Rashaad Penny would fit nicely with the Bills’ offense.

Tipster19

6 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Surprised to see everyone clamoring for Patterson when James Conner is FA next year. He might not enjoy the split carries he has down there. Think he'd be a great fit down here, younger, 1000% process guy, and have a chance to take more than the 50% of snaps he sees now.

He'd be nice with his 14td's but he averages 3.7 ypa and would still have to split carries with Allen and the rb's

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Nope - want nothing to do with him myself.  He has talent, but can’t stay healthy and adds little to the backfield the majority of the time. 

I would rather see Cordarrelle Patterson by far than Penny.  Patterson is on a 3 million contract - can play RB and WR and can run some of those gadget plays and he has been remarkably healthy across his career playing all 16 games most years and 15 games a couple of times.

Let Penny get overpaid by some team for limited production and a guy that will miss between 5-8 games a season.

Patterson is not a prototype back mof since they moved him to full time starter during middle of the season  he’s been pretty average. I’d much rather roll the dice on Penny he’s younger and seems to have gotten past the injury bug

5 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Patterson is not a prototype back mof since they moved him to full time starter during middle of the season  he’s been pretty average. I’d much rather roll the dice on Penny he’s younger and seems to have gotten past the injury bug

I will give you Penny is younger, but I do no see how anyone can say he has gotten past the injury bug.  He has missed multiple stretches of games this year and is on pace for just 10 games played for the season.  In four years he has played 14, 10, 3, and maybe 10 games.  Due to his availability - he is league minimum value at best

His Y/A is nice, but he catches no passes at all - Never getting double digits receptions and he is hurt all of the time.  I just do not see what he brings that changes this team and I certainly would not want to pay him due to his availability.  He gives you the same 1 dimension that you get out o Singletary and Moss - with a touch more speed countered by missing 6+ games a year.

You are absolutely correct that Patterson is not a prototypical back and that is the exact reason I like him.  We have Moss and Singletary to be prototype backs.  Patterson gives you more speed to hit the edge and even better more flexibility to split out and play his original position of WR (51 catches at a 75% rate and over 10.5 Y/R) forcing teams to have to adjust how they are covering him.  His running ability and speed make him a good candidate for the trick plays, sweeps, looping motion that Daboll likes.  

Plus he has been a 1st team All-Pro and multi-time ProBowl player due to kick-off returns.  You have that position solidified and if you bring back McKenzie - you have a Punt returner.  Finally, he has made money in this league - He is currently on a 3 million dollar contract and he spent years with Diggs in Minnesota - I think you could go after him with a similar deal for 2 years trying to get a ring and add another genuinely good guy and team first player into the mix.

Just my opinion.

11 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

What is that DEpth wise or  talent wise

If it’s depth wise then that just means you go early on a guard

It's more of a quality issue over depth.  Zero interior llineman in most "guru's" top 50.  The experts used to be way off, but in recent years they seem to be fairly consistent with how GMs rank prospects.

I don't think Penny is any better than Moss, in fact I would rather have Moss who is good in pass protection and more reliable (along with having some upside being only a fairly healthy second year player) than Penny. With Singletary playing better as of late and Moss/Breida being backup caliber RB's I don't think the Bills need to bring in any RB's. What they have on the roster is good enough. The issue has been and will be O-line play. Look at Najee Harris with the Steelers. The Steelers brought in Harris to improve their run game while not fixing their o-line issues. Harris averaged 4 yards per carry less than the previous years leading running back Conner who averaged 4.3. Yes Harris has a larger work load but the point is that a better RB behind a flawed line isn't the way to go.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

I will give you Penny is younger, but I do no see how anyone can say he has gotten past the injury bug.  He has missed multiple stretches of games this year and is on pace for just 10 games played for the season.  In four years he has played 14, 10, 3, and maybe 10 games.  Due to his availability - he is league minimum value at best

His Y/A is nice, but he catches no passes at all - Never getting double digits receptions and he is hurt all of the time.  I just do not see what he brings that changes this team and I certainly would not want to pay him due to his availability.  He gives you the same 1 dimension that you get out o Singletary and Moss - with a touch more speed countered by missing 6+ games a year.

You are absolutely correct that Patterson is not a prototypical back and that is the exact reason I like him.  We have Moss and Singletary to be prototype backs.  Patterson gives you more speed to hit the edge and even better more flexibility to split out and play his original position of WR (51 catches at a 75% rate and over 10.5 Y/R) forcing teams to have to adjust how they are covering him.  His running ability and speed make him a good candidate for the trick plays, sweeps, looping motion that Daboll likes.  

Plus he has been a 1st team All-Pro and multi-time ProBowl player due to kick-off returns.  You have that position solidified and if you bring back McKenzie - you have a Punt returner.  Finally, he has made money in this league - He is currently on a 3 million dollar contract and he spent years with Diggs in Minnesota - I think you could go after him with a similar deal for 2 years trying to get a ring and add another genuinely good guy and team first player into the mix.

Just my opinion.

I’d take Patterson as multi threat as you indicated but that shouldn’t stop us from bringing in a better prototype back like Penny. I realize he’s been hurt for the better part of his career but it seems like he’s gotten past those injuries and because of those injuries he’s going to get basically a 1yr prove it deal . With that being said he would probably love a chance to play on this offense and on top of that the Bills have an elite strength and conditioning program to help Penny stay healthy. 

Penny is an elite running back when healthy he’s a big time upgrade over Singletary and Moss. Yes he’s not the best pass catcher from his position but he can catch and if we signed Patterson with him that would be a great combo to have.  I think we can afford to sign both and they won’t cost a ton of money especially Penny. He’s got to prove a full year of health before any team gives him multi yr deal. 

33 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I don't think Penny is any better than Moss, in fact I would rather have Moss who is good in pass protection and more reliable (along with having some upside being only a fairly healthy second year player) than Penny. With Singletary playing better as of late and Moss/Breida being backup caliber RB's I don't think the Bills need to bring in any RB's. What they have on the roster is good enough. The issue has been and will be O-line play. Look at Najee Harris with the Steelers. The Steelers brought in Harris to improve their run game while not fixing their o-line issues. Harris averaged 4 yards per carry less than the previous years leading running back Conner who averaged 4.3. Yes Harris has a larger work load but the point is that a better RB behind a flawed line isn't the way to go.

The issue is both the Oline and the running backs . Singletary and Moss don’t have enough speed to threaten the outside consistently which makes it much easier for opponents to game plan for them because everything basically gets funneled to inside runs. That’s a big problem and it might hinder the Oline ability to block based on that alone. I believe we need 2 new starters at guards  along with making Bates are new starting center. 

The identity of this team is always going to be past first but we need to revamp the backfield and the guards so that we can have a better more efficient running game. 

I definitely see this team making changes at RB despite Singletary coming on strong of late, but it's likely going to be the same type of veteran signing we've seen in recent years (i.e. Gore/Breida/Yeldon) vs. a big name/contract type of signing.

If not probably another mid/late round draft pick.

7 hours ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

It's more of a quality issue over depth.  Zero interior llineman in most "guru's" top 50.  The experts used to be way off, but in recent years they seem to be fairly consistent with how GMs rank prospects.

So I am totally ok with going OG in the 2nd round.   This next draft is supposed to be heavy in edge players and we need to improve our pass rush.  I also wouldnt cry over a 1st round RB if they were exceptional.

18 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

So I am totally ok with going OG in the 2nd round.   This next draft is supposed to be heavy in edge players and we need to improve our pass rush.  I also wouldnt cry over a 1st round RB if they were exceptional.

How do I know this is really you, John?!?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.