Jump to content

Upon further review ... Spencer Brown is a BALLER


Dan Darragh
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, BearNorth said:

Why that never wrong oracle PFF.  I see 311 on the Bills website.

I think regardless of what his real weight is, he puts on another solid 15-20. He has the frame to handle it by farrrrrrrrr.  With strength coordinator, state of the art facility, access to the best food on the planet, dietician, there really isnt a rookie, at any position, that shouldnt put on some weight after their first season.... exception being they came in fat, diff story there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

 

 

I think Davis will be gone before we pick at #32 as well, but just saying.

 

A month or so ago, I agreed that we would look CB early, and we still might. However, since then, our Defense hasnt missed a beat with Tre gone and Wallace and Jackson stepping up. Taron is locked into the Nickel spot, so we are good there. And already have some depth with Lewis and even Neal.

 

Re-sign Wallace, and I don't see a need to spend a 1st on CB. I'd rather dedicate early picks to the trenches. Get WR and DB depth later.

 

I especially don't think we need TWO early CBs. We're 4 good starters deep right now.

I think Wallace and Dane have proven to be acceptable against average NFL passing attacks. Tre tore his ACL against the Saints. Since then:

 

NE (Wind Game N/A)

Tampa (1), Brady ,elite WRs - 383, 2 TDs

Carolina (29), Cam, average WRs  - 156 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT

NE (14), Mac, poor WRs - 145, 2 INT

ATL (16), Ryan, elite TE, poor WRs - 197

NYJ (20), Blondie, poor WRs - 87, 1 TD

NE (14), Mac, poor WRs - 232, 2 TDs, 2 INTs

 

You have to give these guys credit for playing well against average to poor opposition, but that Bucs game was interesting - for a half they played their worst football, for another half some of their best in the secondary. But reality is that haven't played against good QBs or WRs other than the Tampa game since Tre went down. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I think Davis will be gone before we pick at #32 as well, but just saying.

 

A month or so ago, I agreed that we would look CB early, and we still might. However, since then, our Defense hasnt missed a beat with Tre gone and Wallace and Jackson stepping up. Taron is locked into the Nickel spot, so we are good there. And already have some depth with Lewis and even Neal.

 

Re-sign Wallace, and I don't see a need to spend a 1st on CB. I'd rather dedicate early picks to the trenches. Get WR and DB depth later.

 

I especially don't think we need TWO early CBs. We're 4 good starters deep right now.

 

It all depends on how much Wallace is looking for.  He's started 52 games, since the 9th game of his rookie year (minus the 4 he missed last year) and been paid about $1M/year on average.  I can see him being offered a ton by someone else and accepting it and I wouldn't blame him.  As for Tre', we have no idea what shape he'll be in going into the 2022 season, much less by April (i.e. draft time).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, appoo said:

Pretty impressive in season overhaul honestly

 

We started out with 

 

LT - Dawkins

LG - Ford

C - Morse

RG - Feliciano

RT - Williams

 

We're finishing with 

 

LT - Dawkins

LG - Bates

C - Morse

RG - Williams

RT- Brown

 

 

I had put this in another thread, but it goes here. Where the Bills are right now with the OL is much different than most of the year. Their top 5 offensive linemen are Dawkins, Bates, Morse, Williams, and Brown. They have now played 18 games this year:

 

- They have had Dawkins, Morse, Williams, Brown (4 of top 5) playing together in half of those games (9).

- In those 9 games they averaged 416 YPG, 154 rushing YPG, 32 PPG, and went 6-3

- The three losses were to the Titans 34-31, Bucs 33-27 OT, and mother nature (Pats 14-10)

 

- They played 9 games with at least one of those four missing (3 or less of top 5)

- In those 9 games they averaged 358 YPG, 110 rushing YPG, 26 PPG, and went 6-3

- The three losses were to the Steelers 23-16, Jags 9-6, and Colts 41-15

 

- They have had Dawkins, Bates, Morse, Williams, Brown (top 5) playing together in only 4 games

- In those 4 games they averaged 427 YPG, 194 rushing YPG, 35 PPG, and went 4-0

 

 

                                                            Games              YPG              Rush YPG           PPG

With less than 4 of their best OL          9                   359                 110                     26

With 4 of their best OL                          9                   416                  154                    32

With their 5 best OL                              4                   427                  194                    35

 

  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Doc said:

 

It all depends on how much Wallace is looking for.  He's started 52 games, since the 9th game of his rookie year (minus the 4 he missed last year) and been paid about $1M/year on average.  I can see him being offered a ton by someone else and accepting it and I wouldn't blame him.  As for Tre', we have no idea what shape he'll be in going into the 2022 season, much less by April (i.e. draft time).

Thankfully it was an ACL injury rather than an achilles injury, and a pretty straightforward ACL tear. That's a lot more predictable and I think you'll see Tre pretty close back to full strength early in the season. He was never defined by his speed anyways, as he's always had just above average speed for an NFL corner

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, appoo said:

Thankfully it was an ACL injury rather than an achilles injury, and a pretty straightforward ACL tear. That's a lot more predictable and I think you'll see Tre pretty close back to full strength early in the season. He was never defined by his speed anyways, as he's always had just above average speed for an NFL corner

 

I am hoping.  But still expect to lose Wallace.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

 

I am hoping.  But still expect to lose Wallace.

