Upon further review ... Spencer Brown is a BALLER

Dan Darragh

23 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I don’t know if we need to upgrade on Morse after what I saw him do on Saturday.

He's been the best Offensive Lineman on this team all year long and it's not even close.

People who want to dump him and create another hole just to save a couple dollars are out of their minds, imo.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5

1 minute ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Couple of things.  He has concussion issues; luckily no issues this year.  He has 1 yr left on a hefty contract that will pay him roughly 6.9 mil in 2022.   Doubt the Bills would franchise tag him.  Maybe he stays for another contract, but if not, we should try and groom an eventual replacement.  Be proactive and not reactive is my thought.

I don't know if issues is the right word, he's had them before so is more likely to retire if he gets another one, because you have to call it at some point.

5 hours ago, Doc said:

I'm thinking they tender him with right of first refusal at $2.4M.  No need to overpay unless someone else offers a huge deal, which I don't see.

I too think a 1st round tender is too much for a G.  At most the 2nd round at $3.9M or what you said.

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

I too think a 1st round tender is too much for a G.  At most the 2nd round at $3.9M or what you said.

Yeah, can't see the 1st round tender.  The 2nd round sure, if he continues to play well this post-season.

4 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Couple of things.  He has concussion issues; luckily no issues this year.  He has 1 yr left on a hefty contract that will pay him roughly 6.9 mil in 2022.   Doubt the Bills would franchise tag him.  Maybe he stays for another contract, but if not, we should try and groom an eventual replacement.  Be proactive and not reactive is my thought.

I’m fine with using a Day 3 pick on a smart, athletic, perhaps undersized G/C prospect they can groom to play center in a few years but there’s no way I’m using a high pick or cap dollars on the position.  They’ve also got Bates and Mongo who can slide over.

1 minute ago, Simon said:

He's been the best Offensive Lineman on this team all year long and it's not even close.

People who want to dump him and create another hole just to save a couple dollars are out of their minds, imo.

I don't see it as wanting to dump him at all, but have a plan in place.  He is an UFA in 2023 according to SPORTRAC, are you assured he will resign?

• Like (+1) 1

Earlier in the year one of his family members hinted at him possibly retiring. With a newborn and his concussion history I wouldn't put it past him. I know when you have kids priorities start to change. 

I'd like for him to play another year but the bills would be wise in getting a backup plan.

Just now, Coach Tuesday said:

I’m fine with using a Day 3 pick on a smart, athletic, perhaps undersized G/C prospect they can groom to play center in a few years but there’s no way I’m using a high pick or cap dollars on the position.  They’ve also got Bates and Mongo who can slide over.

Totally agree; definitely not advocating for that.  I think Bates might be solidified at LG, and perhaps Mongo is the guy.  I have a feeling he might be released though, but that's just a guess. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

I don't see it as wanting to dump him at all, but have a plan in place.  He is an UFA in 2023 according to SPORTRAC, are you assured he will resign?

I was referring to the folks who want to cut him this offseason to save some money on the salary cap.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

LOVE this big rookie!! His presence is a large part of the major improvement in OL play.

I love the big wookie too!   As stated prior, the Chiefs have not had to deal with our latest incarnation of O-line.  I think it's going to be the difference in the game.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Simon said:

Agree.  If Morse wants to play he stays.  He also has the perfect contract that can be played with to free up some cap.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Georgia Bill said:

I love the big wookie too!   As stated prior, the Chiefs have not had to deal with our latest incarnation of O-line.  I think it's going to be the difference in the game.

Absolutely!! Also they will have to account for our rushing attack this time whereas last 2 games they didn't respect it. 

10 hours ago, Your Brown Eye said:

It was a great play, but that is no where near "flatten", blocked? yes...flattened? c'mon.

OK, OK, plenty of comments about this.  I'm amending my assessment from "flattened" to "cajoled away from the QB"

No matter what you call it, it worked.

13 hours ago, Simon said:

He's fun to watch but I'm still not convinced Spencer is the long-term answer at OT. 

He gives up too many pressures at this point, but if he keeps working it, he's likely to get better.

He’s already plus in the run game, and in arriving at the pile just before the whistle to, ahhh, “wear down” the defense.

9 hours ago, Ralonzo said:

He’s already plus in the run game, and in arriving at the pile just before the whistle to, ahhh, “wear down” the defense.

No gripes with any of that; love to watch him play all over the field. Just a little worried about his feet in passpro; he's had some occasional, but recurring tics that Josh's presence and athleticism have covered up.

With DWilliams deservedly on his way out the door and the Bill about to have no OT depth, if I'm Beane I'm sorely tempted to use that first pick on a good young OT and kick Spencer inside to solve a couple problems with a single asset. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.