Black Monday(UPDATED: Fangio OUT; Zim & Spielman OUT; Nagy & Pace OUT; Flores OUT; Judge OUT; Culley OUT)

GunnerBill

On 1/2/2022 at 5:23 AM, Baba Booey said:

Matt Rhule is not gonna be fired after 2 years. He’s owed waaayyyy too much money. A good coach, just needs time, and a QB. 

disagree about the money.  Tepper would feel embarrassed, but he doesnt seem to be the type to throw good money after bad.  

Tepper wants a franchise QB.  He told anyone who would listen, before he bought the team, that the NFL is designed for every team to be .500 so the only way to break out from the pack is with a Franchise Quarterback.  And secondly, to spend whatEVER is necessary on things that are not limited by the salary cap.

So, he will keep swing for Franchise QB and also Franchise HC.  I still see deshawn watson there.  I now see him woo-ing Aaron Rodgers and maybe settling for Russell Wilson.

(14) Adam Rittenberg on Twitter: "Re: Jim Harbaugh/NFL situation @BruceFeldmanCFB reported, the Raiders are likeliest spot if JH wants to return to NFL. He started coaching career w/ Oak Raiders. Before Michigan, he and his wife lived on West Coast. I'd heard Giants job could have interested him if it was open." / Twitter

On 1/2/2022 at 12:54 PM, GunnerBill said:

I'd surprised if anyone is hired out of college this year. With the Urban experiment and the Rhule situation fresh in minds I'd be surprised if anyone went that way. 

Harbaugh is the exception.

47 minutes ago, Greg S said:

(14) Adam Rittenberg on Twitter: "Re: Jim Harbaugh/NFL situation @BruceFeldmanCFB reported, the Raiders are likeliest spot if JH wants to return to NFL. He started coaching career w/ Oak Raiders. Before Michigan, he and his wife lived on West Coast. I'd heard Giants job could have interested him if it was open." / Twitter

Geez...he knows baseball, too?!

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

PERFECT  opportunity for a Chicago radio station to hold a 'YOU coach da Bears' contest.  I think the only one left from those skits is George Wendt.

Hey, anyone got Ditka's phone number?

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Haha (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea I wasn't really thinking if Harbaugh. I don't really think of him as a college coach.

That’s sad but true 

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

He gone. His DL coach just took a lateral move to USC. 

I can see how coaching college would be amazing on a winning program. 

Colleges are fun places, you're a huge star on campus and around town, and you win bowl games and national titles. College coaches make some pretty good money too, and have total control over the roster and typically huge talent advantages most weeks.

But still, somewhere in that competitive side of you I would think there would be a "yeah but" because you're not doing it on the biggest stage. 

I think most coaches are interchangeable for the most part, aside from the truly great ones, who are great because they connect to people and can TEACH what they know to others. 

Coaching IS teaching, and vice versa. That's why guys like Urban Meyer, who got by on just having superior talent, fail in the NFL once they actually need to communicate with players and work with them. 

You can be the smartest coach on Earth, but if you can't teach your system in a way that players can understand (or feel that doing so is "beneath you") and execute none of that matters. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Jim Harbaugh feels like he was just waiting to make the playoffs once so that he could say his time in Michigan was a success before he jumped.... him with the Raiders would be interesting. 

If I'm the Raiders, I'm keeping the intern coach.  Being in the playoff hunt after all the turmoil this year is amazing.  Harbaugh is overrated, tons of talent at Michigan, never gets it done.  

Edited by RyanC883
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

Harbaugh is a really good coach. 

IMO really good coaches will succeed anywhere because the skills are transferrable. The limiting factor in the NFL is having a QB (see Saban in Miami). Plus, Saban had NFL experience working on Belichick's staff in Cleveland. 

On the topic of hot seats, I can't imagine why the Giants would keep Joe Judge. He's been terrible and he apparently grates on players and coaches. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

On 1/2/2022 at 8:03 AM, Buddo said:

Carolina might be an option for Daboll, if he can persuade Trubisky to go with him, as might be the Jags, as I mentioned before (without Trubisky). With Trubisky, the Broncos might also be a slot he could drop into.

I've seen this thought expressed a bunch of times - but why would Daboll want to tether himself to Trubisky for his first HC shot?

1 minute ago, 416BillsFan said:

I've seen this thought expressed a bunch of times - but why would Daboll want to tether himself to Trubisky for his first HC shot?

If I'm Daboll I would want the Jacksonville job. 

1. You get Lawrence to work with.

2. You're basically guaranteed a few years after Urban, as long as you are somewhat competent and not a jerk. 

3. If you win on ANY level, even go 8-8 you look like a genius. 

• Like (+1) 4

3 hours ago, maddenboy said:

disagree about the money.  Tepper would feel embarrassed, but he doesnt seem to be the type to throw good money after bad.  

Tepper wants a franchise QB.  He told anyone who would listen, before he bought the team, that the NFL is designed for every team to be .500 so the only way to break out from the pack is with a Franchise Quarterback.  And secondly, to spend whatEVER is necessary on things that are not limited by the salary cap.

So, he will keep swing for Franchise QB and also Franchise HC.  I still see deshawn watson there.  I now see him woo-ing Aaron Rodgers and maybe settling for Russell Wilson.

So we are in agreement, I mentioned he needs a QB. He isn’t getting rid of Rhule just two years in. 

7 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Geez...he knows baseball, too?!

PERFECT  opportunity for a Chicago radio station to hold a 'YOU coach da Bears' contest.  I think the only one left from those skits is George Wendt.

Hey, anyone got Ditka's phone number?

Nagy was a dead man walking for weeks now

7 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

I can see how coaching college would be amazing on a winning program. 

Colleges are fun places, you're a huge star on campus and around town, and you win bowl games and national titles. College coaches make some pretty good money too, and have total control over the roster and typically huge talent advantages most weeks.

But still, somewhere in that competitive side of you I would think there would be a "yeah but" because you're not doing it on the biggest stage. 

I think most coaches are interchangeable for the most part, aside from the truly great ones, who are great because they connect to people and can TEACH what they know to others. 

Coaching IS teaching, and vice versa. That's why guys like Urban Meyer, who got by on just having superior talent, fail in the NFL once they actually need to communicate with players and work with them. 

You can be the smartest coach on Earth, but if you can't teach your system in a way that players can understand (or feel that doing so is "beneath you") and execute none of that matters. 

Coaching at the college level is about teaching and recruiting talent.

Coaching at the NFL level is definitely NOT about that.  It's about scheming and managing people.

5 hours ago, 416BillsFan said:

Re: Trubisky. What exactly has he done this past year to make himself more sought after than he was a year ago? Is it just the halo of riding the bench on a winning team?

No knock on Trubisky. I actually don't understand why the Broncos went after Teddy Bridgewater instead of Mitch. But the bottom line is he had to settle for being a backup behind one of the best QBs in football, so I have to assume nobody really pursued him as a starter. And then this season: Teddy Bridgewater performed with the Broncos exactly as anyone should have expected Teddy Bridgewater to perform. So now they want to dump him in favor of a guy they could have had instead of him last year?

Bad NFL teams are just weird. Maybe that's why they're bad. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.