Upon further review ... Spencer Brown is a BALLER

Dan Darragh

Brown is just big and nasty and is a mauler in the run game, sometimes taking out 2 players on the same play. It's not a coincidence most of the Bills success on the ground on edge runs has come to his side.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

Hats off to the front office for another successful draft pick.  Brown is a solid NFL starting RT as a rookie from a small school.  He should get a lot better with more experience and time in a NFL weight room.  No team hits on every pick (see Ford, Cody), but if they hit on enough of them, they'll be successful.  These types of players are all over the Bills roster - Matt Milano, Taron Johnson, Dane Jackson, Dawson Knox, Gabe Davis, etc.  They've hit on some free agents too - Morse, Poyer, Hyde, etc.  Given the presence of a top franchise QB, if the front office can continue this run of success, the Bills will be an excellent team for years to come.

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4

29 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

That is a massive over simplification of what I said, with respect. He has been good for a rookie. Compared to right tackles across the league he has been average. A good run blocker who has struggled at times with pass blocking. But I am sufficiently impressed to basically be saying I am going into next year with him as my right tackle and not looking to bring a vet in to compete. I was not there after Cody Ford's rookie year for example. There is lots of reasons to be optimistic about Spencer Brown. 

Not talking about Brown, but about the performance of the OL in general.  Last week you absolutely said they were still just "average."  While Josh is obviously a part of this, not getting sacked four weeks in row is better than average, and Singletary's rushing numbers indicate a better than average OL.  The bottom line is that this unit has absolutely come together and they are playing at a "playoff-worthy" level.

• Like (+1) 3

The unexpected emergence of Spencer Brown has been a top highlight in another great season full of highlights.

Our OL needs some serious work, but that load on Beane seems to be lightening with Brown's development and the coaching decision to FINALLY start Bates. We've gone from needing 3-4 new OL, to maybe 1-3.

Dawkins is locked in, Brown is now locked in, Bates and Feliciano bring a good competition to LG and general, versatile interior OL depth (not to forget about D Williams).

Need to find Morse's replacement, and 1 or 2 more Guard prospects, and we should be ready to roll.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, eball said:

Not talking about Brown, but about the performance of the OL in general.  Last week you absolutely said they were still just "average."  While Josh is obviously a part of this, not getting sacked four weeks in row is better than average, and Singletary's rushing numbers indicate a better than average OL.  The bottom line is that this unit has absolutely come together and they are playing at a "playoff-worthy" level.

Yes sorry just re-read. I missed your initial point, I apologise. I said on here on Sunday morning that the line was excellent on Saturday. Absolutely it was. There was one play in the first half that I would say was just a "Josh bailing them out play" but other that that they absolutely dominated. I maintain from Carolina through NYJ the line was only average (certainly in pass protection) - thought that remained a big jump on where they were most of the year. 

But if you are looking for me to say they were better than that on Saturday, too late, I already did. They were not just playoff worthy on Saturday they were Championship level. I have drawn the parallel with the Steelers 2008 season where the oline took a lot of heat early as being their weak point and then rallied to play gradually better down the stretch before taking off in the playoffs. Huge challenge this week to shut down Chris Jones. He wrecked the game last year in the AFCCG.... if they can keep him quiet this Sunday the Bills have a path to the Superbowl. It is the number 1 key to the game for the Bills. Nullify Chris Jones. 

• Like (+1) 6

26 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

So, I don’t get these types of posts. Do you think we don’t know Ford’s not very good? 

It’s a thread about how good one of our players are, why even include that? 

It would be like if someone posted how well the corners were doing, and you’re like “Wildgoose was a big miss by Beane.” 

Can you explain the thought process? It’s mind boggling. 

Who was drafted 2 years ago to be our right tackle before Spencer Brown?  Cody Ford.  If Ford was NOT a miss, then Brown probably wouldn't even be a Bill.

It's called context.  Sorry I boggled your mind by going a little past "everybody just say how great everyone is".

• Haha (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

Why that never wrong oracle PFF.  I see 311 on the Bills website.

Yeah - and honestly he looks like a gym rat so he'd probably fit in comfortably in the 315-320 range.  Linemen in general seem to be leaning out considerably from the days where you just had to eat your weight in pasta.  Tall order ahead with the chiefs rush though - Jones occaisionally lines up at End, and Okafor and Ingram are not bad players on that side.  