Yep, Wallace is going to be one of the first to be sacrificed thanks to Josh Allen's contract - which I'm all for. Isiah McKenzie might be the 2nd. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

 

I am hoping.  But still expect to lose Wallace.

I think with the massive improvement of the OL over these last 4 games, we have the luxury to draft a CB in the 1st round. I've said for 2 years please give Bates a chance. And now look at the numbers. We still need OL help but we can go out and find CB2 insurance if Levi leaves.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, njbuff said:

It might be a little surprising that Williams is playing so well at guard.

 

Part of the reason he is in Buffalo and not Carolina is because he was terrible at G when Carolina asked him to play there.

https://www.cover1.net/daryl-williams-signing-adds-experience-and-versatility-to-bills-o-line/

 

In fairness to Daryl Williams last year in CAR, he played 2 positions that were new to him, LT and LG predominantly.  Given his girth and slow recovery from knee surgery in 2018 he was ill suited for either position.  He is a good RG because he is seldom asked to move.

Edited by freddyjj
add a link
  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, BearNorth said:

Trent Williams, the gold standard amongst tackles, is 6-5 320. Brown is 6-8 290, does he get bigger in the weight room? or with Josh's mobility do we keep him long and mean.

You could see more weight on him but he seems to understand how to position his tall frame so as not to get bulled over.  His balance and foot speed are good from what I see.  Has a unique roll in that he's part of Allen's frequent roll-out to his right.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like how he chilled out and refocused after his stupid penalty game a few weeks back.  He manned up, took the blame and let his play speak for itself.

 

I was worried a little bit after that game, wondering if the kid is just immature and wild (he is to some extent) and that's why he dropped to the 3rd round because otherwise his power, length and ability to move is so impressive you'd think he would have gone much higher. 

 

I agree with the earlier poster that Beane has made up for his Ford whiff by drafting big 79.  He is going to be up against Ingram this week, who I still can't believe ended up in KC.   That dude can wreck your backfield worse than Frank Clark did last year.   Gilliam and Knox will need to be ready to help out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The mobility he has for a man his size is just crazy. And he's strong, and has a mean streak. A lot to like about him, he just now needs to improve and refine his game.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, SCBills said:

 

Yup.. imagine being the Jets with Mekhi Becton.  It happens.  

 

We're set for a long time with Dawkins/Brown as bookend tackles.  I absolutely love how they're using Doyle as the 6th lineman/jumbo TE.

 

We'll find out a lot about this OL on Sunday.  If they give Allen time, he should be able to light up KC. 

 


What about Doyle as 6th lineman/jumbo TE/Jumbo FB?

 

He is a really big guy and even Allen can hide behind him on fakes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Warcodered said:

I think part of the thinking there was if he couldn't make it at tackle he'd still be a really good guard, turned out neither of those things has been true.

 

Which is how Wyatt Teller got traded.

 

Ford struggled at tackle in OTA's and camp..........Nsekhe was the backup plan at RT........so Nsekhe and Ford became the RT/RG combo in preseason and Beane suddenly had an unexpected starter log-jamming the guard position.  

 

So he had to choose between his higher ceiling second year OG in Teller....who had been the starter at the end of the previous season........... or one of their more "versatile" OL.    He chose Ike Boettger........who at the time had been training at all 5 OL positions(though he is now viewed as a guard only,  by fans at least).

 

The Cody Ford pick was a very costly case of drafting for immediate need.  

 

"We need a tackle" - Brandon Beane, Bills Embedded

 

I don't think Ford is incapable of becoming a good guard........perhaps it will take the tantalizing promise of free agency after the 2022 season to coax the effort, preparation and focus necessary out of him.

 

 

 

 

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

 

Which is how Wyatt Teller got traded.

 

Ford struggled at tackle in OTA's and camp..........Nsekhe was the backup plan at RT........so Nsekhe and Ford became the RT/RG combo in preseason and Beane suddenly had an unexpected starter log-jamming the guard position.  

 

So he had to choose between his higher ceiling second year OG in Teller....who had been the starter at the end of the previous season........... or one of their more "versatile" OL.    He chose Ike Boettger........who at the time had been training at all 5 OL positions(though he is now viewed as a guard only,  by fans at least).

 

The Cody Ford pick was a very costly case of drafting for immediate need.  

 

"We need a tackle" - Brandon Beane, Bills Embedded

 

I don't think Ford is incapable of becoming a good guard........perhaps it will take the tantalizing promise of free agency after the 2022 season to coax the effort, preparation and focus necessary out of him.

 

 

 

 


Ford cost them DK Metcalf and Wyatt Teller - truly unprecedented.

 

EDIT: never mind I see you addressed Metcalf upthread.  Shouldn’t be reading threads in reverse.

 

Wrt Morse, his play on Saturday reset my mindset on him - that was one of the best games by a center I can ever remember watching.  Maybe he was just playing inspired because of his newborn, but if he can sustain that level of play for another year or two we don’t need to upgrade there.

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...