Daboll's Play Calling -- The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

HIT BY SPIKES

48 minutes ago, Malazan said:

I've also felt that the Bills seem to have more success early and late.. at the start when they're running the gameplan they developed for the team and then late when they just end up turning it over to Josh. Those middle parts of the game where I'd expect Daboll is calling plays based on feel seem to be pretty brutal. 

All that said, they forced the ball to Davis and he dropped it like 74 times on some really catchable balls in this last game. Again though... that clearly wasn't working.. why are you going back to that well? They've seemed to have a problem with this 'forcing' things that aren't working. It's felt like some arrogance of "Well, we're not good at this, but we're gonna keep trying it because we need to be better at it and you guys can be our practice team!" then it if it's game they're in trouble, they go back to what they're good at.. and too many times this season, it's been too late. 

I would challenge the Pats and see if they have someone who can cover McKenzie one on one,  force the Pats to use a second defender and that opens up plays for Diggs & others.  Try using our passing to set up Singletary sweeps and screens,  the key is for Allen not to force things and take the underneath stuff like our last game. End of the day the Bills offence needs to be much sharper then yesterday against the Jets.  We cannot afford drop passes and on defence we need to attack the line like we did against the Jets.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

I'd agree with this and while many people would point to a string of bad play calling for Allen yesterday against the Jets, I'll point to execution. The Jets were in man coverage, and were very tight in that man coverage. You have to absolutely execute to beat that man coverage and that's on the players. 

Saying that, I think Josh would have normally punished the Jets with his runs in those situations but they certainly weren't going to risk that this week. Josh also needs to lean on Beasely when these situations come up and he did try to hit and just was off target.

Completely agree with 5 and 6, Josh is not a WCO Quarterback, he needs the rhythm and maybe that's also what happened in the middle of the Jets game.

And Beas is definitely struggling to separate. When josh did target him yesterday a lot of those ended up contested balls where I feel like a year ago he had a step. Has he been playing nicked up? Is it just age? I feel like we need to get more separation in the slot. 

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Niagara Dude said:

It would be a mistake not starting him,  the Bills would be making it easier for the Pats to slide extra coverage over to Diggs. No one shaking in their boots worried about Beasley who is not as fast or quick in space.  When you play smallest WR'S they need to get separation because their catch radius is not as big.  Beasley seems to excel is soft zone coverage where he finds his spots.  He does not excel at running away from defenders ,  Pats play a lot of man to man & double up your top option

I am concerned that Sean will carry his loyaility card and continue to roll with Beasley.  This is the NFL,  good teams will keep running the same plays until a team shows it can stop it.

Honestly, I’d play Sanders in Beasley position. Have Diggs and Davis outside. Use McKenzie coming out of the backfield. Sanders is a bigger, experienced player with separation ability in the slot

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

And Beas is definitely struggling to separate. When josh did target him yesterday a lot of those ended up contested balls where I feel like a year ago he had a step. Has he been playing nicked up? Is it just age? I feel like we need to get more separation in the slot. 

I'd agree with that. Thought McKenzie would have earned some trust after that NE game and start taking snaps from Beasely. I guess not.

Issues-

took him over half a season to move from zone to gap on runs

play design…there aren’t many easy yards outside Allen and Diggs winning 1v1. 

wasted downs. These get important when stakes are higher and we can’t be smashing singletary power for -1 yard every time we get into the red zone.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, eball said:

It’s an old inside joke at TBD.  When McKenzie was acquired there was another similar player named McKittrick that some folks thought was obtained (maybe he even was, briefly, I don’t remember).  It went back and forth for a bit, but some of us get a kick out of still calling Lil Dirty McKittrick.

‘Twas @BringBackFergy who started the McKittrick thread. 🍺 

53 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Daboll has the bad habit of calling way too many passing plays in high winds, and abandoning the run when it's actually working. 

We had 20 straight passing plays (18 pass attempts, 2 JA scrambles)! In a game where the wind was having an obvious effect on QBs and punters.  

Very reminiscent of the Ravens playoff game. 

I don’t begrudge the approach last night.  We didn’t start to throw the ball against NE at home until it was too late.  We have to try to throw into the wind.  And, the Jets played it pretty tight to the LOS when we faced the wind.  So we had to try to throw the ball. 

19 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Honestly, I’d play Sanders in Beasley position. Have Diggs and Davis outside. Use McKenzie coming out of the backfield. Sanders is a bigger, experienced player with separation ability in the slot

This.  I agree that it’s time to mix a healthy Sanders into the slot.  Depending on weather conditions, I’m not against running a little four wide here and there to see what happens.  I appreciate that four WR takes Knox/Singletary off of the field, and that those guys have played well recently.  But it’s a unique matchup advantage that may work in our favor.  

The other consideration is that this is round three with these guys in the last two months.  So we may have to break out something different.  Didn’t NE run some packages with Hernandez in the backfield many years ago?  It’s not the craziest idea; again, weather dependent, I’d almost rather see us run 4 wide with Knox in the backfield than give Moss a series (as we did yesterday).  Saturday will be interesting.  

7 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

I don’t begrudge the approach last night.  We didn’t start to throw the ball against NE at home until it was too late.  We have to try to throw into the wind.  And, the Jets played it pretty tight to the LOS when we faced the wind.  So we had to try to throw the ball. 

This.  I agree that it’s time to mix a healthy Sanders into the slot.  Depending on weather conditions, I’m not against running a little four wide here and there to see what happens.  I appreciate that four WR takes Knox/Singletary off of the field, and that those guys have played well recently.  But it’s a unique matchup advantage that may work in our favor.  