They believed in Cody Ford.  Other teams have missed on 2nd rounders.  Hell, that guy San Diego drafted a year earlier....what's his name....uh, give me a minute.....we had him in camp.....Forrest Lamp.  Nobody's going nuts on him.  It's an imprecise thing, this draft.  

Spencer Brown went in the 3rd.  I'm glad we took him.

8 minutes ago, TC in St. Louis said:

They believed in Cody Ford.  Other teams have missed on 2nd rounders.  Hell, that guy San Diego drafted a year earlier....what's his name....uh, give me a minute.....we had him in camp.....Forrest Lamp.  Nobody's going nuts on him.  It's an imprecise thing, this draft.  

Spencer Brown went in the 3rd.  I'm glad we took him.

Yup.. imagine being the Jets with Mekhi Becton.  It happens.  

We're set for a long time with Dawkins/Brown as bookend tackles.  I absolutely love how they're using Doyle as the 6th lineman/jumbo TE.

We'll find out a lot about this OL on Sunday.  If they give Allen time, he should be able to light up KC. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

Spencer Brown is one of my favorite Bills already! Dude plays with a mean streak, and he is an absolute giant out there, which I love in a lineman!

Imagine once he gets a full offseason training program!

Doyle is also a nice bonus. Looks like Beane nailed those 2 picks!

As far as bringing up Beane's misses, every GM has them. 

BUT I loved this last draft especially. Tons of linemen, who you can never have too many of. Just look at Tampa. Pro Bowl RT goes down and Brady starts taking insane hits on the right side. IT was the Eagles, so it didn't matter, but Von Miller and Aaron Donald vs a banged up center and back up RT?

There are simply not that many good OL in the game. Having some depth is enormous. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

This offensive line is absolutely gelling.  My feeling of them changed so much, maybe we got something here and draft for depth in the mid rounds…one mid tier free agent.

I’m happy that the whole team is hitting its stride at the right time. However, the O line is still being elevated by the play of the QB behind it or running from it far too often. I loved the first TD to Knox but that is not what I want to see Josh doing. I want him sitting behind a fortress, taking his sweet old time or watching as they road grade for our run game.

We have to take a lineman with me of the top 2 picks.

Morse is no spring chicken. 

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

I’m happy that the whole team is hitting its stride at the right time. However, the O line is still being elevated by the play of the QB behind it or running from it far too often. I loved the first TD to Knox but that is not what I want to see Josh doing. I want him sitting behind a fortress, taking his sweet old time or watching as they road grade for our run game.

On that first TD....he had 10 seconds to throw the ball.  He did create time but he wasn't in imminent danger really until he tried to throw it away.

The line is night and day better since we've gotten healthy and Bates.  

If Jordan Davis is sitting there in the mid 20's....I would jump up and take him.  

I certainly won't complain if we go offensive line heavy in the draft/FA...but I also won't be upset if we don't.

• Like (+1) 4

This is a completely different oline than when the Bills faced the Chiefs in October which is important considering the Chiefs defense is also a completely different unit since that matchup, particularly with the addition of Melvin Ingram on the outside and Chris Jones healthy and back in the middle of the line.

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

To be fair the line did a great job on that play. Allen sits in the original pocket behind a "wall" for 4 seconds. He then moves into a second "pocket" to the right of the main pocket not because he is pressured but because he is trying to find a path to an open receiver because the Pats DBs did a great job plastering. He sits in the secondary pocket for another 3 seconds and it is only 7 seconds into the play that pressure finally emerges and forces Allen out towards the sideline. 

If you want the oline to block for 7 or 8 seconds on every play I think that is an unrealistic expectation. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Spencer Brown is one of my favorite Bills already! Dude plays with a mean streak, and he is an absolute giant out there, which I love in a lineman!

Imagine once he gets a full offseason training program!

Doyle is also a nice bonus. Looks like Beane nailed those 2 picks!

As far as bringing up Beane's misses, every GM has them. 

BUT I loved this last draft especially. Tons of linemen, who you can never have too many of. Just look at Tampa. Pro Bowl RT goes down and Brady starts taking insane hits on the right side. IT was the Eagles, so it didn't matter, but Von Miller and Aaron Donald vs a banged up center and back up RT?

There are simply not that many good OL in the game. Having some depth is enormous. 

agree on line picks including the D Line (still kicking us for not taking Humphrey)  and they should all take a step next year with NFL strength training and technique work. All 4 look really raw at times: promising, flashing at times, high motors but raw

Edited by Robert Paulson
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.