Career-worst single-game passer rating

Shaw66

Good point. Every QB has a bad passing day and usually the team loses. It's when they become a pattern that's concerning. Don't think that will happen with Josh. I screamed shhht when he threw the third and started to worry, but when the D bailed us out then we went ahead and got the 2 pt conversion I figure we were going to win. 

He'll have a few more stinkers passing, but I'm thrilled he's with the Bills.

12 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

Interesting that three of those worst games were at Hymark stadium which is notoriously tough to throw in, even when the weather seems OK.  In addition to the winds, there used to be a huge crown on the field as well but I think they softened it. 

Dome time 😎

56 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Lol passer rating is a terrible stat but it is quite literally the best stat for evaluating QB’s.

The best stat for evaluating passers. There’s just too much more to the position that can’t be measured by throwing stats. 

Allen had a craptastic day as a passer, but a very good day as a quarterback. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Passer rating, as strange as it sounds, should include rushing TDs... Just as good as a passing TD.

Josh had 2. 

Thats QBR

I think if they needed to pass more in the second half he would have and his passer rating would have climbed.  It was good to see the rushing TDs late in the game but those could have also been pasing TDs if Daboll wanted. 

Sorry but there was no excuse on the red zone pick. It was a bad decision.  Agree on the OP comments on #2 wit hehe added caveat that Beasley was held 10 yards downfield and #3. 

• Like (+1) 3

What is fascinating about passer rating is how strongly TD passes and INTs influence the numbers. You throw three pics and no TDs and your rating will be awful. While Kelly threw 3 picks and 5tDs on Monday night against Cincy in 1991 and had a great rating.

Edited by RJ (not THAT RJ)
fixed typo

Its called passer rating. Not player impact rating, all around rating, how good is he rating. It was really to weird performance. Bad throwing the int's and ultra inefficient, thus low passer rating. Yet he made huge plays with his legs and on a number 3rd/4th downs when needed. 

9 minutes ago, FireChans said:

You’re right. Peterman has actually had better games passing than Josh did yesterday. 

Unfortunately, it sounds like you don’t like the stat because it makes Josh Allen look bad. There’s nothing we can do about that. Passer rating doesn’t care if you had reciever drops (Josh isn’t the only one who gets hurt by drops in the NFL). Passer rating doesn’t care if your QB is under duress (Josh isn’t the only one who gets pressured). All passer rating cares about is your statistical output and it spits out a number. Josh’s was terrible and thus his passer rating is terrible. End of story.

I never said a word about passer rating. I never said Josh didn't have a bad day or that he didn't look bad. I simply responded to your statement, "And he did have a Nate Peterman day passing." If you were referring only to the statistics in being Peterman like, then my bad and I wouldn't argue.

However, if you are talking about his actual play on the field yesterday (in the passing game) as well as his stats. I stand by what I said. His actual play, while not good, and resulting in dismal stats, was in no way close to being Petermanesque.

I just see them as separate issues and important distinctions in evaluating his play. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, ngbills said:

Its called passer rating. Not player impact rating, all around rating, how good is he rating. It was really to weird performance. Bad throwing the int's and ultra inefficient, thus low passer rating. Yet he made huge plays with his legs and on a number 3rd/4th downs when needed. 

It is not passer rating when it fails to adjust for things like tipped balls.

It should be noted that the only one of the "ace" quarterbacks noted as having bad games had them in anything resembling yesterday's weather. 

Rodgers 21-13 loss to the Bills was in 38 degree weather.

Every other one of the quarterbacks listed had those days either in a Dome [Brees vs. Falcons] or in weather that Buffalo would consider a beautiful summer or fall day.

Yesterday was 26 degrees 11 mph wind, and intermittent snow.

One thing I noticed about Allen yesterday is he seemed completely unwaivered by his passing performance. You could tell he was still in control, confident, and having fun. 

Usually when a QB throws 3 picks and 40% it’s a blowout loss, not a double digit win. 

Edited by TheyCallMeAndy
  • Like (+1) 2

I think the defense and Allen pulled us out. Defense didn't allow another point to be scored by the Falcons after the half which helped out. Although we have Matt Ryan to partially thank for that. 

Anyone watching the game knew Allen wasn't the real problem on the field. Illegal contact or holding on Beasley was a direct cause of one INT. 2 other tipped balls.

Its a drag on his stats sure, but he got the job done. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

One thing I noticed about Allen yesterday is he seemed completely unwaivered by his passing performance. You could tell he was still in control, confident, and having fun. 

Usually when a QB throws 3 picks and 40% it’s a blowout loss, not a double digit win. 

"No problem.  We got this."   He impressed me against the Pats, and he impressed me yesterday.  There was this "I'm the QB, and I got this" attitude about him, even after the third INT.  I think that attitude has its effect on the rest of the team.  They see it in their leader, and they realize that all they need to do is their jobs.  

The continuing growth of Josh Allen. 

• Like (+1) 1

With one single data point, this is honestly meaningless.  To prove the point, I just quickly went through Allen and Brady's game logs to see their records in games where their quarterback ratings were sub-65 (i.e., "Bad Games").  Brady is 10-23 (.303 winning percentage) and Allen is 2-9 (.182 win percentage).

3 minutes ago, bmur66 said:

I don’t think I’d care much to try catching one of his frozen missiles . Dude had no touch yesterday and he knew it. It was like he said this ain’t working. F it. I’m running it today.

I think it's going to take Josh a little longer to find that fine line between touch and missiles. Alot of his first drive throws were way too hard. We knew he's trying to compensate for wind, snow etc.  He's just going to find that happy medium. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.