The other consideration is that this is round three with these guys in the last two months.  So we may have to break out something different.  Didn’t NE run some packages with Hernandez in the backfield many years ago?  It’s not the craziest idea; again, weather dependent, I’d almost rather see us run 4 wide with Knox in the backfield than give Moss a series (as we did yesterday).  Saturday will be interesting.  

I’m saying keep Knox in and sit Beasley altogether!! Have McKenzie in backfield to run screens/wheel routes against LBs

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

Issues-

took him over half a season to move from zone to gap on runs

play design…there aren’t many easy yards outside Allen and Diggs winning 1v1. 

wasted downs. These get important when stakes are higher and we can’t be smashing singletary power for -1 yard every time we get into the red zone.

Took him longer to figure out how to defeat the cover 2 shell defense. 

With all the talent in this Buffalo receiver corps... you would think we would see continued improvement / innovation in the passing offense. 

Week 16 against NE, Lil dirty had 12 targets, 11 receptions for 125 yards, 1 TD. Awesome game.

Then against Atlanta the very next week, 2 targets, 1 reception for 6 yards.

Against the Jets this week, 1 target, 1 reception, 9 yards. Meanwhile, Gabe Davis, 14 targets, 3 receptions for 39 yards. I don't get it.

Daboll is really stubborn. He struggles with adjusting what he wants to do based on conditions.

Like many have said, we need to run more, more creative runs, like counters, we need more RB screens and better situational calls. This has really improved during our 4 game streak, but has had retrograde moments that revert back to "huck it deep" Daboll...which usually results in stagnation.

Daboll seems lost on how to adjust to weather. 

Daboll needs to watch old K gun games and see how many runs, how many screens we ran. How much down field stuff we didn't do when weather was bad. 

Daboll equates running the ball with not being aggressive....which I just can't wrap my head around.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Azucho98 said:

Quick passes to the LOS keep being called with a success rate of 0.003%.  Real head scratcher.

Yeah that play NEVER works.  THE UGLY

What does work is letting Allen run with the ball any time we are 5 yards and less from the Goal Line.  No need to throw from there with Josh.  THE GOOD

I think we need to stick to the run and not abandon it nor stick with it stubbornly in the first half.  The OL needs the balance to have a chance to dominate in the 4th quarter.   THE BAD.

6 hours ago, HIT BY SPIKES said:

I am just wondered what the thoughts are of how Brian Daboll's play calling is working in general and one some particular plays specifically.

Long time listener.  First time caller.

Execution >>>> Play calling.  

I think it's fair to suggest he has a tendency to call overly thought-out, overly complex, trick plays (to an extent), when a conventional play would not only work, but would be much better.

When his complex play blows up, we are that much further behind for the next play, and that's the type of play calling that inhibits your ability to get first downs.

Sometimes his play calls function as our own enemy.

And when we have the ball on the 5 yard line or closer, I swear to God, Daboll has not yet figured out the play ALWAYS must be a Josh Allen run.  It's the most effective single thing this offense does...and yet Daboll often does not call that play in those situations! 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Gabe had a rough game yesterday. 

At this point I always expect him to be limping around. 

He always seems to be hobbled. 

It will be interesting to see if the Bills put Sanders right back in as the starter if he plays against New England. 

2 hours ago, RichRiderBills said:

Daboll is really stubborn. He struggles with adjusting what he wants to do based on conditions.

Like many have said, we need to run more, more creative runs, like counters, we need more RB screens and better situational calls. This has really improved during our 4 game streak, but has had retrograde moments that revert back to "huck it deep" Daboll...which usually results in stagnation.

Daboll seems lost on how to adjust to weather. 

Daboll needs to watch old K gun games and see how many runs, how many screens we ran. How much down field stuff we didn't do when weather was bad. 

Daboll equates running the ball with not being aggressive....which I just can't wrap my head around.

Watch the first drive in the @ New England game. 

The Bills took 7 minutes off the clock and kept converting short passes. 

Like the McKenzie stuff, it's in the bag of tricks, but the Bills don't put it together as easy as they did last year. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

At this point I always expect him to be limping around. 

He always seems to be hobbled. 

It will be interesting to see if the Bills put Sanders right back in as the starter if he plays against New England. 

Watch the first drive in the @ New England game. 

The Bills took 7 minutes off the clock and kept converting short passes. 

Like the McKenzie stuff, it's in the bag of tricks, but the Bills don't put it together as easy as they did last year. 

Yes you are right NE gameplan was a huge step forward. We had a great first 2 drive s n this jets game too. He has to resist reverting back though.

The Bad:Josh, doesn't like cold weather. It seems at times he is trying to get rid of the ball too fast, so he can get his hands back in his jersey pocket. What does he have in there, a hand warmer?

The Good:McKenzie is still under the radar for the playoffs!

The Ugly:The totally predictable, play calling, that everybody and their Mama can see coming. 

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I've been wondering the same thing.  It does seem like Beas is struggling to get open.  

9 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

No threat to throw, it's only marginally better when they run Wildcat with McKittrick.

Who is McKittrick?

I see the name here frequently but have no idea who he is. I have watched almost ever game since 1995 and have no idea who he is.  Even my friend DuckDuckGo was of no hep.

The pro football Bills all time roster does not list a McKittrick. https://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/buffalo-bills/alltime-roster?letter=M

As far as bad play calling yesterday I would go with every time we got too 1st and goal it was Singletary up the middle. I know we did it 3 times a row with the same result. No gain.

Edited by reddogblitz

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.