to (I'm guessing) Tyreek Hill, the article was 100% fair questioning the HC's inability to manage games at the most crucial junctures.

If McD's biggest accomplishment is "changing the culture" that phase of the rebuild is over now.  The focus now is on supporting Josh and improving everything around the QB.  Anything less and they'll be right back to being susceptible to another McD brain freeze in the 2022 playoffs.   

McDermott had improved year to year and will continue to do so, I believe. He is a bright person with tons of energy. What about that says he won’t improve? He already has a history he will get better. Maybe a retread is what you are looking for? Even Belichick improved year over year. Jeesh some of you really need to get a grip. I understand being upset the Bills lost and the way they did, but McD isn’t going anywhere nor should he. 

1 hour ago, Billsfan4588 said:

The 2020 AFC Championship was a game were Josh Allen was out classed, took his lumps, and got a hell of a lot better for it. The 2021 divisional round playoff game versus the Chiefs is where the coaching staff (really McDermott and Frazier, mostly McDermott) took their lumps. If you've been paying attention, as much as Josh Allen has improved each year,  Sean McDermott has improved as well. From the onset of that game (as he did versus the Pats in the second regular season game as well as their first playoff match up) he showed an aggressiveness he never really had before (until certain points earlier this year, going for it on 4th down etc). And McDermott carried that agressiveness through the entire game, until those final 13 seconds. It is a guarantee that Sean McDermott will never play that situation the same way again because of what happened, he's now better for it, and the team going forward will be better for it. It would never be an ideal time for that to have happened, but it could've just easily happened next week or in the super bowl. Now that it's happened, I doubt it'll ever happen again.

Colin Cowherd said something yesterday that I've been saying since Mahomes first "splashed" on to the scene, Andy Reid is above and beyond his perfect fit. Mahomes was drafted to an already playoff contending team (i remember week 1 that year they destroyed defending super bow champs the NE Patriots at home) by an offensive minded Hall of Fame coach used to coaching players such as Michael Vick and Donovan McNabb. Josh Allen was drafted by a defensive minded first time head coach. It was either going to work, or it wasn't, but it was never going to be quick. Allen had to work hard (off seasons with Jordan Palmer, hours of reps and studying with Ken Dorsey, learning from Daboll) and as Allen has had to work hard, McDermott has had to learn to adjust and better himself in ways that are uncomfortable for him. McDermott is clearly a more conservative/Bill Bellicheck type of coach, Josh Allen is not a system QB, he thrives in mayhem and havoc, which McDermott avoids.... until he started not to. McDermott has learned to take risks on the offensive side of the ball, he needs to learn to be a little more flexible in his defensive calls. And if this games ending doesn't teach him that, nothing will. 

Hot take: This Chiefs loss ushers in a new Patriots like dynasty, and it wont be the Chiefs, but rather the Bills. The Chiefs are currently playing at their maximum potential, Mahomes can't play any better, they can't find another Tyreek Hill or Travis Kelce to sign. The Cheifs have a first roumder and 3 2nd rd players on their starting d-line, one stud and 3 well above average rushers a long with Tyran Matheiu. They lost two starting o linemen last year and replaced them with a franchise LT immediately.  The Cheifs, quite honestly, can only go downhill from here, though I'm not counting on it,  and I dont think they have to, because regardless of that. Josh Allen, beat them twice. McDermott went 1-1 vs them.

2022-2023 Buffalo Bills - #1 Seed (caveat - if Allen remains healthy of course) lots of regular season blowouts and guaranteed AFC Championship. A superbowl will fully depend on if Beane will finally let go of the draft and develop strategy now that we have a legitimate game tested and season proven window, and get himself 1-2 game wreckers. Feel free to like the post as a "bring Khalil Mack back home" button. The Bills have done well in house, it's time to add the final touch, apply pressure a second earlier, force one more throw away, anything, and we'd be posting about very different things this week.

Welcome. Post a lot, good stuff.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

Jerry is right.  Terry and Kim should say someone has to take the blame you or Frazier one has to go or both.

I can't imagine Frazier is going to be with this team next year. If I had to guess they are waiting to see if he gets a HC gig, if not you'll see something about agreeing to 'mutually part ways'.

I like Frazier and his schemes are great against inexperienced and mediorce starting NFL QB's. But the body of work is there over the last 5 years that show when this team facings the elite QB's rarely does this defense hold up and it's simply inexcusable to allow nearly 600 yards of offense in such a high stakes game. Most astute fans knew all along the #1 ranking was as misleading as it gets and was validated on Sunday.

If McDermott is truly ready to evolve it's time for a different perspective on defense and there are more than enough qualified candidates outside the organization to fill that role.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.