Daboll's Play Calling -- The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

HIT BY SPIKES

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

I've been wondering the same thing.  It does seem like Beas is struggling to get open.  

He's 34 years old, coming off a broken leg. 

McKenzie is 26/27 and ran a 4.43. 

The speed is obvious. 

Maybe there is better understanding from Beasley on where to go in route running, but isn't the New England game obvious that McKenzie's speed makes up for any route running he doesn't have? Because he made a bunch of difficult/clutch catches in that game. 

And he scores TDs on much fewer touches of the ball. 

What could have McKenzie done on 64 catches this year like Beasley got? 

Or 55% Snap Count?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

He's 34 years old, coming off a broken leg. 

McKenzie is 26/27 and ran a 4.43. 

The speed is obvious. 

Maybe there is better understanding from Beasley on where to go in route running, but isn't the New England game obvious that McKenzie's speed makes up for any route running he doesn't have? Because he made a bunch of difficult/clutch catches in that game. 

And he scores TDs on much fewer touches of the ball. 

What could have McKenzie done on 64 catches this year like Beasley got? 

Or 55% Snap Count?

Yup.

Seems like a no brainer.

On 1/10/2022 at 1:08 PM, RichRiderBills said:

Daboll is really stubborn. He struggles with adjusting what he wants to do based on conditions.

Like many have said, we need to run more, more creative runs, like counters, we need more RB screens and better situational calls. This has really improved during our 4 game streak, but has had retrograde moments that revert back to "huck it deep" Daboll...which usually results in stagnation.

Daboll seems lost on how to adjust to weather. 

Daboll needs to watch old K gun games and see how many runs, how many screens we ran. How much down field stuff we didn't do when weather was bad. 

Daboll equates running the ball with not being aggressive....which I just can't wrap my head around.

Daboll seems lost on how to adjust to a lot of different things. With as much NFL OC experience as the man has he should be able to adjust to anything at any time. 8 years as an NFL OC. 

That Jacksonville Jaguars 6-9 loss comes to mind 47 passing attempts against a defense putting a ton of pressure on Allen. things got worse as the game went on too. Just keep passing the ball.

Drive Chart, FG, FG, Punt, Punt, INT, INT, Punt Fumble, Downs. 

Seriously, only 6 Bills points scored against the 2-6 Jags with the 30th ranked defense. It was a 59 degree day so ya can't blame the heat, save the heat on Allen 4x sacks, 8 QB hits. 

With what happened last season after the team was destroying opponents just before the playoffs. 49-19 at Denver. 38-9 at NE. 56-26 Miami at Buffalo to end the 2020 season.

Then Playoffs, barley beating the Colts 27-24. Only scoring 10 offensive points against the Ravens. Getting blown out by the Chiefs in the AFC Championship game 24-38. 

The last two games this season the Bills were faltering on offense against some scrub teams in Atlanta with the 29th ranked defense, and NY Jets with the 32nd ranked defense. Now this game, the Patriots have the #2 defense just behind the Bills.

I have no faith that Daboll will focus on the the Patriots game over setting up his resume for his interviews. Besides, Bill Belichick almost never gets beaten by the same team twice a season. He will have the Patriots ready! 

I'm hoping that McD has a backup plan for this game should the Buffalo offense fall on its face in the first half.

**I have visions of the 1990 SB running through my head. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nihilarian said:

Daboll seems lost on how to adjust to a lot of different things. With as much NFL OC experience as the man has he should be able to adjust to anything at any time. 8 years as an NFL OC. 

That Jacksonville Jaguars 6-9 loss comes to mind 47 passing attempts against a defense putting a ton of pressure on Allen. things got worse as the game went on too. Just keep passing the ball.

Drive Chart, FG, FG, Punt, Punt, INT, INT, Punt Fumble, Downs. 

Seriously, only 6 Bills points scored against the 2-6 Jags with the 30th ranked defense. It was a 59 degree day so ya can't blame the heat, save the heat on Allen 4x sacks, 8 QB hits. 

With what happened last season after the team was destroying opponents just before the playoffs. 49-19 at Denver. 38-9 at NE. 56-26 Miami at Buffalo to end the 2020 season.

Then Playoffs, barley beating the Colts 27-24. Only scoring 10 offensive points against the Ravens. Getting blown out by the Chiefs in the AFC Championship game 24-38. 

The last two games this season the Bills were faltering on offense against some scrub teams in Atlanta with the 29th ranked defense, and NY Jets with the 32nd ranked defense. Now this game, the Patriots have the #2 defense just behind the Bills.

I have no faith that Daboll will focus on the the Patriots game over setting up his resume for his interviews. Besides, Bill Belichick almost never gets beaten by the same team twice a season. He will have the Patriots ready! 

I'm hoping that McD has a backup plan for this game should the Buffalo offense fall on its face in the first half.

**I have visions of the 1990 SB running through my head. 

The silver lining was Daboll's play calling that last Patriots game. It was exceptionally good, and we've run the ball more and more effectively. 

I think our performance on short screens and making Allen take a few more check downs ( quicker ) is a work in progress.

Edited by RichRiderBills

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.